• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Chickens 2023/2024

Ours molted starting two months ago. They just about all have their feathers back and theyve resumed laying at a highe rate. Not all chickens molt every year.

Anyone else notice their ladies molting? I don’t see it with my flock yet.
yes, they started a month ago. maybe earlier. they are nearing full plumage but I don't expect eggs till early spring... maybe when the light starts to return.

they do look funny though with bare necks and feathers all over the coop. the new feathers are blood red at first and can incite other chickens to attack.

My oldest hen started in August. Most of them are almost done but 2 so far haven't started. I'm hoping they get on with it before it gets really cold. The others of their same breed and age are finished.

I understand molting in the fall, and going into winter with nice new feathers, but right now I have one broody duck, and a goose that is laying. We have 6 geese and 5 ganders, all it takes is for 1 to start laying and all the boys are fighting again. They generally only lay in the spring, and fight club is a spring time event, but not this year.

If you want your birds to keep laying, add a light to the coup with a timer to extend the day 4 hours into night past dusk and on 2hrs before dawn. It can be a small light. We use a 10W flush mount LED.

Feeding them cracked corn also increases production.

90% of their egg laying is based on light.

Well my son came home from his girlfriends tonight and as he was getting ready for bed heard a noise and thought someone was breaking into his work van. Woke me up as he grabbed his flashlight and it was a huge black bear ripping into my wife’s silkie chicken coop. Got 2 of the 4 hens but the 6 baby chicks made it. Coop is pretty trashed on one end. As we were assessing the damage the big bastards circled around the yard from the front and we spotted him over on the side by our hoop-house/greenhouse. We scared him away again. Thing is he went right by the other coop with the 8 egg laying hens. Tomorrow I will be trying to fix it and probably be getting some electric fencing. We have chicken wire around the outside
of the coops and then about an acre fenced(with the red top 4’ fence)in around them for keeping the dogs in.
72137470125__0250E89B-FB5A-4434-BA7F-2F86408EA35F.jpeg

1700750992674.png

wildly unrelated, but I have a massive herd of about 10-15 turkeys that are always in/around my yard, a few weeks ago my cleaners called me in a panic while I was at the office and they go "sir! sir, your chickens got out!" I was so confused until I realized what she was on about haha. in their defense, my neighbors have a pretty big coop set up

View attachment 819934
Amazon product ASIN B09B379SZPView: https://www.amazon.com/What-Fuster-Cluck-Farmhouse-Outdoors/dp/B09B379SZP?th=1

I have this one on my run door

Had my coop door not latch and blow open, and a racoon got in. It killed my handicapped (bad leg) Jersey Giant and one of my barred rocks who was a prolific layer.

The idiot rooster sat on it's perch. The hens scream when they're attacked.

The f*cker was bold as brass and didn't even pretend it was alarmed when I approached it with a shovel. One swing changed it's mind and it bolted.

If the shovel didn't work, I was going to give it a 115 grain enema

The neighbors Pitt Bulls got into my yard yesterday and went after the chickens. It was fortunate I didn't let them out of the run. They couldn't get through the hardware cloth.

Back
Top Bottom