Chicken owner 1 - Raccoon 0

Steve600

NES Member
Last month a raccoon broke into my neighbors chicken coop and killed every one of his birds. Then the bastard started digging under my fence trying to get to mine. Every night it would return, eat any pellets of food on the ground and try and break into my coop. I started putting out Haveaheart traps and it outsmarted me, tripping the doors and eating all the bait. Obviously it has encountered traps before. This has been going on for several weeks with three traps. So I covered the largest one with cardboard, weighted it down with 75 lbs or so, modified it so it only used one door, and covered it with brush and 2x4 to conceal it. Scored….. caught that bastard this morning. It looked like wtf when I removed the cardboard so I could get a look at it. It was a big female. I shot it with a .22 short and it died rather quickly. Hopefully this will be the end of my raccoon problems. B61C6B63-24A3-4B99-B3B7-CC1FFBCC074C.jpeg

Last month a raccoon broke into my neighbors chicken coop and killed every one of his birds. Then the bastard started digging under my fence trying to get to mine. Every night it would return, eat any pellets of food on the ground and try and break into my coop. I started putting out Haveaheart traps and it outsmarted me, tripping the doors and eating all the bait. Obviously it has encountered traps before. This has been going on for several weeks with three traps. So I covered the largest one with cardboard, weighted it down with 75 lbs or so, modified it so it only used one door, and covered it with brush and 2x4 to conceal it. Scored….. caught that bastard this morning. It looked like wtf when I removed the cardboard so I could get a look at it. It was a big female. I shot it with a .22 short and it died rather quickly. Hopefully this will be the end of my raccoon problems.View attachment 762765

I had a similar story once, but minus the chickens. And I caught the bastard in my own basement. And I used a bigger caliber.

Yearly ordeal for me. I live pretty rural, and I'll trap 8-9 a season then be good till next year. This year though, I've got one digging under the run, so I put large rocks in the hole and set a live trap. Its getting the bait from the live trap without tripping it, and pulling the rocks out of the hole Now, these are good size rocks, like 15lbs, barely grip and hold one one-handed, and its pulling them out of the hole and setting them aside. Tonight I'm setting a body gripper and some dog-proofs. Chickens are Ok cause their coop is a vault, the run, not so much.

I had a similar experience with a ground hog that was mowing down my garden a few years back.

No matter what I put in the trap he wouldn’t go for it. I tried everything I saw on line including melon. I did catch a couple of skinks that I managed to release without getting squirted.

I thought the trap might be the issue so I baited it again and brushed it in with some live sugar maple boughs. I look outside to check the trap and the bastard was standing on top of the trap eating the sugar maple leaves. He eventually went inside the cage to get at the leaves in the back that he couldn’t reach from above ending my problems.

Yearly ordeal for me. I live pretty rural, and I'll trap 8-9 a season then be good till next year. This year though, I've got one digging under the run, so I put large rocks in the hole and set a live trap. Its getting the bait from the live trap without tripping it, and pulling the rocks out of the hole Now, these are good size rocks, like 15lbs, barely grip and hold one one-handed, and its pulling them out of the hole and setting them aside. Tonight I'm setting a body gripper and some dog-proofs. Chickens are Ok cause their coop is a vault, the run, not so much.

One of them chewed a hole through my basement door. So, in a pinch, I blocked the opening with a full .50 ammo can. Came down the next morning to find the can moved aside and little pawprints all over it.

OK I'm glad I'm not the only one who got beat by a Raccoon

I had one tryi g to live in my shed so I borrowed my buddies have a heart trap and set dog food in it, damn thing took the food and never got trapped.

I boarded up a hole in the floor and it's been gone since but I'm still annoyed it beat me lol

A few years ago, a guy I worked with kept having a black bear break into his coop (like tearing through the outside wall), taking a few chickens at a time. He called NHF&G and nothing happened after several calls to them. It was basically "not my problem" with them.

One night he heard his dogs growling inside his house, he looked outside and saw that bear, a decent sized sow, trying to get into his coop again. He grabbed his 45-70, dropped the bear with a single shot, skinned it, butchered it and buried the rest of it with his backhoe, all before dawn. He said the meat was real good. [thumbsup]

I had a similar experience with a ground hog that was mowing down my garden a few years back.

No matter what I put in the trap he wouldn’t go for it. I tried everything I saw on line including melon. I did catch a couple of skinks that I managed to release without getting squirted.

I thought the trap might be the issue so I baited it again and brushed it in with some live sugar maple boughs. I look outside to check the trap and the bastard was standing on top of the trap eating the sugar maple leaves. He eventually went inside the cage to get at the leaves in the back that he couldn’t reach from above ending my problems.
Groundhogs are really smart and hard to catch in live traps, and they’re skittish. I did once after a full month of trying, but, otherwise they avoid it. I gave up a garden after a groundhog came out of nowhere one day and ate around $200 worth of vegetable plants in a day. unless you can shoot and kill them, you’ll likely never get them in a trap before they do all the damage. i have one in my neighborhood now and I see it every morning going to town on my neighbor’s garden, even digging under a fence to get to it.

Groundhogs are really smart and hard to catch in live traps, and they’re skittish. I did once after a full month of trying, but, otherwise they avoid it. I gave up a garden after a groundhog came out of nowhere one day and ate around $200 worth of vegetable plants in a day. unless you can shoot and kill them, you’ll likely never get them in a trap before they do all the damage. i have one in my neighborhood now and I see it every morning going to town on my neighbor’s garden, even digging under a fence to get to it.
Yup...I've tried to trap the bastards to no avail...I've ended up by shooting three of them. Only one was close enough to dispatch it with my 22. The other two ended up being taken out with an AR-15 with a scope at about 200 yards. I couldn't get any closer than that without them running off. 62gr HPBT rounds finished them off right quick. I saw another one yesterday, a young one about 100 yards away but I didn't have anything with me at the time that could shoot that far. I'll get it eventually.

I have a huge rabbit infestation this year. My German Shepherd got a couple of them but now they're smart and as soon as they hear the dogs they're gone in a Flash. I figure it's time to dig out the pellet rifle and take care of them.

One of them chewed a hole through my basement door. So, in a pinch, I blocked the opening with a full .50 ammo can. Came down the next morning to find the can moved aside and little pawprints all over it.
It was me who moved the ammo can. I just came by to visit talk about 2/505. At least I didn't take the ammo. Sorry about the dirty paw prints. My bad!

Groundhogs are really smart and hard to catch in live traps, and they’re skittish.
Try an open-ended trap--one that has doors on both ends. I've placed one on their trails (never used bait) and one year I caught six or seven of them.

Got my problem coon last night. I picked up a #16 conibear and made a bucket set, and picked up a few dog-proofs. I re-baited my live trap as well. Went out at 0330 this morning when I woke up for work and had a boss coon in the live trap. I was hoping it would go in the kill trap so i didn't have to shoot anything this morning and get the dogs barking but oh well, was glad to finally get that SOB.

Back
Top Bottom