Cherry Bomb by Q is a Quickie Fast-Attach muzzle brake: Legal in Mass?

Reptile

NES Member
Legal?

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 11.10.37 AM.jpeg

You do realize that the Cherry Bomb is a quick-detach muzzle device intended to be used to mount a Q suppressor, such as a Thunder Chicken, right?

That's a muzzle brake specifically for use with their silencers? Really f***ing pointless for someone in MA, or for someone that doesn't own their silencer. It also would be horrible to do a pin/weld job on.

A regular MI two chamber brake is about as good as it gets for reduced/straight back recoil impulse and its not a lot of money. I run regular A2's on my rifles, but my lowers are all pre ban.

You do realize that the Cherry Bomb is a quick-detach muzzle device intended to be used to mount a Q suppressor, such as a Thunder Chicken, right?
Yes, but I'm not using it for that.
I like the way it looks and it comes with some uppers I'm looking at.
That's a muzzle brake specifically for use with their silencers? Really f***ing pointless for someone in MA, or for someone that doesn't own their silencer. It also would be horrible to do a pin/weld job on.

A regular MI two chamber brake is about as good as it gets for reduced/straight back recoil impulse and its not a lot of money. I run regular A2's on my rifles, but my lowers are all pre ban.
All I want to know is if it is legal.

I'm hoping that the LE would look beyond the threads and realize that its not a FLASH HIDER - which is what I'm really trying to avoid for legal purposes.

Yes, but I'm not using it for that.
I like the way it looks and it comes with some uppers I'm looking at.

All I want to know is if it is legal.

I'm hoping that the LE would look beyond the threads and realize that its not a FLASH HIDER - which is what I'm really trying to avoid for legal purposes.
Sure it is legal, on a pre-ban lower.

On a post ban rifle it is useless. It's threaded, and pinning and welding it would put the pin/weld right in the middle of the silencer threads, making it legal, but also rendering it useless for it's intended purpose.

On a post ban rifle it is useless. It's threaded, and pinning and welding it would put the pin/weld right in the middle of the silencer threads, making it legal, but also rendering it useless for it's intended purpose.
Why would pinning a threaded break make it legal if the law says no threaded muzzles?

Why would pinning a threaded break make it legal if the law says no threaded muzzles?
Maybe they will prioritize what they choose to prosecute you for?

ALSO:

If I were to sell an upper with a Cherry Bomb - could I get in trouble?

I presume it's up to the buyer to make it legal and I would not be liable if he does not.

From a practicality standpoint, the Cherry Bomb can't be pinned and welded for two reasons: (1) there's no place for it to be done on the brake itself; and (2) if someone's trying to do a 14.5", 15" barrel --> 16", its too short. Q comes right out on their website and recommends against p/w'ing the Cherry Bomb.

Given how @Reptile has a penchant for Noveske, I'm assuming this is what he's interested in:

Noveske 16in Gen III Upper Receiver, 5.56, Recon, Nsr-15, M-Lok, Stainless Steel, Cherry Bomb MB, 03000337 — Color: Black, Finish: Anodized, Fabric/Material: Stainless Steel, Caliber: 5.56x45mm NATO — 3000337 — $71.25 Off

I would just... get a different upper or build my own.

The only argument I could see would be in the text of the law itself, which reads as follows;

(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel
designed to accommodate a flash suppressor;

Is a silencer a flash suppressor? In function, yes. But under MA law and US law, a "silencer" is a different item from a "flash suppressor". I wouldn't want to have to make that argument, or pay for you to try to make that argument... but the cherry bomb is only designed to thread on a silencer, or a linear compensator. I don't believe there is any flash suppressor built to fit its threads, and it certainly wasn't "designed to accommodate a flash suppressor". I would assume arguing that would be pissing in the wind, however.

You could put this device on top of the Cherry Bomb:

Ah I forgot about that. So it takes a silencer, a linear compensator, and a muzzle brake. And was designed to do so.

The real question is, when will Q make something fashionable (like in black) so I can get into their QD system.

Cherry bomb, like the shitty mufflers that the Honda's have

These QD brakes are actually pretty great. The flash hider equivalent, not so much...

The only beef I have with them is that they're all fancy schmancy case hardened colors and I really, really don't like my guns to look like Liberace put his gold pinky ring on the end.

Not if you pin and weld the damn thing because you'd have to drill and weld right in the middle of the threads.

OP has just been dying for a visit lately from seemingly any 3 letter agency with cheap suits and dark glasses.
5hs6c3.jpg

Dammit!
I clicked the link and now they're coming for me!

You’re like the Energizer bunny [rofl]
I was thinking it’s more meth related. lmao
Same/same?

From a practicality standpoint, the Cherry Bomb can't be pinned and welded for two reasons: (1) there's no place for it to be done on the brake itself; and (2) if someone's trying to do a 14.5", 15" barrel --> 16", its too short. Q comes right out on their website and recommends against p/w'ing the Cherry Bomb.

Given how @Reptile has a penchant for Noveske, I'm assuming this is what he's interested in:

Noveske 16in Gen III Upper Receiver, 5.56, Recon, Nsr-15, M-Lok, Stainless Steel, Cherry Bomb MB, 03000337 — Color: Black, Finish: Anodized, Fabric/Material: Stainless Steel, Caliber: 5.56x45mm NATO — 3000337 — $71.25 Off

I would just... get a different upper or build my own.
I could pin/weld it but like you say I would have to pin/weld it right in the middle of the threads on the outside of it which would ruin its functionality.

It still makes your barrel a threaded barrel. It could only be OK in Mass if you machined the threaded part off and it will have to be pinned and welded. This is a total waist of money and time and doesn't even make sense. There are a lot of other brakes on the market

The law says
  • Flash hider or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
A threaded muzzle brake is not a threaded bbl. Its also not designed to accomodate a flash hider.

So Its legal. Provided its "permanently affixed" to the threaded barrel.

This is not useless in certain use cases. A person has a rifle they wish to keep in MA but owns a home in NH and keeps a Q silencer in NH. Yes, its a pretty limited use case. but its there.

It still makes your barrel a threaded barrel. It could only be OK in Mass if you machined the threaded part off and it will have to be pinned and welded. This is a total waist of money and time and doesn't even make sense. There are a lot of other brakes on the market
the muzzle brake is not the barrel. Sorry. Words have meaning.

Back
Top Bottom