• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Checking in deer with IFW in Maine?

If I get lucky enough this season to get a deer up here in Maine what then? Other states I've hunted in require that you tag it, and go by a Game Warden check in station to report it.

Looking on the IFW site I'm not seeing anything about it.. any ideas/help/suggestions?

Just be sure to tag it immediately; you can then take it to a tagging station when you come out of the woods (if you don't come right out) If I manage to get my buck on the morning sit I usually spend the rest of the day coyote hunting.

Seeing as another state has been mentioned and I am sure the OP has his answer now, I have a bit of info. on the sate of Mass.

Next year, deer check-in will be done by PHONE only! (maybe on-line too, but not sure) Another words, no more check-in stations. I guess they are getting harder and harder to get a store to do and the sheep don't like seeing a deer hung up for weighing at the side lot of the mini-mart, it upsets them.

Last edited:
You know you need to put a transport tag on before you tag it at a station right? Once it's down in the woods you need to attach a tag (piece of paper) with your name, address, license # on it. Then you drag it out, load it up, I believe they got rid of the requirement that it has to be visible until it's officially tagged but I'm not 100% on that. You then take it to one of the tagging stations on the list, it generally costs $5 I think they might charge another buck or 2 if you want it weighed.

After that you just bring it to the butcher, when you pick up your meat make sure you keep the plastic tag with the meat it's illegal to possess meat you can't prove where it came from (or some such non-sense).

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom