Cheap Reloads

In my Bushmaster manual it says:

1. Use only quality 5.56mm or .223 Remington Ammunition suitable for your firearm. Examine each Cartridge - particularly around the primer. Look for dents, scratches, and other signs of damage.
DO NOT LOAD DAMAGED AMMUNITION!

At another location in the manual it says:

Bushmaster does not recommend the use of remanufactured or hand loaded ammunition because it may damage your rifle.

Well, I guess I don't follow their instructions because I am constantly on the lookout for low-cost ammunition and the lowest cost ammunition I can find is reloaded ammo. I guess lowest price reloaded ammo doesn't fit Bushmaster's admonition to use "quality" ammunition but I believe they put statements like that in their manual for liability reasons. In my opinion properly reloaded ammunition should be as good as newly manufactured ammo.

What I learned the hard way, however, is that you can get in trouble with reloaded ammunition. When examining the lower-cost ammo that I purchased I noticed a couple rounds that had dents. One of them was severely dented and I knew I didn't want to put it in my rifle and a second cartridge with small dents that I figured would be okay but to be safe I put it aside. But after happily going through a few hundred rounds of this ammo my rifle cycled a round but the bolt didn't completely close. The first thing I did was to tap the forward assist with the heel of my hand to no avail. Second, I removed the magazine and tried to pull back on the charging handle. I couldn't move it. What to do? What to do?

Fortunately I was at the range with people around me that know more what they are doing than I so I called for help. Two experts came over and tried the things that I had done and then tried to remove the lower but since the bolt carrier stuck back into the buffer we couldn't get the top to separate from the lower.

To make a long story short, I took my Bushmaster to a gunsmith and for a few dollars he disassembled the rifle and then tapped the offending cartridge from the chamber. The culprit was a dented cartridge that I hadn't noticed when loading the magazine. When he showed me the cartridge that caused the gun to jam I was surprised how small a dent would cause so much trouble.

I now check my rounds very carefully before inserting into a magazine. I guess Bushmaster really knows what they are talking about in their manual.

I have rarely seen a positive post where the words "cheap" and "reloads" are used together.

Actually up until the jam I was very happy with the "cheap relaods." They have been very accurate and reliable. Perhaps they are a little bit dirty but not enough to cause me concern. On the other hand I have purchased new Silver Bear ammunition that wouldn't reliably cycle my rifle. I ended up giving them away.

I have rarely seen a positive post where the words "cheap" and "reloads" are used together.

I shoot M&M reloads almost exclusively for practice ammo through my handguns without issue, and I've fired thousands of rounds through 'em. YMMV.

Ultramax? I don't think I've ever seen a crappier reload in my life than
some of the stuff that company turns out.

I fired some ultramax 10mm once... it was the piss weakest 10mm auto I had
ever fired- it was even weaker than .40 S+W commercial. [laugh]

I saw some poor guy that came to the pin shoots with Ultramas 230 gr RNL reloads... like one out of every 5 cartridges failed a simple case gauge test,
and failed it miserably (wouldn't even go half way into the gauge!)

-Mike

My bushmaster eats up the reloads. I think the majority of manufacturers put something about reloads in their manuals for liability reasons.

That case must have been damaged after sizing. The sizing die will squash even a dented case enough so that it will chamber.

I love reloads. Mine only though. No bulk crap for me. I'd use cases of Wolf .223 before I'd use anyone's .223 reloads. Rifle loads have pressures that are too unforgiving to take chances.

Anyone ever tried the Armscor .223 reloaded ammo? Comes in 50 round boxes listed for about $17.50 or so. I'm tempted to buy some of that in bulk.

Back
Top Bottom