Cheap AR-10 LPK needed

Bear Creek Arsenal is having a crazy sale right now. I just picked up a 20” side-charging upper for $250.

I recall Palmetto State Armory having sales around Christmas selling build kits for crazy cheap. I’m looking for an LPK, buffer tube, and stock. Any places selling them cheap now?

when I built my .308 AR (DPMS pattern from 80% lower) I got a lot of stuff from MidwayUSA and Brownells

i.e.:

I heard that unlike AR15, 10 stuff is proprietary, so you have to mate a lower with the same company’s upper.

And if the lower is DPMS style, doesn't it matter whether the lower is a gen 1 vs gen 2? I notice that the BCA BC-10 ar10 lowers are DPMS gen 1's. And what about uppers? Will a gen 1 upper mate to a gen 2 lower? The 308 AR platform has always seemed like a morass to me.

Bear Creek Arsenal is having a crazy sale right now. I just picked up a 20” side-charging upper for $250.

I recall Palmetto State Armory having sales around Christmas selling build kits for crazy cheap. I’m looking for an LPK, buffer tube, and stock. Any places selling them cheap now?
AR10s can be tricky, as sizing of components is much less - well, not 'regulated' but, not as traditionally standardized as with AR15s.
if you get a complete build from a certain brand - upper, lower, barrel, bolt - then most likely the chamber dimensions and overall tolerances will all be good.
if you will try to skinflint and make an ultimate mongrel - you need to pay extra attention of how it will be working together.

stick with aero - and you will have no grief to deal with and do not need to worry about headspace gauges etc.

BCA stuff is great when it is made well, but, it can be very inconsistent. same old 80/20 % rule - if you will be in happy 80% - you will never have to complain about BCA, but get into a 20% - and you will have fun. with aero it is at least 95% or more of a 'happy'.

ps. their side charging uppers conceptually, well, i did not want to talk about that, but i would highly recommend using it ONLY for 22lr builds and keep regular builds on stock form factor.

Last edited:
it is not proprietary, just certain tolerances can differ, sometimes severely.
DPMS uppers/lowers won't mate to Armalite pattern uppers/lower, at all. Not just different tolerances, but different profile in front of the buffer tube stack.

Check out Aim Surplus as well as Joe Bob Outfitters for parts. There are just a few items that differ between the AR10 and AR15 LPK's. Bolt hold open, take down pins and magazine release is all (IIRC).

IF you already have a trigger pack/set to drop in, then just get a decent LPK. I wouldn't advise going the cheapest route on any parts of a rifle. I've also stopped buying any LPK's that come with trigger groups, Since I have drop in trigger packs on hand, and will buy more when needed. Those are a LOT easier to install and are often of much higher quality than either what comes with a LPK, or can be had by themselves. There are a couple/few exceptions to that, but those trigger groups are as much (if not more) than the drop in setups. Get some anti-walk pins, if the trigger pack doesn't come with them, and you're done.

Did some research. Appears that a gen 1 DPMS style upper will only mate with a DPMS style lower that is also gen 1. The DPMS gen 2 style lower, being a smaller footprint, won't work with a gen 1 upper.

Back
Top Bottom