Cheap ...errr....FRUGAL Yaankee tips

Here's a couple:

Instead of shooting the rabid raccoon, just stick him with a pitchfork. It controls it, removes it, and kills it all at the same time. Plus, it can dig the hole to bury it.

The water in the bucket mouse trap.

Using rainwater from the downspout to top off the swimming pool.

Higher tire pressure gives a little rougher ride, but more MPG.

Turn down the heat and put on a sweater and sweats and slippers.

Humidifier helps it feel warmer in Winter.

Don't leave milk on the table during dinner. Put it away to keep it cold.

A wet paper towel is still good. It can be used to wipe dust or other spills off the floor.

Anybody else mix waste crankcase oil in with their chain saw chain oil?

Who mixes up their own bleach from swimming pool chlorine (much higher concentration)?

What kills me is the stuff that is obviously designed to discourage user-service.

I have a fridge that has developed a leak. After poking around, I find that the drip pan is cracked and that a silicone patch doesn't work well. I can buy a replacement part, but apparently I need to remove the compressor to swap it out. Engineering at it's finest...

They're building for the intended market - if the majority of your buyers will throw the thing out if the light bulb burns out, then that's the "right" level of engineering.

I have a friend who used to be a Sears repairman. He still has a fridge from the 50's with the hinged handle with the freezer inside. He said they don't build them like that any more.

Yep, know exactly what you mean. Our 11 year old Amana electric range had a failure of the digital oven control board. $250 part, but oblsolete and not available. Nice range but the misses actually decided she preferred the old style coil top ranges. Got new GE coil top, easy to fix if need be and parts readily available. The misses is happy and the sale at HD was 10% off so the price was outstanding. BTW, the HD appliance prices on ranges were dramatically lower than elsewhere. Free delivery and take away of old unit.

I sold my old range on Craigslist. It was pretty much scrap, but some slumlord gave me $25 even after it sat outside for weeks.

Here is a good, cheap and effective cold relief/ remedy.

1/2 teaspoon of salt - 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. Mix in a cup of luke warm water. Draw the mixture up into one of those ball things you use to clean a baby's ears. I think they call them a baby siringe.

Lean over the sink and squirt it into each nostril. If you are doing it right it will squirt out the opposite nostril.

I was told to do this by a doctor to treat a svere sinus infection and it drmatically reduces the longevity of any cold. It kills germs and infections in the sinus tract.

For a sore throat gargle with salt water,

Both remedies really work and are dirt cheap. Less than a penny per treatment

My ear/nose/throat guy gave me the exact same advice.

(no ego colleges unless they're brilliant scholarship kids). Oh yeah, make sure to have fun along the way!

Ego colleges are worth it even at full price as long as they are the ones at the very pointy part of the pyramid, particularly for grad school. Lawyers and MBAs are plentiful, but students coming out of a few schools can pretty much expect multiple interviews for partner track positions whereas students from "ordinary" quality Law/MBA schools struggle to find employment. The ego college waste is when you spend big $$ for a school that is merely "pretty good" rather than one so elite that the high school the kid came from still speaks about how someone from that school actually got accepted to ego school a few years ago.

A friend is sending his son to MIT. I won't mention specifics, but as part of his education, he has met household names in the world of science, and is on track for a summer job (that will expose him to more household names) at a very elite company that students from "non-ego" colleges would NEVER even get an interview at.

Ego colleges are worth it even at full price as long as they are the ones at the very pointy part of the pyramid, particularly for grad school. Lawyers and MBAs are plentiful, but students coming out of a few schools can pretty much expect multiple interviews for partner track positions whereas students from "ordinary" quality Law/MBA schools struggle to find employment. The ego college waste is when you spend big $$ for a school that is merely "pretty good" rather than one so elite that the high school the kid came from still speaks about how someone from that school actually got accepted to ego school a few years ago.

A friend is sending his son to MIT. I won't mention specifics, but as part of his education, he has met household names in the world of science, and is on track for a summer job (that will expose him to more household names) at a very elite company that students from "non-ego" colleges would NEVER even get an interview at.

I agree for the most part. I went to a very expensive undergrad school that is considered to be very good (top 40) but not an Ivy - but their track record of getting people into the grad field I wanted borders on 100%.

+1. The key is to do a real cost benefit analysis beforehand. For law schools especially, there are third tier schools that charge as much or more as the big names for a degree that's pretty much worthless.

+1. The key is to do a real cost benefit analysis beforehand. For law schools especially, there are third tier schools that charge as much or more as the big names for a degree that's pretty much worthless.
Yup - and law schools are famous for fudging employment numbers for their grads - counting any "job" as employment. The way to evaluate a law school is simple - just ask what percentage of their students received job offers in excess of $100K within 30 days of graduation.

I still stick by my original point that these ego colleges are chasing nonsense. I believe the next "mortgage crisis" scam will be the widespread recognition of overvalued colleges and universities. The only measure of particular "elite" universities cannot be the ability of them to hook your kid up with a well-paying job.

The debt incurred is NO guarantee of that big payoff and even if it were it is no guarantee of a good education.

Happened to notice the electric meter spinning today, and was wondering why, when heat was down, and not much going. I went in and heard the fridge running. I remembered how sometimes produce in the back was frozen, and turned the temp on the fridge and freezer up just a tad from "colder" to "medium". The fridge immediately went off. Now I need to figure out why the PC doesn't go into low-power mode more than it does. That has never been a strong point between Microsoft and the BIOS.

Happened to notice the electric meter spinning today, and was wondering why, when heat was down, and not much going. I went in and heard the fridge running. I remembered how sometimes produce in the back was frozen, and turned the temp on the fridge and freezer up just a tad from "colder" to "medium". The fridge immediately went off. Now I need to figure out why the PC doesn't go into low-power mode more than it does. That has never been a strong point between Microsoft and the BIOS.

Just thought I'd mention this... in my experience, many times computers that are equipped with a laser mouse do not go to sleep because the mouse thinks it's moving.

Just thought I'd mention this... in my experience, many times computers that are equipped with a laser mouse do not go to sleep because the mouse thinks it's moving.

You mean optical mouse? I do have one of those. Interesting.

Stupid computers!

I need to tighten the belt a bit. Can eat less to lose weight and save money. Heck, I can mow lawns after work and make MOAR money.

Life sucks sometimes.

Cut your own lawn

Change your own oil

Always buy second hand tools

Have a garden and can the excess

This thread is back from the dead?

Never buy a progressive press, single stage works just fine and I find my $19.99 digital scale to be just as accurate as my $250.00 RCBS. That will save you a few pennies right there!!

Also if you keep your reloading costs low you wont feel like shit when you cant get to it for a few months because you have 3K in equipment doing nothing.

+ You can get stuff that's not claimed at the lost and found bin at the kids school at the end of the year.

+ old laptop that someone is throwing away makes a networked mp3 music player for the living room.

+ sports equipment for kids (softball gloves, lacrosse sticks) can usually be found on craigslist not too far away

The salvation army stores are great for finding good clothing. I find all kinds of new or like new name brand outdoor hunting gear and carhartt work pants. Also I get pre washed pre shrunk jeans and heavy flannel shirts that fit me. Around here they have a 50% off sale on wed.

We just bought a new dishwasher last night. I diagnosed the problem to the electronics board. The unit is 10 years old and has the original pump. The pump will certainly fail in the near future. The cost of the board & pump + shipping was more than the new machine we bought with a stainless-steel tub and extended warranty. Sometimes you cut your losses too.

What BUY a dishwasher? I thought you married those........

What BUY a dishwasher? I thought you married those........

That's what I though too. But since I retired I pitch in on occasion. That single handle Delta kitchen faucet has done yeoman's duty. I mustta rebuilt that thing half a dozen times and it keeps going.

The salvation army stores are great for finding good clothing. I find all kinds of new or like new name brand outdoor hunting gear and carhartt work pants. Also I get pre washed pre shrunk jeans and heavy flannel shirts that fit me. Around here they have a 50% off sale on wed.

This. Scored some $0.99 tee shirts not too long ago. Not a damn thing wrong with them.

Making coffee at home and bringing a snack/lunch instead of making a stop at Dunkin or wherever saves some dough over time also.

you don't need much detergent at all when you wash your cloths. I'm convinced these new "packets" are to get people to use more!

you don't need that much shampoo and conditioner either.

and don't even get me started on dish soap!

I like clean but too much soap to me is dirty again--I don't want to smell like detergents. Plus the excess gums up your washing machine and plumbing--and you're literally flushing money down the drain.

I buy a lot of things at Savers in Nashua and Manchester. Manchester has better prices. When the person I was sharing office space left I found 2 sets of drapes for $8, and on another trip found a coffee table, valances and a new and very nice lamp shade, all for $12.

Learn to be handy and do as much fix-it and maintenance as you can. Skilled labor is one massive cost in owning a house. Or car.

Buy big ticket items off of CraigsList or similar. We bought a Jotul Oslo wood stove. Awesome condition, $2400+ new, and $1200 for us. We did however pay a chimney guy to install it with brand new materials.

Know your limits. I would LOVE to be into cars. But I simply don't have the money to be. So, I choose not to do it at all, rather than half-ass it.

Be debt-free. We do not owe one single dime, literally. Admittedly, it's due in large part to the generosity of a certain someone. I don't consider the CC to be debt, because we pay it off in full EVERY month.

Learn to be handy and do as much fix-it and maintenance as you can. Skilled labor is one massive cost in owning a house. Or car..

Just did my own front disc brakes for about $80 in parts, and two hours time. I didn't even mind doing it.

Back
Top Bottom