Cheap ...errr....FRUGAL Yaankee tips

We just bought a new dishwasher last night. I diagnosed the problem to the electronics board. The unit is 10 years old and has the original pump. The pump will certainly fail in the near future. The cost of the board & pump + shipping was more than the new machine we bought with a stainless-steel tub and extended warranty. Sometimes you cut your losses too.

Yep, know exactly what you mean. Our 11 year old Amana electric range had a failure of the digital oven control board. $250 part, but oblsolete and not available. Nice range but the misses actually decided she preferred the old style coil top ranges. Got new GE coil top, easy to fix if need be and parts readily available. The misses is happy and the sale at HD was 10% off so the price was outstanding. BTW, the HD appliance prices on ranges were dramatically lower than elsewhere. Free delivery and take away of old unit.

Last edited:
Anytime I see something useful at a yard sale or flea market, I pick it up. Often it is something that could be incalculably valuable during an interruption of services. During the season, I am out junking as soon as the sun comes up and am seldom disappointed with my finds. Things like lanterns, camping gear, tools, household materials (nails, screws, chemicals), and so on is always cheap, cheap, cheap when sold this way.

I've cut down on my dumpster diving and yard saling. I've moved 3 times in the last 7 years and I got tired of moving all that stuff. Now I'm a lot more particular.

I've cut down on my dumpster diving and yard saling. I've moved 3 times in the last 7 years and I got tired of moving all that stuff. Now I'm a lot more particular.

You should have a yard sale, to get rid of the excess junk! [laugh]

Definition time: Stuff is the junk that you keep; Junk is the stuff you don't.

There's no such thing a junk. It's just stuff you haven't found a use for yet.

{I was raised by a man born in 1922 and spent his formative years during the great depression.}

You should have a yard sale, to get rid of the excess junk! [laugh]

Definition time: Stuff is the junk that you keep; Junk is the stuff you don't.

Well said!

The key is to know what you need vs. what you want. Same rule applies when you are buying.

And on that note, I am off to hit a couple estate sales before the season is done.

Stay away from processed food as much as possible. Use only fresh produce, meat, rice and flour to cook.

The bigger your weekly trash pickup, the more money you are wasting on something. I usually don't fill a 30-gallon trash can for a 6-person household.

There's no such thing a junk. It's just stuff you haven't found a use for yet.

{I was raised by a man born in 1922 and spent his formative years during the great depression.}

Heh. I had to clean out my grandparents' house, which was in the family for about 50 years. My grandmother never threw out anything, neither did my father. After the yard sales, estate sales, and vultures came through, we still filled 2 30 yard dumpsters with what was left over.

He had A LOT of stuff he never found a use for. I'll give you this, though. There was a lot of perfectly good stuff.

hundred dollar Timney trigger for the Savage?
or $1.26 at Ace Hardware for a set screw and spring?

yeh..... got from about 6 down to 4 pounds without trying....

Here is a good, cheap and effective cold relief/ remedy.

1/2 teaspoon of salt - 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. Mix in a cup of luke warm water. Draw the mixture up into one of those ball things you use to clean a baby's ears. I think they call them a baby siringe.

Lean over the sink and squirt it into each nostril. If you are doing it right it will squirt out the opposite nostril.

I was told to do this by a doctor to treat a svere sinus infection and it drmatically reduces the longevity of any cold. It kills germs and infections in the sinus tract.

For a sore throat gargle with salt water,

Both remedies really work and are dirt cheap. Less than a penny per treatment

Heh. I had to clean out my grandparents' house, which was in the family for about 50 years. My grandmother never threw out anything, neither did my father. After the yard sales, estate sales, and vultures came through, we still filled 2 30 yard dumpsters with what was left over.

He had A LOT of stuff he never found a use for. I'll give you this, though. There was a lot of perfectly good stuff.

My grandfather was like that. He died when I was 12 and I had the fun time (no sarcasm there) of cleaning out his house with my dad. He lived on the second floor of a three unit house he owned. The first floor was rented out, the third floor and the basement were full of all the stuff he had acquired over the years. Some of the things we found in there were an antique dirll worth $8000 and an engine for a 1950s ford pickup truck in perfect condition (how the hell did he get that up to the third floor???). We were joking that by the time we had cleared all the stuff out and sold what was still worth anything, the house had risen up out of the ground a good 6 inches.

My dad says he can't watch the show American Pickers because it reminds him too much of my grandfather.

My grandfather was like that. He died when I was 12 and I had the fun time (no sarcasm there) of cleaning out his house with my dad. My dad says he can't watch the show American Pickers because it reminds him too much of my grandfather.
Similar experience here. I took a 1 week "vacation" to help my folks clean out the 2,500sq ft ranch house they lived in for 44 years. It had a 2,500sq ft attic and basement (5,000 sq ft of frigg'n storage!!!). My 2 boys were 5 and 7 and they had a blast. My dad even had a kid's size sledge hammer they used to "reduce" junk. We filled two 12cu yard dumpsters that week. Hard on me, but they boys loved every minute.

1/2 teaspoon of salt - 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. Mix in a cup of luke warm water. Draw the mixture up into one of those ball things you use to clean a baby's ears. I think they call them a baby siringe.

Lean over the sink and squirt it into each nostril. If you are doing it right it will squirt out the opposite nostril.

I was told to do this by a doctor to treat a svere sinus infection and it drmatically reduces the longevity of any cold. It kills germs and infections in the sinus tract.

Hey, a netti pot type of thing. They actually do really help.

Stay away from processed food as much as possible. Use only fresh produce, meat, rice and flour to cook.

The bigger your weekly trash pickup, the more money you are wasting on something. I usually don't fill a 30-gallon trash can for a 6-person household.
+1
Avoiding processed fooods and eating healthy will also save money on doctors visits,cold remidies,sick days,pepto bismal & stridex pads.
Eating "right" is expensive but in the long run, your colon $avings will be ASStronomical. [laugh]
Also compostin' produce & fruit scraps to cut down on trash disposal fees makes cents.

Last edited:
COUPONS
My wife saw a couple episodes of Extreme Couponing and started doing it. I never thought it was worth my time, and it does take a little time go get going with it, but she gets our staple items way cheap. Sometimes the basement fridge gets pretty full, but it's staples so they always get consumed.

^THIS^ ....same here and my Wife has become pretty damm good at it too, as for food got a nice stock pile going not to mention i will not need to buy another razor for at least 2yrs[wink]. As for other ways most of us think the same way, can't afford it don't buy, save for it!! Keep up with maintence on the car ect.. As for the smokers out here take this from a Former 2 pack a day smoker if you can and want to.. QUIT!!! I save on average 400-500 dollars a month..and thats including my wife quitting as well, granted the money goes elseware like paying down what debt i have, but i have also managed to put some away. Good Luck Fellas cuz I know we all will need it.

For a sore throat gargle with salt water,

Both remedies really work and are dirt cheap. Less than a penny per treatment

I will try this next time im sick. As for a deep hacking cough or naging cough put a thin coat of vicks vapor rub on the bottom of you feet and cover with socks. Sounds funny but it has worked many times for Me and my family not to mention allowed me to get some sleep...

My favorite "sick tea" is an ancient chinese recipe. All you need is fresh ginger and orange peels. Rinse the ginger root and oranges well. Then slice up the ginger and peel the oranges. You can bruise the ginger if you want but its not necessary. Bring some water to a simmer and add the ginger--let it sit for a good 10-15 minutes. Now you can add the orange peels. Sometimes I make superficial slices in the skin to help let out the orange oils but you don't have to. (If I have any, I'll also add a hand full of rose hips for extra vitamin C). Let it simmer for another 10 minutes. When it's done, strain and pour a cup. Add some honey if you like a little sweetness. The ginger is strong but it feels great on a sore throat.

I also keep some dried ginger and orange peels on hand for when a cold comes out of nowhere but fresh is best!

^THIS^ ....same here and my Wife has become pretty damm good at it too, as for food got a nice stock pile going not to mention i will not need to buy another razor for at least 2yrs[wink]. As for other ways most of us think the same way, can't afford it don't buy, save for it!! Keep up with maintence on the car ect.. As for the smokers out here take this from a Former 2 pack a day smoker if you can and want to.. QUIT!!! I save on average 400-500 dollars a month..and thats including my wife quitting as well, granted the money goes elseware like paying down what debt i have, but i have also managed to put some away. Good Luck Fellas cuz I know we all will need it.

people that enjoy couponing and doing that could turn a really good profit if they sold the stuff .50-$1 to people like me that can't invest the time but love the idea. i'd swing by someones house and drop $50 a month.

I make my own laundry soap, and the 5 gal pail that I make it in lasts me 4 months. Compared to what you pay for store bought it comes out to be pennies.

there is an indoor one in Swansea, open Sat. and Sunday (Exit 2 on MA 195 - RT 136) to 6 West, same parking lot as Porch and Patio) that is picking up, because the Speedway is outdoors and is probably done for the year - no entrance fee for both.

Never heard about the Swansea flea. How is it compared to Raynham?

Back
Top Bottom