CEO of Southcoast Hospitals Busted for Assault and Gun Charges

On the magazine charges, if the mags do not say Restricted LEO use only, how can the prosecutor prove they were made after the standard capacity ban?

I have a 92F I bought NIB in the mid 90's that was made in 1989. The standard capacity magazines look the same as standard capacity magazines available today. I cant tell the difference.

Do proescutors simply say "In Mass, you must prove the standard capacity magazines are legal and made before 1994", and the burden to prove guilt is not on us".

Is it their position that all standard capacity magazines are illegal, regardless of date on manufacture as it is hard for defendants to prove pre 94 manufacture?
And here lies the problem. What happened to burden of proof on the state?

80,000 rounds, and 40 guns.
Finally, someone that has worked their way up to the average NES'r.

I would call 80K a decent stash depending on caliber distribution. Not low, not amazing, but a decent stash. 🤓

Time stamp this thread for a necro-revival, my guess is in about 3-4 years this guy will get all his guns back, on page 12 of the local rag, and no one will ever notice.

One of the morals of this story is if you're a gun owner and you want to keep your guns, control your temper.
NEVER cool to hit a spouse / child / family member but extra bad if you want to hold onto your license.
Same goes for all those other things that can make you crazy -- road rage, a**holes on the street, politicians, etc.
Bite your tongue and move on.

Screen name?
With his money and connections, I doubt this will go very far.
I'ma go out on a limb:

Either he hires a lawyer well-known to NES,
or he's toast.

He can afford to hire an expensive lawyer -
but does he have the awareness to hire
a good Mass gun lawyer...?

Time stamp this thread for a necro-revival, my guess is in about 3-4 years this guy will get all his guns back, on page 12 of the local rag, and no one will ever notice.
NFW.

Unless the PRM MSM needs to wag the dog by turning this into
some kind of St. Louis Gun-Waving Lawyers celebrity case,
the only way you'll ever read about anything like that
is when he re-offends in 3-4 years, and suddenly
the outcome of this case is part of the front-page story
about that next case.

ETA:
I get accused of necro-posting because:
  • I accidentally trip over the outcome of some heinous trial (because the perp:
    • got convicted,
    • sentenced,
    • served, and then
    • committed another crime,
    • and some fishwrap mention the previous crime),
  • I wonder whether it was covered by NES back in the day,
  • I discover it was discussed extensively, yet in the intervening years there were no new facts posted after the arrest was in the news - not even mention of getting bailed out a couple of day later. Forget about news coverage of even the schedule for the trial, let alone the verdict or sentencing hearings,
  • and I update NES with what happened the last time.
I never trip over an epic NES thread that is unresolved,
and find info about what ultimately happened in court.

All the MSM normally cares about is reporting the arrest.

Last edited:
One of the morals of this story is if you're a gun owner and you want to keep your guns, control your temper.
NEVER cool to hit a spouse / child / family member but extra bad if you want to hold onto your license.
Same goes for all those other things that can make you crazy -- road rage, a**holes on the street, politicians, etc.
Bite your tongue and move on.
All true for sure, but let's keep in mind that in this particular case, it was the gun owner's minor child that dialed-up and involved the police (much to the detriment of the gun owner and, most likely, the family).

I don't know how old that child is... and I'm sure the child was upset... but guiding your marital behavior according to the potential discomfort of a minor child is a potentially risky thing.

Here is another article that goes into more detail about the magazines. 100rd magazine and apparently they found 83 illegal magazines.

Ha

What a POS. Those statements will be used against him. An wealthy anti- with a collection trying to get/keep them banned for norms

17853FD8-29E5-44DF-B15B-DEFEAD360728.png

On the magazine charges, if the mags do not say Restricted LEO use only, how can the prosecutor prove they were made after the standard capacity ban?

I have a 92F I bought NIB in the mid 90's that was made in 1989. The standard capacity magazines look the same as standard capacity magazines available today. I cant tell the difference.

Do proescutors simply say "In Mass, you must prove the standard capacity magazines are legal and made before 1994", and the burden to prove guilt is not on us".

Is it their position that all standard capacity magazines are illegal, regardless of date on manufacture as it is hard for defendants to prove pre 94 manufacture?
There are several levels of "proof" that can fail, depending on how the courts define "proof" -
  • LEO Only - can the prosecution prove the manufacturer never used this nomenclature prior to the ban?
  • New Features - can it be inferred that an ambi notched Glock mag did not exist years before Glock sole guns with reversible or ambi mag releases?
  • Street lore - like "There are no pre-ban Glock mags with caliber marking high up on the top rear of the tube"
  • Subtle design differences that were part of an evolutionary process (Glock follower design, for example)
  • Is the presence of a post-ban follower in a Glock mag proof it is post ban, or only proof that mag has a post-ban part?
  • What about mag with a post-ban tube and parts that are not provably post-ban. Is this proof of pre-ban or proof the mag is either post ban or re-ban refurbished (there is no law or regulation establishing that the tube is the mag like there is at the federal level for "frame is the gun")
  • And what of a mag of Theseus? At what point of parts replacement did it lose its pre ban status?
  • And what of a stash of mag tubes? Are they mags if not yet assembled? Does it depend if the parts to complete assembly are also possessed?
  • Does a mag cease to be pre-ban once disassembled if you are missing a part needed to make it complete?
And the there is the undefined requirement regarding mens rea or scienture - is it sufficient for conviction to possess such a banned item, or is knowledge part of the retirement? I'm not talking about "ignorance of the law" but stuff like "not knowing that XYZ corp changed steel alloys in 2002, your mag is newer than you thought, and the prosecution proved you have the new alloy mag by metallurgical analysis".

Last edited:
Ha

What a POS. Those statements will be used against him. An wealthy anti- with a collection trying to get/keep them banned for norms

View attachment 541387
That’s kind of hilarious.. f*** him and everything but it’s a classic case of a self-loathing queer.. I bet anything his wife wears the pants in a family and beat the shit out of him and he went to jail for it… If I was him I’d say the Wife own the mags..

Ha

View attachment 541387
Oh man, what a flaming POS hypocrite!!! Guns for me, not for thee. Such a dishonest, disingenuous fraud. Reading that, I hope he goes down hard. 🤪

Last edited:
80,000 rounds, and 40 guns.
Finally, someone that has worked their way up to the average NES'r.

I would call 80K a decent stash depending on caliber distribution. Not low, not amazing, but a decent stash. 🤓

"Man Gets Stuff Back"

1636635513612.png

Why do you assume what is in the police report is true? Ive read police reports of events I was present during and they were literally a work of fiction. They didn’t represent what happened at all, that was in it was highly edited to have a certain narrative and the order of events was completely wrong.

If anyone trusts a police report on its face, you’re a fool and not interested in the actual facts.

Former employer offered a discount to law enforcement. Had many discussions of this and that with different men and women of the badge. One common theme of several was, its all how the report is written to describe the situation and the actions taken.

18192470_199532270557299_5914063052153845202_o.jpg

Oh, I'll bet it does.... maybe not in an everyday 'real world' sense, but certainly it does in a MA legal sense. [thinking]
Isn’t the standard that if the officers see evidence of a physical injury then it meets the standard and they have duty to arrest?

So say the case gets thrown out, hed get his shit back buuuuuut "83 illegal high capacity magazines seized" ummm. Whats that entitle the lovely government to? Further seizure? Fine? I know even jail time is possible for sure.

and the "illegal" magazines would be valid grounds in MA for a LTC or FID to be pulled, especially if they press charges and prosecute to the limits of the law

Isn’t the standard that if the officers see evidence of a physical injury then it meets the standard and they have duty to arrest?
... and they did.... and then they did. For all we know, this was a pretty minor thing in the bigger scheme of things. A little too much booze and than he wanted to watch his favorite TV show. Well, who among us can say they haven't been there? [laugh] <JK>

But the minor daughter dialed 911. Game over for Mister Bigshot Hypocrite. 👎

Carbon dating?

Officers confiscated Hovan’s license to carry during his arrest and later returned to his home to take possession of his firearms, which numbered more than 40, according to police reports. Officers were accompanied by a firearms expert from J&S Guns.

Anyone know if these guys are OK, or is he going to get f*cked for $5/day per gun, etc ??

Back
Top Bottom