CCW in a Bar

Do Mass. firearms laws prohibit CCW, by a licensed person, in a Bar? In other words if I'm in the bar but obstaining from alcohol do I need to leave the weapon behind?

NO! MGLs prohibit "being under the influence" while in possession of a firearm. There is no definition in this section of law wrt "under the influence" so some have taken the attitude that you can't be in possession after using mouthwash, breathing near others that drink, etc. . . . even thou there is no such prohibition. [thinking]

You will also find some LEOs/Licensing Officers/Instructors making this "pronouncement" as being illegal as well. [shocked]

You can sit at the bar. There is no law against it.

You're right. I should have expanded a little.

I don't sit at the bar because I carry IWB and print real bad when I sit on a barstool, and people tend get too close. I like to sit in the booth, with my strong side against the wall, so I can relax and talk to my friends or whomever. It works for me because I don't really drink, and am usually the designated driver anyways. So I get to be the designated shooter, too.

You're right. I should have expanded a little.

I don't sit at the bar because I carry IWB and print real bad when I sit on a barstool, and people tend get too close. I like to sit in the booth, with my strong side against the wall, so I can relax and talk to my friends or whomever. It works for me because I don't really drink, and am usually the designated driver anyways. So I get to be the designated shooter, too.
That is why it is always important to distinguish between what the law is, versus your recommended course of action. MA laws are already complicated enough without people adding to the confusion by blurring that distinction.

Well, that article is short on details, but since licensed possession of a firearm in an establishment that serves alcohol is legal, perhaps he was "under the influence" (M.G.L. c.269 s.10H), and that is the charge they are alluding to.

Back
Top Bottom