• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CAUTION from Glock on Dry Firing!

Obviously things can go wrong dry firing almost any hangun extensively. A-Zoom (the maker of Snap Caps) wouldn't be in business if there wasn't a market for it. The manual for my old Sig Sauer stated not to dry fire also. Hmmm...maybe we should all bash Sig's too. Glock sells ALOT of guns and I'll bet the percentage of warranty work isn't any higher than any other brand and probably less. Glock's must be dry fired every time they are field stripped and also when stored in the older, original "tupperware" Glock box - so when the word extensive is mentioned they mean it. On the order of 10's of thousands of dry firings.

Last edited:
Greg, I did NOT start this thread to bash Glock. I was specifically ASKED by Fred at Glock's Customer Support to get the word out that people shouldn't do this w/o using SnapCaps!

Yes, I can see this being an issue for other brand guns too, I don't think it's a Glock-specific issue at all.

People will believe/do as they like and Glock will continue to repair guns for free (other than shipping costs), regardless of whether you do this or not.

Carry on!

Greg, I did NOT start this thread to bash Glock. I was specifically ASKED by Fred at Glock's Customer Support to get the word out that people shouldn't do this w/o using SnapCaps!

Why don't you tell Fred to have his company put legitimate warnings in its products manuals instead of asking random people to spread the word via the Internet?

Seriously.

Why don't you tell Fred to have his company put legitimate warnings in its products manuals instead of asking random people to spread the word via the Internet?

Seriously.

He admitted to me that they screwed up.

I don't think that Glock has changed the wording in their manual since 198x when the first gen 9 was released.

I haven't talked with Fred in probably 2 years. I had called him wrt an issue I had that had nothing to do with dry-firing and we got off on that tangent.

Realize that the newbie just resurrected a thread that is almost 3 years old.

Seriously.

Cause glock is just like HK when it comes to this stuff. If there is a problem they will NEVER (publicly, as in a recall) admit a mistake.

However, unlike HK, Glock will actually fix stuff if its broken when you send it in.

-Mike

Yes, I can see this being an issue for other brand guns too, I don't think it's a Glock-specific issue at all.

People will believe/do as they like and Glock will continue to repair guns for free (other than shipping costs), regardless of whether you do this or not.

Carry on!

LenS, my comments were not aimed at you at all. As a matter of fact, I thank you for presenting this information for everyones benefit. There are a couple of Glock "bashing" posts on this thread that I was aiming my comments towards. Believe me I agree that Glocks may not be perfect but they do have a proven track record as do many other brands i.e., H&K, S&W, SA, Sig, etc. (of which I have owned most of these in the past.) They also ALL have had some problems.

There is a picture on one of the gun forums that displays a Springfield Armory XD (.40 I believe) that had recently kaboomed so that issue is not exclusive to Glocks. Also there is a website with an H&K USP 40 that blew it's frame apart. There are many more Glocks out there that have had no problems but some like to focus on the few times there is a problem and ignore the fact that maybe their brand of choice has had an issue at one time or another...

Last edited:
I agree with a post on the first page. The likely scenario is that stresses from rounds going off weakened the metal.

I wonder if an investigation was performed that determined if the problem occured because overcharged ammunition was used in the firearm.

Also, the original Glock cases had a plastic cylinder moulded into the inner body of the case that went through the trigger gaurd. You couldn't fit the gun in the case without dry-firing.

Back
Top Bottom