Case Lube

Got a question here...

Is it necessary to have a separate case neck lubricator? I thought when you lubed rifle cases, you put them onto the pad with the case necks hanging off the pad, and rolled them. So then do you have to go back and lube the case neck?

Thanks
Adam

Oh yeah, or the RCBS equivelant. If you use that pad, keep the bulk of your lube to the middle, so it's thin on the outside of the pad, and roll your case so the neck gets a light lube. That's what I do.

I mount a bore brush right to the table. I put lube (PAM cooking spray that I've been using for a year now with pretty good results) on a sponge and some on the brush. I roll the brass across the sponge, twist the neck over the brush (helps clean out carbon and lubes at the same time) and then size.
Works for me.

I have been using synthetic motor oil. I put just a 1/8" of oil in the cap, dip the neck end into it. While it is in the shell holder I distribute the tiny amount on the outside with my fingers and run through the sizer. Then I usually can do 8-10 casings without lube. After sizing I throw them all into tumbler for 30 minutes. Works like a charm.

I picked up this neck lube kit from Midway when I started loading rifle cartridges on a single stage, and I like it. Dry lube,and doesn't take much, so I don't worry about powder/primer contamination. 1/10 oz. of mica doesn't sound like much, but I would still be using the first bag of it if I hadn't knocked the whole thing off the bench one day.

I'm getting ready to start using the Dillon 550 on rifle cartridges, so I'm going to have to rethink case lubing for that process. Pistol is so much simpler....[hmmm]

Back
Top Bottom