• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Carrying in bars in Boston

. Get home, firearm in safe, then have a glass or two of wine of beer. Just use your head - if you carry, avoid drinking.
QUOTE]

No offense, but if you have to lock up the firearms before you have a glass or two of wine or beer, maybe it's time to quit drinking. Do you lock up the car keys and tape off the stove controls as well?

That is one of the most ridiculous statement I've seen on this site! [rofl]

It's my daily routine no matter where I've been. Get home, place the carry gun in one of several quick access safes ( not my BIG safe). I see no need to keep the gun ON me at home and frankly I don't really want to. I wonder what you do - take it off and leave it on the kitchen table? We have a lawful requirment to secure our firearms when they are not under our direct control, so what other bright suggestions would you have on that subject?.

Come on , be responsible in your posts and don't make ignorant disparaging comments to people you don't even know.

Respectfully

It's stuff like this that feeds anti-gun sentiment i.e. firearms are so dangerous that you have to lock them up just to have, as you posted, "one or two beers." Lets get real, you wanted a pat on the back for "super safe" and locking up your deadly weapon before you had a beer, sorry that I had to inject a little bit of realism into the discussion.

In terms of requirement to lock up your weapons, I don't know how people survive in states without this brilliant law? And, yes, when I'm home I don't have a problem laying my pistol on the coffee table (I don't have kids). Everyone knows the safe storage law is BS anyways.....it's definitely not supported by Heller and will be done with sooner or later.

Anyways, again, if you can't handle your pistol after 1 beer that's your business, just don't expect to post about it on-line and not catch some shit.....

That is one of the most ridiculous statement I've seen on this site! [rofl]

It's my daily routine no matter where I've been. Get home, place the carry gun in one of several quick access safes ( not my BIG safe). I see no need to keep the gun ON me at home and frankly I don't really want to. I wonder what you do - take it off and leave it on the kitchen table? We have a lawful requirment to secure our firearms when they are not under our direct control, so what other bright suggestions would you have on that subject?.

Come on , be responsible in your posts and don't make ignorant disparaging comments to people you don't even know.

Respectfully

It's stuff like this that feeds anti-gun sentiment i.e. firearms are so dangerous that you have to lock them up just to have, as you posted, "one or two beers." Lets get real, you wanted a pat on the back for "super safe" and locking up your deadly weapon before you had a beer, sorry that I had to inject a little bit of realism into the discussion.

In terms of requirement to lock up your weapons, I don't know how people survive in states without this brilliant law? And, yes, when I'm home I don't have a problem laying my pistol on the coffee table (I don't have kids). Everyone knows the safe storage law is BS anyways.....it's definitely not supported by Heller and will be done with sooner or later.

Anyways, again, if you can't handle your pistol after 1 beer that's your business, just don't expect to post about it on-line and not catch some shit.....

+1

I have a beer or two while cleaning guns.....[shocked] [grin]

+1

I have a beer or two while cleaning guns.....[shocked] [grin]

I can tell you EXACTLY what sound the muzzle of a 16" AR chambered in 7.62X39 makes when fired in front of your face due to that practice. [hmmm]

(my own fault for not making sure there was no ammo around, and for letting an AR-newbie handle the rifle)

[rofl]sounds like you are one can short of a six pack here man....

he does it because it is what is to be done if you were to follow the law.

just because thelaw may seem stupid, doesnt negate its existence. Breaking a law is no way to fight for a change of that law, in fact it is a way to strengthen the argument to keep the law in place.

He isnt talking about being so drunk after 1 beer he decided he wants to see the business end of a flying JHP in a first person view, he is talking about a law, a dumb law, but a LAW.

(If you want to advertise that you dont follow the law, go right ahead and be our guest, but dont try to bash on someone else because they follow it.

he does it because it is what is to be done if you were to follow the law.

just because thelaw may seem stupid, doesnt negate its existence. Breaking a law is no way to fight for a change of that law, in fact it is a way to strengthen the argument to keep the law in place.

He isnt talking about being so drunk after 1 beer he decided he wants to see the business end of a flying JHP in a first person view, he is talking about a law, a dumb law, but a LAW.

(If you want to advertise that you dont follow the law, go right ahead and be our guest, but dont try to bash on someone else because they follow it.

The law is grey. Who's to say carrying after one beer is a violation of the law? That statute doesn't define under the influence. I would put my money on a good lawyer being able to make a case for .08. That being said, if I'm out drinking I don't have a gun on me. If I happen to stop by a friends house and he offers me a beer, I don't feel like I need to turn it down or run home to lock up my gun(s)* first real quick. YMMV.

*if I had guns, which of course I do not. Guns are bad and kill people

I can tell you EXACTLY what sound the muzzle of a 16" AR chambered in 7.62X39 makes when fired in front of your face due to that practice. [hmmm]

(my own fault for not making sure there was no ammo around, and for letting an AR-newbie handle the rifle)

Man, that must have been an attention grabber!!!

Alot of this argument is going to come down officers descretion, CLEO's decission on you being a fit or unfit person and how pathetic it is that someone would publicly post that it is ok to break the law, and that they cant resist having 1-2 beers or drinks because they are in posession of a firearm.... Maybe he locks it up because he has kids or is just taking extra percautions... Cudos to him....

"he does it because it is what is to be done if you were to follow the law.

(If you want to advertise that you dont follow the law, go right ahead and be our guest, but dont try to bash on someone else because they follow it.[/QUOTE]"

Thanks - yes, it's the law and regardless of our own personal opinions regarding it's values or worth, we are under the obligation to comply as responsible firearms owners. I actually don't have a problem with the requirement when I stop and think about it.

To be honest the thought of leaving a loaded firearm unattended in my house gives me the shivers. My wife is a professional singer and teaches voice at home. Some of the younger students are brought by their parents, who sometime will hang out in the "parlour" while she teaches in the music room. So, the idea of not securing my firearms not an option.

The law may be an ass, but we don't need to make more trouble for ourselves and our fellow shooters by flouting the law.

It's not paranoia to lock up my irons, I just think it's being responsible and following the law.

We all know what paranoia is right? Well, Mononoia is more interesting - it's where there is only one person out to get you and everyone else knows who it is but won't tell you :)

What practice? The practice of not clearing a firearm before handling it? [rolleyes]

What happened to you has nothing to do with drinking, unless you were shitfaced drunk. Which a beer or two won't do.

I think your forgetting Jose, everybody handles alcohol differently.... maybe he wasn't shit faced but destracted, by something that caught his eye, and thought he cleared the chamber already... should of double checked, at least he is alive to teach others of his ignorance..... why push your luck with mixing guns and alcohol????

I have no need for pats on the back for doing what is required of me by MA law. I don't need a pat on the back for wearing my seat belt, paying my taxes, or registering my dogs, file an FA10 - all of which I am required to do by some law or ordnance.

I have zero tolerance for some things in life. I'm a recreational pilot, and would NEVER fly after even one beer. I choose not to drive after drinking - period, and I choose ( my personal choice here, nothing about my ability to imbibe and contain) not to mix firearms and alcohol. It's not my business to question anyones ability to "handle their pistol" after a beer, as that is a personal choice. But what I do have zero tolerance for is pseudo macho law flouting BS being passed off as some form of intelligent argument.

If anyone is dumb enough to flout a law and then bash someone who does comply - and do it on a public forum (LMAO) - then I can only shake my head and smile at the act. [rolleyes]

Guns and alcohol/drugs/inhalents dont mix no matter the qaunity consumed... Show some respect to people and their responsible actions.... and if more people followed that kind of lead, maybe the world would be a better place....

How anyone on this site can bash another for taking safety precautions is crazy. No one is arguing that the storage laws in this state are flawed.

Here is why I lock mine before I drink:

1. It looks bad and irresponsible to the anti's. We need to lead by example. If we lock up our gear before touching a drink we are sending a clear message to everyone that we take safety seriously.

2. If I used the firearm even in a justified manor I would be scrutinized and maybe charged with a crime for carrying under the influence.

3. I may or mat not be able to function at my full ability, ie: eyesight, reaction, gross motor skills. believe it or not there is a measurable difference in these in some people after 2 drinks.

4. My judgment may be flawed. ie: How many people do we know that have 2 beers and start hitting on the bison at the end of the bar.

That said, OC on the other hand is a safer option.

Man, that must have been an attention grabber!!!

Yeah....you know that feeling, when all the blood rushes downward away from your face, everything kind of turns a white/gray color, the whole world STOPS completely for a few seconds while you try to figure out what just happened, and if you're dead or not.

It's not something I'm proud of and I mentioned it earlier here just as sort of a dark humor...though it isn't "ha-ha" funny at all of course. Which brings me to the point i was trying to make, but failed to because I didn't explain the whole story.

I had two beers over the course of an hour while I waited for a friend. I had just bought the AR that afternoon and wanted to show it to him....a fellow gun owner. I had exactly ONE round of ammo with me, simply because neither one of us had seen a 7.62X39 round before. I wasn't drunk, but I'm still not sure if or not those 2 beers were enough to let my guard down...when he came down to see me, he had already had "a few" beers. However I didn't know. To this day I still wonder if the couple I had kept me from observing/realizing he wasn't sober, and if they kept me from watching him as closely as I should have.

Long story short, he somehow took that round from the table, chambered it, switched the safety off and pulled the trigger. Not on purpose, of course. The chain of events happened in just the right (wrong?) order with just about every firearms rule not being obeyed by him, and my not watching what he was doing.

So what's that point?....I drifted away from it myself a bit here...Sometimes even when you're still nowhere near out of control yourself, it may let you let your guard down just enough to not notice someone else's dangerous actions.

Worst part is, it's not even like I can say "I learned a lesson the hard way" from it, because it wasn't a new lesson....it was one I already knew and I should have known better, beers or not.

Guys.. IMNAL... but

DUI is .08... plain and simple OUI is a cop saying you were not completely in control of your car and you smelled of alcohol.... no legal limit for OUI. The verbiage on carrying and under the influence sounds mighty close to OUI... "At the cops discretion"... Bad law.. and not defending it, just saying that I would not rely on being below .08 to get you off on the drinking and carrying thing..

And.. did I miss something? folks jumpin on negotiator for locking up his gun? Law or no law isnt that his business??

Guys.. IMNAL... but

DUI is .08... plain and simple OUI is a cop saying you were not completely in control of your car and you smelled of alcohol.... no legal limit for OUI. The verbiage on carrying and under the influence sounds mighty close to OUI... "At the cops discretion"... Bad law.. and not defending it, just saying that I would not rely on being below .08 to get you off on the drinking and carrying thing..

And.. did I miss something? folks jumpin on negotiator for locking up his gun? Law or no law isnt that his business??

is ther both an OUI and a DUI i MA? I didnt think there was....

Yes. In Ma there are both.. I picked this up at Jury duty 2 weeks ago.. Individual drove over someone's lawn, almost hit a few parked cars.. The charge was OUI and the only evidence of drink was the cop saying he smelled alcohol. The judge instructed us as to the meaning of OUI and DUI..

We found out later the the individual refused the breath test and OUI was the worst they could throw at her.. I assume she lost the License for refusing to blow, but that was not brought up.

Yeah, but the arbitrary nature of defining "under the influence" is vague enough that it deserves a once over. It sounds like little more than an arbitrary charge based in opinion rather than proof they can slap you with if you decide not to blow, and you can't fight it... kind of like how all moving violations put the onus of proving innocence on the person written up. Take note of the space where you sign to request an appeal for a moving violation or on some parking tickets. It says under the line "NAME OF OFFENDER", and the time I appealed I crossed that out simply because I feel that signing something like that is an admission of guilt. not to mention the obvious jackboot concept of having to spend your own time and money to prove you did nothing wrong instead of them having to prove you did.

Last edited:
+100000
Could not agree more... This is just what went on in court and I pass my expeirience on .. as is!!!

I agree that any law that allows the LEO leway based on opinion is bad.. for both us and the LEOs.. However, I am also upset when I here of some official following the letter of the law and not using their assesment of the situation/opinion (that school kicked out for having a spent cartridge comes to mind)..

I am not smart enough to figure it out.. "Use your brian when I agree and follow the letter of the law when I think you must"... Grrrrr Maybe any law theat needs to have a LEOs opinion appied to it should not be a law...

Anyway, I think we are getting real close to the edges of this thread.. maybe we need to move on to something more focused??

I hardly ever go out to the bars. I would much rather sit in the back yard with my close group of friends, lounging around the fire pit, grilling some burgers, watching the game so you can actually hear the commentary, and being away from all the fruitloops and tough guys. Bars are too loud, too occupied, and too expensive.

Of course I've been out bar-hopping plenty of times, and those are the nights that I'm not carrying. I hope that my luck is not so bad that I'd be threatened with death/ grave bodily injury on the rare occasion that I'm not carrying. It also helps that I'm extremely even tempered and it takes a lot to get me perterbed. For some reason, alcohol only intensifies that aspect of my personality. I can hold my liquor pretty damn well, and I only get quieter and calmer.

Back
Top Bottom