• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Carrying in bars in Boston

Tough question here. I understand the thinking about how guns and alcohol don't mix. I also like to go out for beers with the guys, or maybe dinner and drinks with the wife and our friends. I will say that we don't go looking for trouble or frequent places that have a bad reputation. But even so, walking around Boston late night does open you up to exposure to some less desirable company. It seems like my only legal alternatives are to not go out or to go out and be vulnerable. Neither appeals to me, although I've been choosing the latter alternative so far. I'm interested in hearing about how you or friends that you know of [wink] deal with this quandry.

I do have an LTC-A with no restrictions.

If I intend to have even a drop of alcohol at any time, I am not carrying. Not because I particularly agree with the laws, but because they are the laws and breaking them isnt going to get any change in this state (whether it is this specific topic, or another firearm related law)

My thoughts on it were to carry OC, but can you even do that if you are out drinking?

A car accident, an injury, a medical emergency, an accidental exposure - anything that could put you into contact with a cop who doesn't like a civilian ccw could call your chief and complain you had the odor of alcoholic beverage on your breath and were carrying.

For that reason, stick to non-alcoholic beverages if you are carrying. A revocation is too a high a price to pay for a beer or two.

I think going out with the wife for a meal and a glass of wine are not that horrid as a prelude if the unthinkable would occur. Not so much for the former situation of going pounding with your buddies.

One situation is you going out with the wife and being responsible, the other is going out (safety in numbers) with your friends, which may not be that responsible when you think about it in the retelling.

I have never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

I'm just glad I can't drink due to a medication I take.

The laws leave folks with a real dilemma. As you say, you don't have to be drunk or impaired in any way to be in a place that could expose you to excactly the kind of risk that would make you want to be carrying.

you know - there are lots of really nice bars in boston, in good areas were you dont have to fear your life to go and enjoy...

you know - there are lots of really nice bars in boston, in good areas were you dont have to fear your life to go and enjoy...

You could say the same about any type of venue. Go to only nice neighborhoods. Only no risk areas. Why carry concealed at all?

I think the answer is that most people can't accurately predict where risks will develop. Many bars are greater sources of risks than the average venue, just because people consume alcohol there.

Speaking for myself, I said '...could expose you to...'

Last edited:
if your going to bring your gun into a bar make sure you dont miss, because if you do theres a extremely high chance the round will hit someone else.
i think its a terrible idea to put yourself into that situation, if you absolutely have to have some sort of defense other then your body - bring OC.

I don't see what the question is here.

If you're going to get sloshed, then don't carry.

If not, then why not carry? I don't see what the "quandry" is here, unless your trip to boston involves meandering through a college campus (where it's obviously illegal) or going to/from a venue with a security checkpoint.

I kinda agree with Underwhere in the sense that if you're "wonky" about carrying a firearm while barhopping, why not just seek a middle ground and get a good can of OC instead? It's a hell of a lot better than nothing.

-Mike

If I'm carrying and I'm at a bar, I don't drink. The only exception is whenever I'm out to dinner with friends and family where I'll have a beer or two (or wine) with my meal. Then again, that's very different from being in a bar setting so I suppose that doesn't count.

While I don't believe there are any MGLs that prohibit the carrying of firearms while drinking at any BAC (most states do have a limit), if you were to have any type of (negative) LEO contact you can rest assured that they will let your chief know to revoke your LTC due to unsuitability. There is always a trade off between enjoying an alcoholic beverage and keeping you and your loved ones save. You have to make your own decisions on whether or not you will allow yourself to drink and carry.

I agree with what the others said, you should carry some OC instead. I never CCW when I have even a sip of any alcoholic beverage. The purpose of carrying a weapon is to protect yourself in the event you feel your life is threatened. The moment such an event occurs, you can be certain it will trigger a police response. The fact that you have consumed alcohol would be devastating to your self defense claim. Trust that nothing good can possibly come of this. Get yourself a good can of OC. Don't worry, no one will call you a wimp [wink]

I carry OC as part of my daily carry anyway. That being said, I also tend not to drink a lot when I go out to a bar unless I'm staying close by. If I were going out for a beer or three, I would not hesitate to stick to my carry routine - especially in Boston. If it were a grog festival, then I'd likely just stick to the OC and my fists if the need arose...

A little clarity will be helpful in this thread. Many of the comments appear to indicate that some of you believe that it is illegal to carry in a bar in Boston. While I cannot speak as to whether Boston has a specific law I believe I can speak concerning state law on this issue.

Carrying in a bar is legal in the commonwealth of Massachusetts. However, it is illegal to carry while "intoxicated". Now here is the problem. DUI law has a specific blood alcohol level that determines when a person is in violation of DUI law.

There is no such blood alcohol designation under the firearms portion of the law. This means that if you even have the smell of alcohol on you an officer may successfully make the case that you are intoxicated.

This is how I understand the law.

I just read an article on the dangers of drinking....
It really scared the shit out of me.
So that's it!
After today, no more reading.

[wink]

While I don't believe there are any MGLs that prohibit the carrying of firearms while drinking at any BAC (most states do have a limit), if you were to have any type of (negative) LEO contact you can rest assured that they will let your chief know to revoke your LTC due to unsuitability.

You are wrong. There is a statute prohibiting carrying while intoxicated.

Although you can carry in a bar I always tell people not to bother. Yes guns and alcohol dont mix but there are some bars that will do "pat downs" or wand you and refuse you entry.

Why do people that carry handguns and go out to dinner INSIST on having only a couple? Are you alcoholics or something? Just DON'T drink and you won't have a problem regarding the liquor issue and handguns. PLAIN AND SIMPLE.
Everyone here takes pride in having their LTC and being a a responsible individual, so why cause yourself needless issues? Lawyers feast on people like you.
Just my $.02...

Why do people that carry handguns and go out to dinner INSIST on having only a couple? Are you alcoholics or something? Just DON'T drink and you won't have a problem regarding the liquor issue and handguns. PLAIN AND SIMPLE.
Everyone here takes pride in having their LTC and being a a responsible individual, so why cause yourself needless issues? Lawyers feast on people like you.
Just my $.02...

I like leaving my toys at home and having a BUNCH of beers..But thats just me...lol [devil]

You are wrong. There is a statute prohibiting carrying while intoxicated.

except, like all the other firearms related laws, its nice and vague what constitutes "intoxicated", which is why I wont carry if Im consuming alcohol. I will stick to OC and my knife.

Just my $.02...

It I were an alcoholic, then I just wouldn't drink; since I'm not, I'll continue to drink responsibly whenever I choose. For starters, if I were going out to a bar or two, I'd be happy that some bars pat-down or wand patrons; then I'd know which ones to avoid whether or not I'm carrying. Any time I'm going to drink enough that effects my judgment or reactions, I'm going to do it at home, since I don't like the idea of setting myself up as a potential victim. Otherwise, I'm not going to leave by gun at home (or my OC), nor am I going to limit myself to club soda with lime. Being a responsible adult, I'm going to do exactly what I always do: order a single malt or a beer, depending on my mood and the setting, which will last me for the course of my meal. If that's too scary for you, or you don't trust yourself to stop once you've started, then stick to the soft drinks or leave your guns at home. As Harry once said, "a man's got to know his limitations."

Ken

It I were an alcoholic, then I just wouldn't drink; since I'm not, I'll continue to drink responsibly whenever I choose. For starters, if I were going out to a bar or two, I'd be happy that some bars pat-down or wand patrons; then I'd know which ones to avoid whether or not I'm carrying. Any time I'm going to drink enough that effects my judgment or reactions, I'm going to do it at home, since I don't like the idea of setting myself up as a potential victim. Otherwise, I'm not going to leave by gun at home (or my OC), nor am I going to limit myself to club soda with lime. Being a responsible adult, I'm going to do exactly what I always do: order a single malt or a beer, depending on my mood and the setting, which will last me for the course of my meal. If that's too scary for you, or you don't trust yourself to stop once you've started, then stick to the soft drinks or leave your guns at home. As Harry once said, "a man's got to know his limitations."

Ken

+1 I fully agree!

When I used to frequent bars, I would always carry, just as I would at any other place where the law does not prohibit it.

I felt comfortable that if I could legally drive (.08) than I would not be considered "intoxicated." I guess the safest thing (legally) would be not to drink, or perhaps not to carry at all ever, however that doesn't work for me. So, I just follow the letter of the law and keep some cash on reserve for a good lawyer.

Correct I am.

Willfully obtuse you am.

M.G.L.c. 269, § 10H. Carrying loaded firearm while under influence of liquor, marijuana, narcotic drugs, depressants or stimulant substances; punishment.

Section 10H. Whoever, having in effect a license to carry firearms issued under section 131 or 131F of chapter 140, carries on his person, or has under his control in a vehicle, a loaded firearm, as defined in section 121 of said chapter 140, while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or marijuana, narcotic drugs, depressants or stimulant substances, all as defined in section 1 of chapter 94C, or the vapors of glue shall be punished by a fine of not more than $5,000 or by imprisonment in the house of correction for not more than two and one-half years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

TSTL [rolleyes]

To respond to the OP, I have carried in bars in the past and will again i nthe future. When I carry, I don't drink even a sip of alcohol, and I won't even touch an alcoholic beverage while in the establishment to keep any potential witnesses from getting confused. I keep it concealed, I mind my own business and have a good time.

When I drink I don't carry a gun, just OC, and it's almost always at my home or a friend's. If it's out in public it's with a large crowd of friends to help even my odds.

I've carried in bars in Boston in this manner, and I've never had any problems in the bars, although one time on the way home I ran into a situation where I was glad to have a gun (I posted about it in the members forum awhile back).

I say, screw the bars. Build a bar in your basement and have your friends over. OR convince one of your friends to build the bar (if you don't have the ability/living arrangements to build one). That way you don't have to worry about running into trouble makers. Also, you get a lot more milage out of your money buying your own beer/booze than you do with the $6.00 beers and $10.00 watered down drinks at a bar. Plus, if one of your friends pass out a sharpie becomes a very fun thing to have at that point. Or a camera and a male blowup doll... guess who's buying the supplys next time... tee hee.[smile]

Back
Top Bottom