• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Carry when at sea?

GSG

I have a family member with a boat who's invited me to spend the day on the ocean around Boston, then possibly docking it in Boston and going to dinner or something. I have my ALP LTC-A, but I'm wondering if there's any other regulations I need to be aware of when on the water? Does the Coast Guard or someone else not allowed loaded guns on a boat? How far out are international waters, and would carry/posession out there be a problem? I also read somewhere that guns aren't allowed within 500 feet of Logan airport?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cruise ships are a no-no because it's Sovereign property from their parent country when they leave port.

On a personally owned boat I believe it's ok. Just make sure you stay away from Logan and any other State waters.

If you are boarded by the USCG they will ask if there are any firearms on the boat. They may take it and unload it or ask you to unload it and put it in a safe location like a drawer or toolbox. A boarding team member will then stand by to make sure the weapon is not accessed by you or anyone on the boat while they conduct their boarding. If you are going to be drinking while you are out in the boat than I would recommend against bringing a firearm. I would also recommend against drinking while boating but the combination may get you in trouble. Finally when you get back from your excursion make sure you clean your weapon as salt is bad juju for them especially if you have a leather holster. I cant speak for local or state LEOs or harbormasters though.

Not being very informed when it comes to boats, one thing I can point out is when I'm working on a dive boat back in NJ, one of the briefing points before leaving the dock is no firearms under any circumstances. That includes LE. But as I said, this boat is a commercial vessel under Coast Guard regulations.

Maybe someone with a connection can expand on this area.

As long as you are in state waters and you have a ccw permit you should be fine.I don't know the laws for international waters or how far out they start.I would recommend as stated above about not getting to close to the airport.In Ct. if you are 500yards offshore you can shoot off of a boat as long as they're steel loads (ex.shotgun).

Thanks for the help. Don't worry, I don't drink while boating or carrying, ever. [grin] Call me old fashioned.

Good to know though, and I'll give the Coast Guard a call and see what they have to say.

Thanks for the help. Don't worry, I don't drink while boating or carrying, ever. [grin] Call me old fashioned.

Good to know though, and I'll give the Coast Guard a call and see what they have to say.

Don't.

If you stay in Massachusetts waters, be licensed in Massachusetts.

If you stay in Massachusetts waters and the territorial sea, ditto.

If you venture into the waters of another state, either be licensed by that state or take pains to satisfy the requirements of 18 U.S.C. sec. 926 (a/k/a FOPA).

I have a friend in the coast guard and he said the same thing. As long as you are in MA waters you are fine. He said in actuality most of them don't know the state laws too well as far as carrying, so as long as you don't give them trouble they won't give you any. Even though it is legal to have a beer while you are driving your boat as long as you are under the legal limit stay away from it. They typically pull over any boater they see drinking and driving.

I have a friend in the coast guard and he said the same thing. As long as you are in MA waters you are fine. He said in actuality most of them don't know the state laws too well as far as carrying, so as long as you don't give them trouble they won't give you any. Even though it is legal to have a beer while you are driving your boat as long as you are under the legal limit stay away from it. They typically pull over any boater they see drinking and driving.

Drinking and driving is not illegal if you’re under the limit on the water? Or is your buddy just saying they don't bother with the hassle?

It is not illegal, although if any costie sees you they will likely stop you to see if you are intoxicated. The same blood alcohol limit still applies on the water though.

Don't quote me on any of this do your own research but I have been told my a coastie and also am 99% sure I read it in a mass boating law book.

Back
Top Bottom