Carry gun or 1911?

Right now my only handgun is a Sig P226 in 9. Nice sccurate range gun, or home defense, but I've never carried it.

Living in the suburbs near the RI border of MA I can't carry into RI or to the office (banned), just 3 miles from my house. Plus the Sig is pretty big. Went out looking at carry pistols in 9mm or maybe. 380 and what really jumped out at me was a Ruger SR1911 CMD. Loved the feel of it in my hand. But it's heavier than the Sig!

Looking for some suggestions, as I doubt I will carry often even with an M&P Shield (my first choice). If the SR1911 was alloy I'd probably be done. Seems that having the ability to shoot more calibers is a plus, and 9 isn't cheap anymore and is scarce. Trying to keep the cost down too.

Both ideas sound appealing. The 1911 in steel frame just seems too heavy for carry. I'm trying to be realistic, knowing I've never carried the 226. The 936 seems nice, if pricey, but probably won't fit my hand like a glove as the Ruger did.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Are you near AFS in Attleboro? Do they still rent guns? If so, maybe you can try a few smaller pistols before you commit to one.

I am near AFS (Franklin, safest city in America two years running) and MFA as well. They also rent. That's a good idea.

Both ideas sound appealing. The 1911 in steel frame just seems too heavy for carry. I'm trying to be realistic, knowing I've never carried the 226. The 936 seems nice, if pricey, but probably won't fit my hand like a glove as the Ruger did.

If you think an empty steel frame 1911 is heavy, what do you think a loaded alloy one is going to feel like?

I say carry the 1911. I carry my S&W pc1911 as my EDC. Either in a Milt Sparks Nexxus or my UBG Striker (both IWB's) depending which belt I'm wearing.

Chip

Thanks guys. I realize my direction is unclear, that's because I'm trying to weigh the benefit of easy carry, against having a more accurate and powerful 1911 (and ability to shoot .45), against possible compromise of an alloy 1911. Since I've never carried its hard for me to correctly value ease of carry.

Thanks guys. I realize my direction is unclear, that's because I'm trying to weigh the benefit of easy carry, against having a more accurate and powerful 1911 (and ability to shoot .45), against possible compromise of an alloy 1911. Since I've never carried its hard for me to correctly value ease of carry.

First of all, don't buy into that "more accurate and more powerful" bullshit. If you're looking for a CCW, any 9mm on the market is powerful enough to do the job, and certainly more accurate that you are - the only X factor is how well you carry and shoot it. If you want a more accurate gun because you're getting into competition where extreme accuracy matters, or if you want a larger caliber gun because it's a range toy that will make you happen, than that's fine. Just don't fool yourself as to the reason you want it.

A CCW is a tool, first and foremost, and one day it could be the tool that you stake your life on. A CCW can also be a range toy or a competition gun, but it's priority is still as a serious tool. In other words, don't carry your range toy, instead play with your CCW at the range.

And you're going to feel really silly if you find yourself in a situation when you need a CCW but you don't have one because you have a range toy sitting in your safe at home instead.

But before you make any big decisions, perhaps you should try carrying your P226. The side and weight is not all that different from a commander size 1911. Buy or borrow a holster and tote it around for a few days - that will give you a better idea of the ease or challenges of carrying a large gun, and will give you a better idea of whether you would want to carry a 1911.

Also keep in mind that the art of conceal carry is not one that you master your first time out. Odds of being happy with your first CCW and first holster are not very high, and you'll likely change your mind several times before you settle on something that works for you. Most of us have gone through several iterations of guns, and have a box of holsters under our beds that we've tried and used until we found something better.

I've got P227 Carry, which I've read is similar in bulk to the P226, with the Carry being about a half inch shorter. I've also got a Shield. And, I'm wanting a 1911. But, for ccw, the Shield all day long. Slim enough to tuck almost anywhere, but easy to get a good grip on, and simple to use. The controls are minimal, and not likely to snag on anything. I'd rather it didn't have the manual safety, but it has never activated accidentally. I'll always have it.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. I like the suggestion to try carrying the P226. I'll start empty around the house first.

I'm leaning towards a dedicated carry gun, and will need to try a bunch, including those suggested like the P936 and Shield. Kahrs, Nano, PPS, LC9 anything else I should try, as sold for MA? LCR9 felt good, but is bigger. Remington R51 isn't legal yet is it?

I carry my SW 1911 every day and the weight of it does not bother me at all and I'm a woman. I got the sub compact so it has a 3" barrel which is easier to conceal and I love it! I had people try to tell me to get something smaller... no freaking way!

Last edited:
I like to carry snubnose revolvers, the LCR in my case.
I also have the P226 in 9mm as my target and home defense pistol.
I also just bought have the little Ruger SR22.
If I know I will be going to the range for some inexpensive cheap target practice, I use it also as my carry and bother packing the LCR.
Sometimes, if I go target with the Sig, I use it for carry too, but the only concealment possible is in the breast pocket of my winter coat with a pocket holster.
I did get a fanny pack by blackhawk, and the Sig P226 fits in it, but barely. I like it. It is nice and sturdy. good option for the summer because it is unmarked.

Back
Top Bottom