can't reassemble garand trigger group!!

Help! Cleaning my new Garand.

i can't re-install the trigger group into the receiver - it feels like the pins on the trigger guard are not engaging the slots in the receiver and it is taking too much pressure to pull the trigger guard rearward so that it will seat into the slot in the stock. it is a CMP stock, and it was "difficult" to disassemble as well. i only field stripped the rifle; did not disassemble trigger group - just cleaned everything of thick grease.

I'm afraid that i'll bend the trigger guard if i force too much. the action is "cocked" as the disassembly instructions said to clear the rifle and close the bolt.

I put a dab of grease in the 2 grooves in the receiver for the pins on the trigger guard. It feels "close" to engaging, but still afraid to go any farther without asking: what am i doing wrong? thanks!
-rob

Last edited:
I had a Marine take my M1 apart when I got it from CMP and haven't touched it since, so regrettably I can only offer a pointer to the info.

http://www.stevespages.com/page7c.htm has the US Military manuals on everything you need to know to care for an M1. Do a search on this page and then print out your own manual.

Good luck.

Once the trigger group is fully seated in the receiver and flush with the stock it might take some pressure to latch the trigger guard. The stock may need some minor trimming but I'd hold off on that for now.. If the other link doesn't work, try this one..

http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/garand/m1.htm

As far as lube, I use Luraplate from Brownell's. The pint will last you a lifetime.

Are you talking about the Trigger Guard or the entire trigger assembly not going in right?

If it's the trigger guard, you'll just need to force it. If it's the trigger assembly, you're doing something else wrong as it should just drop in.

Got it....

thanks mil-surp people; yes, it was the whole trigger assembly that i was re-assembling. the "trigger group" as it is called, would drop into the receiver, but couldn't latch the trigger guard down. i think the stock may have swelled a bit in the humidity? this is teh first time i have done this. anyway, back together now, and without a big hammer or any damage. whew!

there seemed to be a point where i felt the trigger adjust itself, then the guard could go the rest of the way and click in. i think it is still way too tight a fit. i'll wait until winter and see how it fits then. if still too tight, then stock is a little big i think.
-rob

you need to make sure that the guard is all the way up and forward when you insert, and that you align it correctly. Once you get it down, it's easy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom