Canoeing the Mississippi River - Bringing A Firearm Questions

How about a Ruger Old Army. BP is non-firearm and you can load it pretty stout. Keep it in a really dry bag. Even made in stainless.

I know my post count is low, therefore my credibility here is low. But I am familiar with the Mississippi in Louisiana.

The issue here isn't the guns.... Its the trip itself. Don't know about the upper reaches. But if they try to navigate the river below Baton Rouge in a canoe, they're going to drown. Really.

The Mississippi is no place for a ka ka new. Anybody with a 10% brain knows that.

Having traveled this route many times, in my Mark Twain days, they need a marine radio.

They should learn about and pay attention to river levels as the perfect sand bar to camp on could be river by morning. They should consider ending above the Port of Baton Rouge. They'd be idiots to try to traverse the Port of New Orleans.

The nautical rules of the road are largely ignored on the Miss - where the biggest takes the right of way.

Suggest buying a Ruger 10-22 in Kentucky or leave/ mail one at/to Economy Boat Store in Wickliffe KY.

I've met and talked to people making the same trip in kayaks and wave-runners.

By the time they're South of Memphis, the view rarely changes.

Best of luck to them both!

Thanks man! I'll pass along the knowledge.

I know my post count is low, therefore my credibility here is low. But I am familiar with the Mississippi in Louisiana.

The issue here isn't the guns.... Its the trip itself. Don't know about the upper reaches. But if they try to navigate the river below Baton Rouge in a canoe, they're going to drown. Really.

Thank you. I'll definitely pass along your thoughts.

How about a Ruger Old Army. BP is non-firearm and you can load it pretty stout. Keep it in a really dry bag. Even made in stainless.

Interesting...............

This! I've done this type of thing on the Red River Starting in Texarkana. We made it to the locks in Alexandria before we realized the fools errand we were on and pulled out of the river. I wouldn't even dream of doing what you guys are doing.... no way.

hey, IF you are a skilled canoeist, and have one of those covers for high water....it could be done. There is a TON of traffic on that river, so you will be constantly swamped with wakes.

As far as a gun....a stainless steel one makes sense! Since it will be going swimming with you often! [smile]

I watched one of the ocean boats come up the river not long ago, that was crazy to watch. Big butted boat 'drifting' around turns literally or figuratively depending on how grammer :D nazi you are being.

I was on the bank and peed myself for protection. I would have pooped myself, but I have my limits.

But seriously, what do they think they are going to protect themselves from? You aren't going to shoot a gator from a canoe and I don't know of much wildlife (at least in the southern parts) that is a realistic threat. If they are thinking of protection from other humans, if they aren't 'gun guys', I don't think it'll help much since pretty much everyone and their mothers have guns down here.

Thanks man! I'll pass along the knowledge.

Thank you. I'll definitely pass along your thoughts.

Interesting...............

I wouldn't pass along the black powder suggestion to non-gun people. It's borderline hairbrain, if not just nonsensical.

1. The Old Army has no transfer bar safety. So they would have to know to not load six, but five.

2. Carrying a revolver, a shiny stainless one at that, with a 5.5" or 7.5" barrel will not be easy to conceal on your person. Some Illinois game warden or county sheriff or state police on boats might take notice. When people are caught with black powder handguns, they're usually arrested first and then released after being brought into court.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...dge-ordered-me-to-get-an-indian-carry-permit/

3. "Keep your powder dry" wasn't just a cute expression back then. A carry pistol is supposed to be carried on your person. If you're in a boat, you want it on you so if you go in the drink, the gun comes with you. Glock or 1911? No problem. A single action black powder percussion revolver in water may be a different proposition.

4. "Load it pretty stout", for a gun person, means pushing the edges of the reasonable pressure limit of your ammo's charges. Telling this to non-gun people may not end well. Black powder guns (the rifles I've seen anyways) come with a manual you can use to figure out correct powder charges. Would you tell a novice handloader of cartridges to push the limits with his first batch of reloads? No, standard advice is to start low and work your way up over time.

5. If he actually has to shoot the thing, how is he going to be with reloads?

This is why we need Trump and his 50-State Carry platform.

If you can carry legally in your home state, you can carry anywhere.

It is very exciting we may be mere months away from Common Sense Laws.

Back
Top Bottom