• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Canada Border Crossing with firearm?

Guns, no way. But I went through with a can of bear spray, a hatchet, and a roll of duct tape and they thought that was just fine. Clearly, Pierre the border guard, had no imagination.
Friend of mine used to put plastic frogs on his hat just to troll see if one of them would get insulted, even the very french ones were clueless he never did get a rise out of them..... 🤣

Long gun or hand gun.

Who are you shipping to? If an FFL, they probably won't transfer a handgun to you as it's illegal(unless there is a goofy AK carve out).
If a friend(or yourself), don't ask don't tell is an option--USPS priority mail flat rate stuff is the best way to go for affordability and timeliness.

Regardless, if you're shipping to an FFL ensure they are able to transfer it to you when you get there. Squarebanks is an easier drive then getting down to Anc.

Definately reccomend planning your trip through Cananda well along with hotel reservations, but if you're going during the travel season you don't need the crazy extra stuff some people bring. You might need that north of Fairbanks though.
Good info, working on research now. I'm RV'ing it, so i'm hoping for no hotel expenses and only a few RV parks. And lots of spare parts and tools.

That's almost universally true no matter which other country.

Also: aside from Canada's rules, if you don't declare it on the US side before leaving, you won't be coming back in with it. They'll treat it like an import, and it's not happening.
US customs has a form you can use to prove in-US ownership of anything before you leave - I don't think they even keep a record of it. When I did it with handguns, it was a form on a pad about the side of an Rx pad (before that went almost all digital) that the traveler would fill out and customs would rubber stamp. I was never asked to show this when returning to the US, but that is probably because I had the form. The form is not just for guns, but for things likely to be brought to avoid duty - Japanese cameras, Exotic watches, etc.

Firearms into Canada.. Nope,... Ship it.
Don’t ship ammo to Alaska either if it goes through Canada. I had a shipment of about 7 or 8 boxes of .375 H&H Magnum which was being sent to Juneau turned back at the border (the rifles went through fine) even though the ammo and guns were sent by an FFL here in the states to an FFL in Alaska. Had ammo returned to me and then had to send the ammo to Seattle and then use the maritime shipping to Juneau.

Firearms into Canada.. Nope,... Ship it.

Will any of the CCs even let you ship guns to yourself anymore? Especially handguns.

The one trick you can do with an FFL is ship.it to them for "cleaning" and then pick it up in person. Many wont play that game though.

Guns, no way. But I went through with a can of bear spray, a hatchet, and a roll of duct tape and they thought that was just fine. Clearly, Pierre the border guard, had no imagination.
About 20 years ago I went to Vancouver BC. I took the train from Seattle (it was a great scenic ride) with my smoke show gf. My friend drove from Seattle to the same place in his 1970's pickup truck that had it's bed filled with his bathroom he had just demo'd (sink, smashed mirror, walls, toilet). The Canadians didn't care at all going in. But the US seemed to not be happy about it returning. [rofl]

The US border guards always seem like they have an issue I don't get it.

Will any of the CCs even let you ship guns to yourself anymore? Especially handguns.
Nope. Not if you follow the law and inform them it's a firearm.

The one trick you can do with an FFL is ship.it to them for "cleaning" and then pick it up in person. Many wont play that game though.
If they keep it overnight, they must do a 4473/NICS transfer, even if it's yours.

Twenty years ago my company was outsourcing phone support on older products.

First company they hired was in the UK, but mostly staffed by Indians/Pakistani's who really were tough to understand.

They switched to a company in Sydney Nova Scotia as the language barrier wouldn't be an issue. Of course those folks weren't familiar with the products, they had some regular phone support guys going up to provide training, but they were in a crunch so they required some senior field folks to go up and help out by giving OJT.

Land at Halifax airport, Candian customs/immigration wants to know purpose of my visit- it's end of October- nobody is going to the maritimes for vacation.

I explain it's for work.

They got all pissy asking what I was doing going to Canada to do work that a Canadian should be doing, I needed a special visa that I didn't have, they were gonna put me on the next flight back to Boston- until I explained I was helping train Canadians to replace US workers.

After that, smooth sailing.

I think you can ship a handgun to yourself, care of the place you will be staying. The package should be left unopened and delivered to you, not handled as a transfer by an entity not an FFL. An FFL cannot legally transfer a handgun to someone not a resident of the state in which the transfer occurs, and I don't believe there is an exception for "but I already own the gun...".

While an ffl can only tranfer to a resident of that state a handgun, a transfer is a change of ownership. If there is no change in ownership no 4473 is needed. As it's not a transfer of ownership and does not meet one of the 4473 situations. Interesting thought indeed as that situation is not addressed by the feds.
This is a freight holding service similar to shipping to self using a in care of contact provided the seal of the package is not broken except by the owner of the contents. The only difference is in this case rsther than a ups store, or relative it is a holder of an ffl. If the ffl never opened the box just verified a dl of the person it was shipped to it shouldn't be a problem I would think.

Address label

Jim jones
C/O A1 firearms attn receiving manager
123 main st
Amchorage ak

Rma # 123456789

Upon receiving the package the ffl doesn't open it, just puts it aside and when jim jones shows up can use the rma as a password.
Jim shows his dl, ffl hands over the still sealed package. Jim breaks the seal in the parking lot or off premise.

Would that be a transfer subject to the residents only restriction?

Nope. Not if you follow the law and inform them it's a firearm.

If they keep it overnight, they must do a 4473/NICS transfer, even if it's yours.
Something new? It's like when you send your firearm to a manufacturer for repair. They can ship it directly back to you - no NICS/4473. When you bring your firearm into a dealer for repair, if it's more than 24 hours they have to put it into their bound book. But no NICS/4473 for the owner to pick it up when done. Unlike when you pawn it, and you need to go through the check even though it's yours and you are the one picking it up.

Where is that written, because it doesnt make any sense. I've never done a 4473 after picking up a gun from a gunsmithing operation/work unless the frame was replaced. "Repair" "gunsmithing" etc is typically exempt.

ETA: I've never given someone a 4473 picking up a repair working at two different gun shops, whether the shop facilitated the repair with a remote (eg, send to manuf) or the shop did the repair itself over time. The guns were just logged in and out of the book, as long as the person that dropped it off is the one picking it up....

Last edited:
Where is that written, because it doesnt make any sense. I've never done a 4473 after picking up a gun from a gunsmithing operation/work unless the frame was replaced. "Repair" "gunsmithing" etc is typically exempt.

ETA: I've never given someone a 4473 picking up a repair working at two different gun shops, whether the shop facilitated the repair with a remote (eg, send to manuf) or the shop did the repair itself over time. The guns were just logged in and out of the book, as long as the person that dropped it off is the one picking it up....
This. ^^^^
Had a Colt Super38 done over. I already owned it. Dropped it off and picked it up at the shop who had it for a few months. No 4473 was done.
It was only entered into and out of the shops book.

if you were, say, driving from WA to Alaska, and wanted a slug shotgun to fend off the griz....i can see a good reason to have one with me.
sucks you can not bring a revolver!
According to this guy, self protection is not a reason to have a firearm.
Screenshot_20230625-105740.png

Don’t ship ammo to Alaska either if it goes through Canada. I had a shipment of about 7 or 8 boxes of .375 H&H Magnum which was being sent to Juneau turned back at the border (the rifles went through fine) even though the ammo and guns were sent by an FFL here in the states to an FFL in Alaska. Had ammo returned to me and then had to send the ammo to Seattle and then use the maritime shipping to Juneau.

No need to ship.

You can drive through with 5000 rounds. There is no need to ship it. You do have to declare it though. The border guard will likely write it down and use it as a gotcha during a search, so know what you have.

Commercial ammo shipments have to go up via boat. Every once in awhile we would go in on a pallet or two of 5.56. Tote is a big shipper.

You can also take ammunition on the plane. Most Alaskan Airlines to and from the L48 have a 50 pound limit.

The below ammo is prohibited in Canada:
Capture.JPG

Something new? It's like when you send your firearm to a manufacturer for repair. They can ship it directly back to you - no NICS/4473. When you bring your firearm into a dealer for repair, if it's more than 24 hours they have to put it into their bound book. But no NICS/4473 for the owner to pick it up when done. Unlike when you pawn it, and you need to go through the check even though it's yours and you are the one picking it up.

This. ^^^^
Had a Colt Super38 done over. I already owned it. Dropped it off and picked it up at the shop who had it for a few months. No 4473 was done.
It was only entered into and out of the shops book.

You are correct; I was mis-remembering the rules for gunsmiths. It's different for dealers.

§ 478.124 Firearms transaction record.
a. A licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer shall not sell or otherwise dispose, temporarily or permanently, of any firearm to any person, other than another licensee, unless the licensee records the transaction on a firearms transaction record, Form 4473: Provided, That a firearms transaction record, Form 4473, shall not be required to record the disposition made of a firearm delivered to a licensee for the sole purpose of repair or customizing when such firearm or a replacement firearm is returned to the person from whom received.

If a firearm is brought in for repairs and the owner waits while it is being repaired, or if the gunsmith is able to return the firearm to the owner during the same business day, it is not necessary to list the firearm in the A&D record as an “acquisition.”

If the gunsmith has possession of the firearm from one business day to another or longer, the firearm must be recorded as an “acquisition” and a “disposition” in the A&D record.

Don't do it, you're better off skipping canada if you're taking guns, there's a cool US based water taxi/ferry in WA that you can just drive onto with your guns and all.

Canada is a shithole of firearm regulation.
This. I travel to Montreal several times a year and Canadians, especially LEOs loathe firearms.
Ironically it was my Canadian uncle who first introduced me to firearms at 6 years old.

This. I travel to Montreal several times a year and Canadians, especially LEOs loathe firearms.
Ironically it was my Canadian uncle who first introduced me to firearms at 6 years old.

For the eleventyeth time.

He is not traveling to Canada to use them there.

He is transiting through and it is 100% legal to do for fudd type hunting guns along with his ammunition.

and plenty of Canadians love firearms

Years ago, a family member was camping in Canada and his son broke his arm. No big deal; the X-rayed it and and put it in a cast. A week later they were coming through the border on their return to the US and his son set off the radiation detector at the border.

Their fifth wheel and truck got a colonoscopy before they accepted that it was residual radiation from the the X-rays that were taken of his sons arm.

lucky u.last time i went up there they ask me if i have any weapons ,i told em that i have a small knife in my lunch box.they send out a swat team to greet me and took my cellphones,laptops,gps and wallet,and they search through it, they then found my ltc and they went through my suv looking 4 ammo and guns .

About 20 years ago I went to Vancouver BC. I took the train from Seattle (it was a great scenic ride) with my smoke show gf. My friend drove from Seattle to the same place in his 1970's pickup truck that had it's bed filled with his bathroom he had just demo'd (sink, smashed mirror, walls, toilet). The Canadians didn't care at all going in. But the US seemed to not be happy about it returning. [rofl]

The US border guards always seem like they have an issue I don't get it.
Probably thought he was trying to sneak in a pre-ban 5GPF toilet.

For the eleventyeth time.

He is not traveling to Canada to use them there.

He is transiting through and it is 100% legal to do for fudd type hunting guns along with his ammunition.

and plenty of Canadians love firearms
OP asked about crossing the Canadian border with firearms. Crossing with your EDC firearm is a PITA. It doesn't matter if you are using them or not, you must follow the Canadian laws.

My experience with the NY and VT border guards more recently has been less than pleasant. I've been crossing the border for 60 years.

OP asked about crossing the Canadian border with firearms. Crossing with your EDC firearm is a PITA. It doesn't matter if you are using them or not, you must follow the Canadian laws.

My experience with the NY and VT border guards more recently has been less than pleasant. I've been crossing the border for 60 years.

We crossed at a little crossing in Maine. One guard on the Canadian side. Asked me about 9 times if I had any guns, kept reminding me it was illegal to bring guns in. I kept telling him no, he kept asking. What a dork. Never searched the car or anything, just an annoying guy. The car was filled with obvious camping equipment, he didn't bat an eye at the bear spray or camp axe which were right on top of the back seat. It's clear they don't care about weapons, just guns. Because I had half a dozen weapons in the car.

Considering only an idiot for the most part would consider crossing with their EDC, I decided to not treat the OP like an idiot and assumed he was taking a hunting trip.

Every single encounter I've had with the Canadian border folks are better than the US folks. I must be doing something wrong.

Instead of using some random how to site, just go directly to the Canadian border folks-they are mostly user friendly for the and will point you in the right direction. Go to the source. For the most part it is straightforward and common sense.

Like I said up thread, folks cross the border with firearms all the time.

We crossed at a little crossing in Maine. One guard on the Canadian side. Asked me about 9 times if I had any guns, kept reminding me it was illegal to bring guns in. I kept telling him no, he kept asking. What a dork. Never searched the car or anything, just an annoying guy. The car was filled with obvious camping equipment, he didn't bat an eye at the bear spray or camp axe which were right on top of the back seat. It's clear they don't care about weapons, just guns. Because I had half a dozen weapons in the car.
Last time we crossed was late 90's or early 2000's. We were in northern Maine for a wedding, and my uncle said the trip was 5-1/2 hours either way (from VT), but that most of the way through Canada was highway. We took back roads in the U.S. going, but said "Let's try the Canada route" coming home. Nice lady at the border entering Canada asked if we had anything, or any pepper spray. Nope. She had us open the trunk. That was it. Returning to the U.S. through Highgate, VT the guy was total ass. Asked if we'd bought anything in Canada. Nope. Then he starts yelling at us "You didn't buy ANYTHING???!!? Open your trunk!". We ate lunch in CA. Guess we should have declared that?

So, Bear Spray is OK now, but pepper spray isn't? Weird.

Last time we crossed was late 90's or early 2000's. We were in northern Maine for a wedding, and my uncle said the trip was 5-1/2 hours either way (from VT), but that most of the way through Canada was highway. We took back roads in the U.S. going, but said "Let's try the Canada route" coming home. Nice lady at the border entering Canada asked if we had anything, or any pepper spray. Nope. She had us open the trunk. That was it. Returning to the U.S. through Highgate, VT the guy was total ass. Asked if we'd bought anything in Canada. Nope. Then he starts yelling at us "You didn't buy ANYTHING???!!? Open your trunk!". We ate lunch in CA. Guess we should have declared that?

So, Bear Spray is OK now, but pepper spray isn't? Weird.
Yes, it's on an official website somewhere, I had looked it up and printed the sheet out before we went, just in case. This was 3 years ago.

I believe repairs are exempt. If I remember correctly when I was working at a FFL the book for referrals was kept well away from the sale/consignment for this reason.

Back
Top Bottom