• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Canada Border Crossing with firearm?

US customs has a form you can use to prove in-US ownership of anything before you leave - I don't think they even keep a record of it. When I did it with handguns, it was a form on a pad about the side of an Rx pad (before that went almost all digital) that the traveler would fill out and customs would rubber stamp. I was never asked to show this when returning to the US, but that is probably because I had the form. The form is not just for guns, but for things likely to be brought to avoid duty - Japanese cameras, Exotic watches, etc.
Thats what I had to do back in Nov 1986. I used to go hunting up to the Nictau,Tobique river area of New Brunswick. We would enter at the Houlton Maine–Woodstock Border Crossing. Back then we only needed to fill out the US Customs proof of ownership paperwork for firearms. I don't recall any special paperwork for the Canadian customs just declare your firearms with the US Customs proof of ownership paperwork for firearms. Back then it was reasonable compared today. I think both US Customs and Canadian customs were more concerned and interested with all the cases of beer we were bringing into Canada than our hunting firearms. luckily, we didn't have to pay for any import taxes for the beer. Going thru my old hunting paperwork I found my original papers.

Attachments

• 20230711_183430 (3)gggg.jpg
    20230711_183430 (3)gggg.jpg
    573.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230711_183321 (2).jpg
    20230711_183321 (2).jpg
    814.9 KB · Views: 2
Tried a search but didn't come up with anything. Planning a drive to Alaska, wondering if anyone has any recent (since 10/2022) crossing with a firearm. Looks like just about everything is illegal, but there are some exceptions for just crossing through Canada and some shotgun exceptions. The rules are written worse than MA laws and if you happen to get it wrong and try to cross with an illegal firearm they get to confiscate it and keep it, even if you did the paperwork.
I know I can ship to a dealer in AK, but was hoping to have something with me on the drive.
Shotguns are fine. When I was planning a trip to middle of nowhere Quebec, I was gonna use the reason of "Wilderness protection". Check out this guy's video

Last edited:
Not related to this, but related to Canada ...

I was speaking with a friend that lives in MI and looking at a map of Detroit.

Looks like if you take the wrong exit on the highway, you have to cross into Canada to be able to turn around.

I looked at the traffic arrows for a while and there doesn't seem to be a way to turn around. Maybe I missed one.

That looks f*cked.

US SIDE:

Screenshot_20230713_064706_Maps.jpg

CANADA:

Screenshot_20230713_064723_Maps.jpg

I was able to find the blueprints for the highway:

spaghetti.jpg

The reason I was looking at this is because I will be flying there with a rifle and thought "what if my Uber takes the wrong turn and goes into Canada" ... fortunately the airport is far from there so not an issue.

Thats what I had to do back in Nov 1986. I used to go hunting up to the Nictau,Tobique river area of New Brunswick. We would enter at the Houlton Maine–Woodstock Border Crossing. Back then we only needed to fill out the US Customs proof of ownership paperwork for firearms. I don't recall any special paperwork for the Canadian customs just declare your firearms with the US Customs proof of ownership paperwork for firearms. Back then it was reasonable compared today. I think both US Customs and Canadian customs were more concerned and interested with all the cases of beer we were bringing into Canada than our hunting firearms. luckily, we didn't have to pay for any import taxes for the beer. Going thru my old hunting paperwork I found my original papers.
Nice. Yea, they have gone a lot more woke, just in the last year even.

Nice. Yea, they have gone a lot more woke, just in the last year even.
Long story short. Shotguns are okay. Pump or auto loading, tube fed, over 18" barrel.

At the US customs building, you need to fill out a Form 4457 and they verify the serial number on the firearm. Then when you get to the Canadian border, you declare you have a firearm. They tell you to park at the parking lot and you go into the Canadian Customs Building and either have a RCMP 5589 form already filled out (not signed) or fill it out in the Canadian Customs building that you sign in front of them. They also verify the serial number of the firearm. That form is good for 60 days and costs $25 that you pay at the Customs Building. That's it.

Back
Top Bottom