Can I store a gun in my car while at work?

I heard that the is a case law about being able to store a gun in your vehicle while at work . Anyone have an idea where I might be able to find more information on this?

Unloaded and locked in the trunk, or rear compartment if you have no trunk. You may argue that it is stored and does not have to be unloaded, but just remove the magazine and don't be a test case.

thanks everyone. sorry kevlar I was trying to find my old post and couldn't (new to this).

Anyways, my employer has a policy against having firearms on company property. I said this to the local police officer that I've been talking to and he said that he's pretty sure that there is a case law about that and since your vehicle is your property they have no right to search it. I haven't asked him any more about it since I've been asking him many other questions So I figured I'd ask you guys about it.

thanks for responding guys.

thanks everyone. sorry kevlar I was trying to find my old post and couldn't (new to this).

Anyways, my employer has a policy against having firearms on company property. I said this to the local police officer that I've been talking to and he said that he's pretty sure that there is a case law about that and since your vehicle is your property they have no right to search it. I haven't asked him any more about it since I've been asking him many other questions So I figured I'd ask you guys about it.

never ask cops about gun laws. Specially in MA.

No problem, we were all noobs once. [grin]

To find your threads/posts, click on "My Profile" (upper right of this page).

Then click "Find All Started Threads" or "Find All Posts" (halfway down on left side of page).

Last edited:
No problem, we were all noobs once. [grin]

To find your threads, click on "Settings" (upper right of this page).

Then click "View all Subscribed Threads" (halfway down on right side of page).

That only works if he's "subscibed" to all his posts/threads. Mine shows nothing when I do that.

I do this:
Click on "My Profile" at the top right.
Then click on "Find All Posts" in my profile section on the left side.

Or, you can just click on your name in any thread and click "View Forum Posts" in the little pop-up window.

That only works if he's "subscibed" to all his posts/threads. Mine shows nothing when I do that.

I do this:

Or, you can just click on your name in any thread and click "View Forum Posts" in the little pop-up window.
Or you can just click on "my profile" and then click on: view started threads.

It sounds like you're not talking about law but about policy. Properly secured, there is nothing illegal about storing a gun in your car. Your company policy, on the other hand, bans guns on their premises (from the sounds of it). Violation of this policy would likely result in a termination of your emolument at most and disciplinary action at the least.

The case law you would seek would be instances where an employer was somehow able to demand a search of your car. IANAL and cannot quote chapter and verse of law but my understanding is that, unless the right to inspect your property is given to them by your signing a contract of employment or other acknowledgement of corporate policy, your employer cannot lawfully search any of your personal property.

Your best bet is to keep your mouth shut and take care when storing your firearms to do so discreetly. Plenty of us are in this situation and do not have issues.

I do this:

Or you can just click on "my profile" and then click on: view started threads.

Yeah, thanks guys. I forgot I am automatically subscribed to any thread I start or post in. I fixed my previous post.

Sure, unless you work @ Logan. [sad]

That's true. +1

Last edited:
It's amazing how most people can't get their mouth shut.

The only time I said anything to a supervisor (fellow nra member) I had 1000LR rounds in my car that I bought during my lunch break, it was summer and my car was over 100degrees inside. I kept thinking they would all go off, so he let me go home early. Hahaha.

The only time I said anything to a supervisor (fellow nra member) I had 1000LR rounds in my car that I bought during my lunch break, it was summer and my car was over 100degrees inside. I kept thinking they would all go off, so he let me go home early. Hahaha.

I don't know exactly what tempature is needed to cook off a live round, but I have never heard stories of ammo cooking off in Iraq while stored in a vehicle or on someones person. I remember thinking about this when I left a bunch of ammo in the truck during a mid summer range trip. I figure desert temps reach 120 all the time.

Anyone know what temps rounds cook off at?

The OP should also know that while his employer may no be able to search his vehicle, refusal would probably result in his termination.

I guess, I would ask why you would even bother at all if you couldn't carry it on your person while at work. It would do you no good at all if it was locked, and unloaded in the trunk, so why not just leave it in your safe at home? As someone else mentioned "concealed, means concealed", so just don't go blabbing that you are carrying at work (unless you have to pass through metal detectors at the entrance). What is your reasoning behind wanting to keep it in the trunk? Are you worried that on your commute home you will get carjacked, or something, because once again, having it locked and unloaded in the trunk won't help.

but my understanding is that, unless the right to inspect your property is given to them by your signing a contract of employment or other acknowledgement of corporate policy, your employer cannot lawfully search any of your personal property.

True, but any employer, at any time, may say "You have a choice - consent to a search or you will be immediately terminated". Unless you're a member of a protected minority alleging discrimination, good luck finding an attorney to take a wrongful termination suit in such circumstances on a contingency fee basuis.

Are you worried that on your commute home you will get carjacked,

Lots of people stop by the range on their way home from work, particularly on Wednesdays (practice day at two MA clubs).

True, but any employer, at any time, may say "You have a choice - consent to a search or you will be immediately terminated". Unless you're a member of a protected minority alleging discrimination, good luck finding an attorney to take a wrongful termination suit in such circumstances on a contingency fee basuis.

Lots of people stop by the range on their way home from work, particularly on Wednesdays (practice day at two MA clubs).

ok, that is one situation that I didn't think of.[laugh] Anyway, my point was, why take the risk of leaving it unattended in your car all day - especially if there is a specific policy in place which forbids it? It may be legal under MA law, but on private property, the company has the right to restrict anything they see fit.[wink]

Company policy does not apply to everyone equally.
If you are cool with your boss and co-workers, you will be fine. No one will search your car.
If managers hate you, you show up to work late, with red eyes, and smelling like weed...well, you will get f---ed.
I am talking about the average work place. Not The airport, or bank, or government buildings.

Like I said above, my boss was cool with me having 1000 rounds in my car. He even joked about it, and when o asked to go home, he said: I have no choice, you have all that ammo, and laughed.

It is up to you to know if you can get away with it or not.

you are cool with your boss and co-workers, you will be fine. No one will search your car.
The bigger risk is a break in while you are at work, and the need to report a stolen gun.

Anyone know what temps rounds cook off at?

If ammunition were to cook off at 100 F, or even 150F, I would probably have to assume I have entered a new universe where the laws of physics are completely different. There would have to be oven like temperatures for that to happen. Somewhere between 250 degress and 400 I think is more likely.

The bigger risk is a break in while you are at work, and the need to report a stolen gun.

like i said, it all depends where you work.

i park where there are cameras, and no one breaks into cars there. I also dont give them an excuse to break into my car, i dont leave computers, GPS, cellphones, all that stuff is out of sight.

if i worked in a crappy neighborhood, it would be different.

What about the scenario that someone breaks into your car, steals your weapon, you report the theft, you're deemed "unsuitable", you lose your license - and your guns...?

thanks everyone, def new to this and just want to do it right.

haha, so which do I do? honestly I wasn't even sure if I finished posting it so the second time I subscribed it since I saw the options.

well, I asked the cop since he's the armory in town, teaches the safety course and is all into guns unlike most cops who don't even like to target practice.

so back to carrying. I drive into a hole in the wall to go to work and the reason to get an ltc is to be able to carry. I went shooting with a couple of guys after work prior to knowing about this policy and just happened to find out after. No-one knows about me carrying on the way to work and I'm planning on keeping it that way. Just get a bit nervous about someone seeing me lock it up since we all start around 8 and pull in at the same time.. also, does a locking glove count? the law state that the gun has to be locked an unloaded. So, if you can put the mag next to the gun can you also just lock it in the glove box?

Last edited:
Just get a bit nervous about someone seeing me lock it up since we all start around 8 and pull in at the same time..

Discretion is your friend, I would do everything quickly from the semi-hidden passenger compartment.

also, does a locking glove count?

A glove box, locked or unlocked, is a no-go.

the law state that the gun has to be locked an unloaded.

The law states that a firearm must be in a trunk or other secure container. The LAW says nothing about being unloaded for STORAGE in a vehicle, despite what was written in a particular book and is taught to LEOs in academy.

So, if you can put the mag next to the gun can you also just lock it in the glove box?

I would recommend leaving the mag in the gun, I wouldn't want to routinely load and unload a firearm inside my vehicle everyday. Instead of the glove box, why not get something like this http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm

What about the scenario that someone breaks into your car, steals your weapon, you report the theft, you're deemed "unsuitable", you lose your license - and your guns...?

We have to get over being in fear of losing your license when following the laws the state sets up. Your not the criminal if someone steals your property.

Back
Top Bottom