Can I store a gun in my car while at work?

I don't know exactly what tempature is needed to cook off a live round, but I have never heard stories of ammo cooking off in Iraq while stored in a vehicle or on someones person. I remember thinking about this when I left a bunch of ammo in the truck during a mid summer range trip. I figure desert temps reach 120 all the time.

Anyone know what temps rounds cook off at?

The OP should also know that while his employer may no be able to search his vehicle, refusal would probably result in his termination.

From a summary on the mythbusters episode :
For people that don't watch MythBusters on a regular basis, their most recent episode tested two scenarios of cooking off ammo. The first scenario was storing loaded guns and loose ammo in a stove, forgetting it was there and subsequently preheating the oven. The second scenario was throwing loose ammo into a campfire. I'm assuming the campfire test would be similar to having loose ammo in a house that is on fire. The MythBusters used a mix of .22, .44 and .50 BMG ammo in each scenario.

The general consensus of the results were that the brass cases were much more dangerous than the bullets themselves. Under heat (typically less than 500 degrees) the cases would split exposing sharp shrapnel-like edges as they were separating from the bullets. Being lighter than the bullets, the cases would also separate at significantly greater speeds. The MythBusters (Jamie and Adam) felt that although probably not lethal, you would be quite bloody if you were close to loose ammo under these circumstances.

The loaded handgun was only tested in the oven scenario. They used a revolver and predictably it seemed to be as lethal as pulling the trigger would have been. Although the results are rather intuitive (if you think about it), it's always entertaing to see these guys blow stuff up. The epsidode is titled "Red Rag to a Bull" and makes no mention of setting ammo on fire. The episode description is "Jamie and Adam learn whether red rags really affect bulls". It will be re-broadcast tonight (Thursday 8/23) at 7:00 PM on the Discovery channel.

If you watch this episode until the very end, you will also get to see them use the campfire to blow up a keg of beer (the horror
eek.gif
)!!!

I highly doubt that any natural ambient temperatures (even those inside a closed up car) would cause a cook off. Consider how hot the chamber, bolt and barrel of most semi-autos get after firing off a few rounds quickly. You can easily burn yourself by touching any of the parts, yet it's rare to have the next round cook off.

A Google search gives mixed results, but most say between 350 and 450 degrees F.

Just get one of these. It should meet both the spirit and letter of the law, as well as your company policy:

Stack-On Portable Case with Electronic Lock - Dick's Sporting Goods

Any company that would force you not only to be un-armed while on their property, but also while en route to and from work (by not letting you keep your firearm in a locked case in your locked car), isn't worth working for.

Just get one of these. It should meet both the spirit and letter of the law, as well as your company policy:

Any company that would force you not only to be un-armed while on their property, but also while en route to and from work (by not letting you keep your firearm in a locked case in your locked car), isn't worth working for.

While its probably a good idea its not required in NH.

I agree; If it ever came down to that, I'd be looking for a job.

I like that for a truck lockbox, may just have to pick one up. Of course in NH, there isn't any particular "letter of the law" concerning storage in my truck, but this would be much handier than in the locking compartment under the rear seat

While its probably a good idea its not required in NH.
In MA, all LTC holders have to constantly worry about "suitability". If the vehicle gets broken into and the gun stolen, it must be reported. When word gets back to the local chief who issued the LTC, chances are good that it will be yanked right on the spot, regardless of whether the gun was legally locked in the vehicle. FID holders do not have to worry about suitability, so as long as the gun has a trigger lock or is locked in a container inside the vehicle.

I don't know exactly what tempature is needed to cook off a live round, but I have never heard stories of ammo cooking off in Iraq while stored in a vehicle or on someones person. I remember thinking about this when I left a bunch of ammo in the truck during a mid summer range trip. I figure desert temps reach 120 all the time.

The OP should also know that while his employer may no be able to search his vehicle, refusal would probably result in his termination.

Throw a few on the grill and let us know what temp sets them off. [smile]

OK, thread resurrection time.....
and I'm wondering what legal standing I have if my employer starts asking questions (e.g. "do you keep a gun in your truck?) I would prefer to keep it to myself, but if the question is asked, I don't want to be untruthful.

What say the great informed masses at NES?

The correct answer is the same one you give to the question... " Does this outfit make my ass look fat?" In both instances honesty may result in great sorrow.

I understand that this would probably pertain to a wrongful termination claim if fired rather than preventing you from being fired, but how exactly is "company property" been defined in case law?

For example, many companies are in multi-tenant buildings. Parking spaces in the shared lot are available for use, but aren't specifically assigned to a particular tenant. Is the entire lot considered "company property?" How about an office park with multiple multi-tenant buildings? If you park in the lot of the neighboring building, are you on company property? Is company property anyplace you park while at work?

Back
Top Bottom