Can I store a gun in my car while at work?

What about the scenario that someone breaks into your car, steals your weapon, you report the theft, you're deemed "unsuitable", you lose your license - and your guns...?

That could also happen if someone breaks into your house.

Store them the way the law says they need to be stored, and don't give people an excuse to break into your car, and use common sense. Don't leave a gun inside a car in a shitty neighborhood.

And if you are so afraid of The law, sell your guns.

I don't know exactly what tempature is needed to cook off a live round, but I have never heard stories of ammo cooking off in Iraq while stored in a vehicle or on someones person. I remember thinking about this when I left a bunch of ammo in the truck during a mid summer range trip. I figure desert temps reach 120 all the time.

Anyone know what temps rounds cook off at?//
Rail cars exposed to sunlight in the SW can hit 165 degrees F. So most consumer products are designed to survive that shipping temperature.

The dark dash of a closed car in the sun can hit 140 degrees F in the same conditions, but the interior seldom exceeds 120. I found one reference that states that ammo should not be stored in temps over 120 or it will decompose: another stated 150. But that is storage, not transient.

The people I know who worry most about this are photographers. They usually put their stuff in a cooler. The heavy styrofoam coolers that Omaha Steaks ships their product in are ideal.

Tell that to the Poor Bastard in Lowell.

there was something else there. I forgot now, but wasnt he saying he lived somewhere, where he didnt? or something weird like that. theres a thread about it.

thanks, I did get one of those safe just last week might have to get another for my other car. I read someone that it has to be unloaded and in the trunk while transporting but not when the vehicle is parked thats just why I said it PLus the local cop told me that it has to be unloaded and locked and that it can be in the same container.

thanks, I did get one of those safe just last week might have to get another for my other car. I read someone that it has to be unloaded and in the trunk while transporting but not when the vehicle is parked thats just why I said it PLus the local cop told me that it has to be unloaded and locked and that it can be in the same container.

I don't see the point of it needing to be unloaded if the magazine can be kept in the same place as the gun. That just seems silly, since if someone were to access it, they have the ammunition right there with the gun anyway. As someone else mentioned, I learned that it does not need to be unloaded, only locked in a secure container like your trunk. Best to still have one of those portable gun safes bolted into your trunk, or inside the console where it doesn't show if you feel the need to leave it in your car on a regular basis. I have an SUV, so I picked up a sport safe with a separate base plate that can be bolted down, so that the safe can be used in more than vehicle, or you can have one base in the car, and one at your home if you want, that way you only need one safe.

...I learned that it does not need to be unloaded, only locked in a secure container like your trunk.

PLEASE stop posting information based on such authorative sources as "I have learned that..." when the information is just plain WRONG.

MGL Chapter 140, Section 131c reads:

Section 131C. (a) No person carrying a loaded firearm under a Class A license issued under section 131 or 131F shall carry the same in a vehicle unless such firearm while carried therein is under the direct control of such person. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

Previous cases have held that leaving a gun unattended in a motor vehicle is "carrying", and the state's position is that leaving a loaded firearms unattended in a motor vehicle is a violation of 140-131C.

PLEASE stop posting information based on such authorative sources as "I have learned that..." when the information is just plain WRONG.

MGL Chapter 140, Section 131c reads:

Previous cases have held that leaving a gun unattended in a motor vehicle is "carrying", and the state's position is that leaving a loaded firearms unattended in a motor vehicle is a violation of 140-131C.

Ok, so if I am understanding you correctly, and the citation that you posted, it would need to be unloaded if not under your direct control (like locked in the trunk) - correct? If that is the case, then is it acceptable to have the mag locked in the container beside the weapon, as long as it isn't installed in the magwell? Just trying to understand correctly. And aside from the snip you took from my post, you can see that I don't recommend doing that, but haven't seen anything that spells it out in detail up to this point either.

Ok, so if I am understanding you correctly, and the citation that you posted, it would need to be unloaded if not under your direct control (like locked in the trunk) - correct? If that is the case, then is it acceptable to have the mag locked in the container beside the weapon, as long as it isn't installed in the magwell? Just trying to understand correctly. And aside from the snip you took from my post, you can see that I don't recommend doing that, but haven't seen anything that spells it out in detail up to this point either.

I am not aware of any legislative or judicial finding that causes a loaded magazine, not in a firearm, to cause the gun to be considered loaded. Note, however, that the fact that I am not aware of any such precedent is not proof it does no exist.

Details of the state position may be found at: http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopster...&b=terminalcontent&f=chsb_frb_faqs&csid=Eeops

Q: How do I transport a gun in my vehicle?

A: A person with a Class "A" LTC may transport a handgun loaded or unloaded on his person or under his direct control in the vehicle. If the handgun is not under his direct control, it must be unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container.

A person with a Class "B" LTC must transport handguns unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container. All persons transporting large capacity rifles and shotguns must transport them unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container. Trigger locks do not meet the requirements of securing a weapon during transport in motor vehicle.

For more specific information see M.G.L. c. 140, §131C.

I didn't intend for the snip to be taken personally, however, I take gun rights seriously and I try to respond in a way that stands out a bit when I see a post that contains information that could cause an individual to engage in a course of action that would place them in unknowing violation of MA gun laws (no matter how silly the particular law may be). It may be a bit of the Scriv in me, but getting accurate info out in a way that is noticed and understood is much higher on my priority list than being gentle in my presentation.

I also respectfully suggest that assertions as to matters of law are best presented with reference to the specific law or court decision rather than vague sources. Tracking down the statute or case for presentation in a post will more likely that not lead to a correct answer, even if you start your quest searching for confirmation of something you have heard, but which is not actually law.

Last edited:
That could also happen if someone breaks into your house.

Store them the way the law says they need to be stored, and don't give people an excuse to break into your car, and use common sense. Don't leave a gun inside a car in a shitty neighborhood.

Agreed...but if your firearm is stolen from your house or car isn't the scenario that I outlined more than likely to occur?

Can I store a gun in my car while at work?

[momvoice] I don't know, CAN you? [/momvoice]

Last edited:
Agreed...but if your firearm is stolen from your house or car isn't the scenario that I outlined more than likely to occur?

I guess that depends on the LEO. I would not take your license away if I thought that the way you store the gun was meeting the legal requirements, but I am not in charge.

Anyways, just leave your gun at home and you are all set.

I do not carry or store any of my guns in my car at work because I work on a military base. I drive a Jeep and don't have a trunk. I do however have an under-the-seat safe specifically made for my vehicle. Nobody has to know anything.

Attachments

• 380seat.jpg
    380seat.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 99
I do not carry or store any of my guns in my car at work because I work on a military base. I drive a Jeep and don't have a trunk. I do however have an under-the-seat safe specifically made for my vehicle. Nobody has to know anything.

but now we all know. lol

OK, thread resurrection time.....

I have seen some people talking about states passing laws that will not allow employers to prohibit you from leaving a firearm in your car, provided you're following proper (legal) storage procedures. Does anyone know if there are such laws in NH? Company policy prohibits carrying for me, but there are several of us who shoot, and some who carry(outside of work), and I'm wondering what legal standing I have if my employer starts asking questions (e.g. "do you keep a gun in your truck?) I would prefer to keep it to myself, but if the question is asked, I don't want to be untruthful.

What say the great informed masses at NES?

I have seen some people talking about states passing laws that will not allow employers to prohibit you from leaving a firearm in your car, provided you're following proper (legal) storage procedures. Does anyone know if there are such laws in NH? Company policy prohibits carrying for me, but there are several of us who shoot, and some who carry(outside of work), and I'm wondering what legal standing I have if my employer starts asking questions (e.g. "do you keep a gun in your truck?) I would prefer to keep it to myself, but if the question is asked, I don't want to be untruthful.

Tell them no. Unless your in a facility where they searcb incoming/outgoing personal vehicles they can EABOD.

I have seen some people talking about states passing laws that will not allow employers to prohibit you from leaving a firearm in your car, provided you're following proper (legal) storage procedures. Does anyone know if there are such laws in NH?

Not that I've ever heard of and it would seem very "non-NH" to have a law that forces an employer to allow something on their property that they don't like.

Company policy prohibits carrying for me, but there are several of us who shoot, and some who carry(outside of work), and I'm wondering what legal standing I have if my employer starts asking questions (e.g. "do you keep a gun in your truck?) I would prefer to keep it to myself, but if the question is asked, I don't want to be untruthful.

Why would they even ask? I would just tell them no.

I would just tell them no. I work for a company with the same policy (maybe even the same company as you), and I cannot imagine a scenario where they would need to search my vehicle. There was mention during orientation a decade ago that there had been issues, either with rifles in gun racks, or just idiots bragging about guns in their car. If nobody knows it's there, there will be no need for them ever to look.

If you really want to be 100% honest, I think the only other choice is to park off-site and walk in.

The above responses are pretty much what I was thinking. I like my job, but would pretty much tell 'em to MYOB if they wanted to know the answer to that question. The owners are pretty open minded, and I guess the real impetus behind this question is that I have been tossing around the idea of a push to change policy on carrying. I know "concealed is concealed", but with my body type, work clothes, and firearm selection, I can't be 110% sure of staying concealed at work. Just mulling it over at this point, thanks for the responses.....good info as usual from NES.[cheers]

well, the problem is if someone jacks ur car, and you report it missing to the cops...they might think that you were unsuitable for storing It that way. There really is no way to store it safely...they would just take the car to their chop shop, and use a torch or grinding wheel on your box

well, the problem is if someone jacks ur car, and you report it missing to the cops...they might think that you were unsuitable for storing It that way. There really is no way to store it safely...they would just take the car to their chop shop, and use a torch or grinding wheel on your box

NH doesn't have suitability.

In NH we don't deal with suitability......only liability....and I have very little concern over that, as it's a small building, with a parking lot that other departments are in view of regularly.

Last edited:
I don't know exactly what tempature is needed to cook off a live round, but I have never heard stories of ammo cooking off in Iraq while stored in a vehicle or on someones person. I remember thinking about this when I left a bunch of ammo in the truck during a mid summer range trip. I figure desert temps reach 120 all the time.

Anyone know what temps rounds cook off at?

The OP should also know that while his employer may no be able to search his vehicle, refusal would probably result in his termination.

I've been on convoys in Iraq when the temp was so hot the case of coca cola we bought in Kuwait started blowing up.......but or course the 210 rounds of .556 did not. I think it would be tough for ammo to cook off in a vehicle in New England!

Back
Top Bottom