Can I shorten my 10/22 barrel?

Is it legal to shorten my barrel on my 10/22 in NH and if so, how much will it affect accuracy? I want to make a folding stock 10/22 as concealable as possible.

Well, I have a 10/22. I would like another one. I want to leave the one I have stock because they are nice the way they are, but I would like to trick one out to throw under my back seat. I was planning a 50 round clip and a cheap folding stock unless someone recommends a better one and I have inherited a red dot scope from my dad that he had used on two hunting rifles. I have been wondering how small you could make one and still be legal in NH and still be accurate. I am a happy person. I don't intend on shooting people with it. In fact, I don't even carry a handgun, I find pepper spray suits my purpose just fine.

breechface when the bolt is closed to the end of the barrel.

I would not cut the barrel yourself, you will ruin the rifling and crown

So there is something about the way the rifling ends that would be hard to duplicate?

in all honesty your dont need to keep a 22 rifle in your truck non the less under your seat. Second of all saying what you said one your very first post is a little worrying. Take a look at it if you are one of us. I would not cut down the gun. 22's are not tactical guns. Why do you want to cut it? considering currect events right now. this is a little sketchy.

Yes, you can cut the barrel down. It should be removed and turned on a lathe then recrowned for best results.

You must file a BATFE form 1, with two fingerprint cards and two pictures, a citizenship declaration form and have the forms signed by your chief law enforcement officer where you live, and a check or money order made out to the BATFE for $200.00. then wait for the form to be approved BEFORE you do the work on the gun.

Shortening any rifle barrel will change the accuracy, it is not very predictable as to how much. It's kind of like asking "If I go out in the rain, how wet will I get?"

in all honesty your dont need to keep a 22 rifle in your truck non the less under your seat. Second of all saying what you said one your very first post is a little worrying. Take a look at it if you are one of us. I would not cut down the gun. 22's are not tactical guns. Why do you want to cut it? considering currect events right now. this is a little sketchy.

I think your going a little overboard. There are kits available to make 10/22's tactical guns. Granted I am not on this board every day, but I am quite shocked that someone who shoots would tell me what I do need and don't need to do with a 22. I don't see where my original question was out of line, or even send up a red flag. What I do with my guns as a very responsible citizen is my business, and I think posting a question on a shooting forum about the legality of gunsmithing a barrel should not be seen as politically incorrect. I even stated that I don't personally keep weapons for personal protection, but I would never critisize someone who does. I like 22's. I'm on a shooting board. Lighten up.

Yes, you can cut the barrel down. It should be removed and turned on a lathe then recrowned for best results.

You must file a BATFE form 1, with two fingerprint cards and two pictures, a citizenship declaration form and have the forms signed by your chief law enforcement officer where you live, and a check or money order made out to the BATFE for $200.00. then wait for the form to be approved BEFORE you do the work on the gun.

Shortening any rifle barrel will change the accuracy, it is not very predictable as to how much. It's kind of like asking "If I go out in the rain, how wet will I get?"

Buy a factory legal barrel. Don't try to cut one down.

Thanks Guys! That is just the info I was looking for.

Cutting down a barrel is no big deal. Just have someone who's competent and done it before do the job. It shouldn't cost more than $35.00-$45.00.

16" is the legal NFA limit, but it's advisable to shorten it to no less than 16 1/8" - 16 1/4" just so you have a bit of a fudge factor.

If you plan on going with cutting the barrel down... shop around on http://www.gunbroker.com for a factory barrel that was swaped out and replaced by the owner for an aftermarket barrel.

Keep your factory barrel as is in the event you decide you don't like the 16" one (at least you'll have two different barrel lengths to play around with and switch back and forth as you see fit). Changing a 10/22 barrel is a snap.

Does anyone know the legal implications of buying a pistol and putting a folding stock on it? Like putting a cheap 10/22 folder on the new charger pistol?
354L.jpg

10/22

I am pretty sure once you add a stock that comes from a rifle you have to register your pistol as a long arm. I would check with your local gun shop first before doing this. Maybe some one else on here could correct me if am wrong. I know there is a product out there that you can attach to glocks, like a folding stock and or fixed stock. I heard that for at least glocks the gun must be registered as a long arm. but as i said before check with some other people or your local gun store first.

Check a reliable source.

I am pretty sure (snip) I heard (snip) but as i said before check with some other people or your local gun store first.

Checking on legalities beforehand is a very GOOD idea.
Relying on the legal advice dispensed by someone working at the local gun store, is most definitely NOT!

Good luck and stay safe.

Michael.

The above only applies if one interprets "cut the barrel down" to mean "cut the barrel down to a length less than 16 inches".

Ken

Does anyone know the legal implications of buying a pistol and putting a folding stock on it? Like putting a cheap 10/22 folder on the new charger pistol?
354L.jpg

My apologies to the OP if I hijack here or go too far off topic. Could owning one of these pistols and a 10/22 rifle with "extra stocks" be used against you by BATFE as "constructive possession" of an illegal SBR? Wouldn't it be the same as owning full auto parts for a semi auto firearm you own even if you never use them? IANAL, but I am mildly paranoid about my freedom and this would have me worried if I didn't have a definitive legal opinion. Just a thought. [smile]

My apologies to the OP if I hijack here or go too far off topic. Could owning one of these pistols and a 10/22 rifle with "extra stocks" be used against you by BATFE as "constructive possession" of an illegal SBR? Wouldn't it be the same as owning full auto parts for a semi auto firearm you own even if you never use them? IANAL, but I am mildly paranoid about my freedom and this would have me worried if I didn't have a definitive legal opinion. Just a thought. [smile]

Could it? Of course it could. Anyone who reads reports of people prosecuted by BATFE for illegal weapons know that they're always searching eagerly for new things to decide are and always have been illegal, even things for which they issued explicit formal opinions affirming the legality only the week before.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom