Can I sell my AR-15 if I am in Massachusetts within Massachusetts privately?

You are probably better off consulting the AGO which will give you no answer after 15 minutes except ask a lawyer or ask the dealer.

In all honesty, this to me tells me it is crappy law when the AGO refuses to comment.

You are also better off not asking questions and creating a paper trail, especially if you may decide on a particular course of action.

I wouldn't let some guy at a gun show flapping his lips decide what you can do- especially if he works for mircs. Do your thing, follow the written law, let Maura amend her guidance again like the indecisive little brat she is.

I call the AG's office to find out

So I called the AG's office to get the straight answer. They told me I can transfer a weapon within Massachusetts privately as long as it was purchased prior to July 20, 2016. This can be done privately only, no dealers. Here is the page they cited to me:

http://www.mass.gov/ago/public-safety/awbe.html

And here is the section:

Application of this Enforcement Notice (individual gun owners):

The Guidance will not be applied to possession, ownership or transfer of an Assault weapon obtained prior to July 20, 2016.

The AGO reserves the right to alter or amend this guidance.

I am thinking of trading an AR15 for another AR type model. Can this be done if they are privately owned?

Cool. Get their name and document the time you called? Seems to consistent with their previous email guidance.

So I called the AG's office to get the straight answer. They told me I can transfer a weapon within Massachusetts privately as long as it was purchased prior to July 20, 2016. This can be done privately only, no dealers. Here is the page they cited to me:

And here is the section:

The Guidance will not be applied to possession, ownership or transfer of an Assault weapon obtained prior to July 20, 2016.

Thank you! I've been saying this for weeks, every time one of these threads comes up!

OP, contact your state representative and state senator, let them know about the confusion and uneasiness you are encountering regarding transferring property you legally purchased, which has now been declared "illegal".

Urge your legislators to demand clarity from the AG, the info she has on her webpage cannot be trusted as she puts all gun owners in jeopardy with the "The AGO reserves the right to alter or amend this guidance." line at the end of the page.

She's talking out of both sides of her mouth. On one hand she's saying that any "post ban" AR (among others) is an "assault weapon," which would mean it would be illegal to sell, transfer, or possess under the letter of the law. (Read it yourself: MGL Chapter 140, Section 131M.)

On the other hand she's saying "Don't worry, it's cool to ignore 131M under certain circumstances."

At the end of the day I guess it comes down to how much you think you can trust her.

Last edited:
tumblr_inline_nzfevykxev1rg0x34_500.jpg

And here is the section:

Last edited:
Of course it's not the AG that will charge you, it's a DA which are completely independent of the AG. Good luck sorting it all out.
Whatever you do get everything in writing. "I was told on the phone" isn't going to help you.

And here is the section:

If you listened to her on the GBH talk show Crap she made it clear that no one would be prosecuted pre 7/20 for possession,sale , transfer.
Remember she claims every AR/AK AW clone copy that she chooses was illegally obtained post 1998 fun law passage.
I would if I where you go to her office demand she give you the letter to proceed with private sale.
REMEMBER she said the only way to get rid of your AW was to sell it out of state or turn it in.
Now the actual laws have not changed AFAIK so technically you can do what ever the written law says. It's just a matter if you want to test the waters.

There has to be a darn good reason every dealer in MA complied over night.
Either there is a strong chance AG is correct in the laws actual definition and has been applied wrong for 20 years or there is a good chance the dealers would loose in court regardless...

Good luck.

Totally hypothetical, My delightful Maura. I see you seeing this. You look lovely tonight, how's Hillary?

Would this be "lega....

F it.
I've got some ideas. But I ain't sharing. [laugh]

Of course it's not the AG that will charge you, it's a DA which are completely independent of the AG. Good luck sorting it all out.
Whatever you do get everything in writing. "I was told on the phone" isn't going to help you.

It's been in writing for months. You just need to read the FAQ on her website and the Email her office sent to someone who asked the question (the guy that FOIA'd for that info, there is a link here somewhere).

There has to be a darn good reason every dealer in MA complied over night.
Either there is a strong chance AG is correct in the laws actual definition and has been applied wrong for 20 years or there is a good chance the dealers would loose in court regardless...

Good luck.

Two reasons that I can think of:

- Most of MA dealers are scared of their own shadow. That's why they make up laws all the time, out of thin air (just like Healey did).
- I'm convinced that if Healey ordered MSP to revoke the state licenses to sell guns/ammo from dealers who "disobeyed" her, that they would do so in a heartbeat. It's administrative with no due process, and they know that the dealers would piss their pants but not fight back in court. So they obey any memo/press conference/rumor/etc. that might impact their business.

It's been in writing for months. You just need to read the FAQ on her website and the Email her office sent to someone who asked the question (the guy that FOIA'd for that info, there is a link here somewhere).

Two reasons that I can think of:

- Most of MA dealers are scared of their own shadow. That's why they make up laws all the time, out of thin air (just like Healey did).
- I'm convinced that if Healey ordered MSP to revoke the state licenses to sell guns/ammo from dealers who "disobeyed" her, that they would do so in a heartbeat. It's administrative with no due process, and they know that the dealers would piss their pants but not fight back in court. So they obey any memo/press conference/rumor/etc. that might impact their business.

Where's Sen. Humason's bill when ya need it?

Oh yeah, it's in Rosenburg's and DeLeo's trash can <insert Dr Evil laugh here>

F it. I've got some ideas. But I ain't sharing. [laugh]
Smart man. We love to share openly on a forum like this but it's often not in our best interest. I cringe at certain posts I see because I know Maura is always watching and looking for new ideas in how to more effectively screw us. [thinking]

Back
Top Bottom