Can I carry in the woods hiking?

Just wondering if I'm allowed to carry in Ma. if I am hiking? I have a Ma.LTC class A with a restriction of taget and hunting. I do alot of hiking and would definetly feel more comfortable if I had some protection against the wild should I need it. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Just wondering if I'm allowed to carry in Ma. if I am hiking? I have a Ma.LTC class A with a restriction of taget and hunting. I do alot of hiking and would definetly feel more comfortable if I had some protection against the wild should I need it. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

are you hunting or target shooting?

that was a retorical question too BTW NO you need to be unrestricted to CCW while hiking

Last edited:
Does anyone have a reference to what law you are actually in violation in for carrying on a restricted license. I often hear it is only grounds to have your license pulled by the issuing authority, not an actual crime.

Also, it seems to be the consensus that a SPORTING restriction may include hiking/cross country skiing/snow shoeing.

IANAL, any clarification on these points would be great.

Mike

I have a sporting restriction and was told by licencing officer (at my wife's appt!) that hunting and target was for those purposes only , and with a sporting well pick your sport, running, hiking, etc. was a positive thing to hear but take with a grain of salt as every town is different!

I have a Sporting restriction on mine - thats what you get for requesting a license in Lowell I guess. Anyways - the licensing officer told me that sporting restrictions would cover me for things like hunting, fishing, hiking, camping things like that. I also read a document on CJIS which defines what firearms restrictions mean - I will see if I can find it again.

My plan would be to get a hunting license and carry it with you while you are walking in the woods - I dont believe that there is a closed hunting season on chipmunks, english starling and snapping turtles - if it should come into question - just state that you are hunting snapping turtles. (j/k) JWPaolili is a retired EPO - maybe he will chime in

Does anyone have a reference to what law you are actually in violation in for carrying on a restricted license. I often hear it is only grounds to have your license pulled by the issuing authority, not an actual crime.

MGL 140-131 said:
(a) ... A violation of a restriction imposed by the licensing authority under the provisions of this paragraph shall be cause for suspension or revocation and shall, unless otherwise provided, be punished by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000; provided, however, that the provisions of section 10 of chapter 269 shall not apply to such violation.

>snip<

(b) ... A violation of a restriction provided under this paragraph, or a restriction imposed by the licensing authority under the provisions of this paragraph, shall be cause for suspension or revocation and shall, unless otherwise provided, be punished by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000; provided, however, that the provisions of section 10 of chapter 269 shall not apply to such violation.

General Laws: CHAPTER 140, Section 131

I also read a document on CJIS which defines what firearms restrictions mean...

FYI, those are not universally accepted definitions.

They are applicable relative to NR LTCs issued by DCJIS, but non-binding upon any other Issuing Authority.

I think the key here would be to determine what "sporting" means. If there is no legal definition for sport/sporting.. than you have a lot of perfectly good reasons to carry it.

For example one could argue that the Hora Dolor is a sporting activity (it clearly is). You are training for the next event, which WILL contain a hike.

That all aside, keep it hidden and your mouth shut. Equally.. IF I RECALL correctly, open carry is permitted in Massachusetts. If you are walking down Comm Ave in Boston, it's legal but stupid. If you are in the woods, it is still perfectly legal and based on the girth of a lot of police officers, they are not going to come and find you to tell you to stop doing something perfectly legal.

There isn't one- carrying against a restriction on an LTC-A is an administrative violation, not a typical "felony" or "misdemeanor" type of crime.

That said the provision is there and if the interrogating LEO wants to be a douche and rat you out to the issuing authority, and they want to be a douche, they can can your license or impose a fine. I've never heard of anyone getting fined, though.

-Mike

I think the key here would be to determine what "sporting" means. If there is no legal definition for sport/sporting.. than you have a lot of perfectly good reasons to carry it.

Under MGL the issuing authority is allowed to define what a restriction means. EOPS/CJIS has a list and "suggested" definitions from the preselected drop down list in MIRCS, but the issuing authorities are under ZERO responsibility to adopt any of these restriction definitions verbatim as printed on that EOPS handout. So an issuing authority is free to define "Sporting" as meaning you can "Carry a handgun concealed only while wearing an Elmer Fudd style hat, and only in the woods as long as the trees still have leaves on them" .

If someone is really worked up about restrictions they need to ask their issuing authority what they mean. Some places might give the person the EOPS handout. Others might say "it means what it means" or something stupid like that.

-Mike

That's a very interesting question, which really can only be answered by the Chief of Police who put the restriction on your license. He's the only one who actually knows/interprets what your restriction means. You should ask him.

There isn't one- carrying against a restriction on an LTC-A is an administrative violation, not a typical "felony" or "misdemeanor" type of crime.

That said the provision is there and if the interrogating LEO wants to be a douche and rat you out to the issuing authority, and they want to be a douche, they can can your license or impose a fine. I've never heard of anyone getting fined, though.

-Mike

Exactly my point.

When I first got my license, it was issued with a "target only" restriction by the Watertown PD. I got a 1 hour lecture from the licensing offer of what the restriction meant, and it was downright ridiculous. I was told things like "you can only take the gun to and from the range, locked in the trunk of your car," and "you can stop on the way home from the range and grab a carton of milk from the store, but you cannot stop and have a meal in a restaurant with the guns still in your car."

Watertown PD required that you join a gun club, and he said if I was caught with a gun in my car and it didn't look like I was on my way home from the range (i.e. my range is in Woburn, I live in Watertown and I'm driving in Dedham) I would be "in trouble." I asked about things like going to another range or the gunsmith, and the issuing officer got all flustred and pissed at me.

I asked for them to provide the rules written down, and he refused. He just said "remember we had this conversation, because I will."

Thanks G*d I moved to a green town.

I get a hunting lic every year.I go camping and hike also.Many times hunting and hikeing together.I think with a hunting lic. you will be ok.

This is only legit if carrying an appropriate firearm during an appropriate season in an appropriate zone of the state AND excludes Sundays.
So... sign up for one of the infamously crowded hunting classes, get your license, pay your extra fee for a hunting license, and then you can carry certain handguns in certain parts of the state for ~4-6 months per year.
Doesnt sound worth it to me!

I always bring my hunting license - porcupines and red squirrels (and some other critters) can be hunted year-round (except during shotgun deer season or on Sundays).

That's a very interesting question, which really can only be answered by the Chief of Police who put the restriction on your license. He's the only one who actually knows/interprets what your restriction means. You should ask him.

This is precisely the problem and even the dispatcher won't know. The chief usually goes home at 4PM M-F and isn't there on weekends and holidays.

As someone who worked the street and stopped cars, I can tell you that the officer on the street will have no way to determine what YOUR chief meant by any restriction on a LTC!

Back
Top Bottom