can anyone suggest a place to refinish my AR

well, today at the range with jim and my grandfather was a good time. i even saw derek clintonus and (i think) executive (im bad with names sometimes!)

well i came home to give my AR a cleaning, i hadn't cleaned it for a while.
the finish on my rifle has always been iffy. i figured that it was refinished with some sort of paint, but i didnt think it was fragile.

so, long story short i blasted it with some brake cleaner, looked away for a second and when i looked back, well the lower was naked.

can anyone recommend a good place in the area to have this lower refinished? i remember seeing some horror stories here about stuff being refinished and massive wait times, and id like to avoid it if i can.

ar.jpg

looks good! [rofl]

Hey Dench why not strip the whole thing and chrome it out like a Harley, you're already half way there. It will definitely be one uniqe tactiuseless AR.

Last edited:
You guys are Baaad! [sad2]

dont be so hard on them, lots of helpful suggestions so far... gold... chrome... hello kitty pink with white and stickers.... blitz will even take the rifle and sexualy assault it for me.

im used to the abuse [rofl]

Last edited:
Wow, a "Sexual Assault Rifle" as opposed to an "Assault Rifle".....what additional features does Blitz's modifications add to the rifle?

Wow, I've never seen anything like that. What's the story on the lower?

And that was me with Derek and Clinotus today. Nice running into you.

Not to de-rail the thread guys but I was there today as well for about an hour at about 1245, I was shooting my 9mm on the 15yrd range. I should have flashed the sign and introduced myself.

D, definitely try John at Remsport, he should be able to get r done. Either that or get some acetone, clean it, prime it, and spray it with Krylon BBQ black.

If Lara Croft had an AR, yours would be it..[smile]

There are tons of anodizing houses out there. My company uses one in Westfield from time to time. Unfortunately most if not all do it by weight. The more weight, the less the cost (cheaper to do 300, relatively speaking, than it is to do 1). Perhaps calling around will yield some favorable results. Someone might be looking for just one more thing to dip and will take it last minuet.

squished has offered to duracoat the lower.

i would like you guys' opinions on whats a good finish and the pros and cons. i know nothing about finishing.

whats the pros/cons of duracoat?
whats the pros/cons of anodizing?

squished has offered to duracoat the lower.

i would like you guys' opinions on whats a good finish and the pros and cons. i know nothing about finishing.

whats the pros/cons of duracoat?
whats the pros/cons of anodizing?

anodizing is better but at the cost, it may be costly enough that you may as well buy another lower. Duracoat is fine for that part. You may get mag well wear but I doubt anything else would wear off the finish.

And as an added bonus, tell squished he can use my stove (my GF never uses it...) and the three of us can hang by the pool while it bakes. He knows where the house is. You, you get blindfolded before coming... You'll be taking apart my barn as a joke if I let you know where I lived. [rofl]

And as an added bonus, tell squished he can use my stove (my GF never uses it...) and the three of us can hang by the pool while it bakes. He knows where the house is. You, you get blindfolded before coming... You'll be taking apart my barn as a joke if I let you know where I lived. [rofl]

ill just ask jack where you live! [rofl]
ill take you up on that by the way... think we could pull it off this week?
squished says he has OD green duracoat, and thats fine with me for a color. i dont really put to much emphasis on color as long as it sorta blends into the rest of the rifle. i use the thing its not a safe queen!

Anodizing (aka hardcoating) is a molecular process.
Duracoat is really really good paint. Think epoxy paint.

In layman's terms, anodizing actually hardens the outside of the Al and adds a thin uniform layer of hardened oxide on top. One could anodize then Duracoat for ultimate wear resistance.

For simplicity and ease of getting your AR back on the range, Duracoat now and worry about doing something better IF the paint it comes off.

And for gods sake, stay away from the brake cleaner! [smile]

I'm still scratching my head on HOW the finish came off! Was the lower stripped then painted or molested in some way prior to you 'cleaning' it?

EDIT: woops, re-read the first post. Ignore the above statement.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom