• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can an employer tell you that you can’t bring a firearm to work?

As stated it's their property so their rules. Have the same thing where I am. No firearms on the property. My boss is very pro 2A but he is not the owner of the company. Even guys above him are pro 2A but same deal. Told us he doesn't care if we keep guns in our cars but we should park off the property. I don't believe they would ever go looking around for guns in peoples cars on the property but if it were seen by someone it could mean the loss of employment.

Can an employer enforce this if you have ltc? Is there a way to overturn their policy?
In some states the right to have a gun in your personal vehicle is protected by law. MA is not one of those states. FL and TX are. Not sure about the other 47.

The chances of overturning a policy, or fighting termination based on gun possession are virtually non-existent, though you can be certain that any Fortune 500 size company exempts certain high level people or their minions from the ban. I'd bet there is no ammo shortage near Bezos, Zuckerberg or Gates. It is always cheaper to replace an employee killed by criminal when on the job than deal with an employee killing or injuring someone who is just turning their life around, doubly so if the shooting crosses racial lines.

The best one could hope to pull off is not having an unemployment claim denied due to firing for proper cause.

Being unarmed is one of the things you are getting paid for.
I guess you can leave it securely locked in a secured lock box in your car but I’d worry about summer temps and ammo....?
Some companies have policies that any gun, anywhere on company property or at a company sponsored event, is grounds for termination.

The real risk is theft from the car, reporting it to the PD, and getting the employer involved. Just put the barrel or bolt carrier in your pocket so that in the event of a theft you report "gun parts" rather than a "gun" being stolen.

Last edited:
Your rights are protected from the government. You don't have a right to work for that company. That company has the privilege of setting policies for both customers and employees, within the law. If you don't like the policy, you can leave.
Love you man but that almost made me choke on my coffee. lol 😂

My company has a no weapons policy. If we are caught violating it then it's immediate dismissal.

But then in their security videos when they talk about an active shooter situation they say to look for a weapon.

Well, if I was allowed to carry my gun I could save a heck of a lot of time looking for a weapon.

You ever see that Seinfeld episode where George is at a party over his girlfriends apartment and something in the oven burns and they think it's a fire. George tramples women and children to get out of the apartment.

That is me in an active shooter situation at my anti 2A workplace. Senior execs and the BOD can stay behind and clean up the bodies.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC91reeH4Ls

MA is an at-will state which means they can fire you for any reason or NO reason. They can fire you for carrying or for not carrying, for owning guns or not owning guns, for owning a 40 or not owning a 40. Get it?

MA is an at-will state which means they can fire you for any reason or NO reason. They can fire you for carrying or for not carrying, for owning guns or not owning guns, for owning a 40 or not owning a 40. Get it?

You cannot fire an employee in for owning a .40. You cannot fire anyone based on sexual preference.

Sounds good, what kind of industry if you don't mind me asking? That beats the nothing burger I got for a Christmas bonus last year.
I own my own business, lol. Got my office manager a Bodyguard for Xmas a couple of years ago. She's petite, had a P238, loved to shoot it but didn't like carrying cocked & locked in a belly band so we tried out a BG and she loved it so I got her one (plus accessories), carries it all the time. And she has keys to my house, alarm code, safe combinations & knows what do do if something happens to me. I also give my employees a cash bonus at Xmas every year too.

My company has a strict no weapons policy front and center in their employee handbook. If caught with one it’s an immediate reason for termination. Employees are required to state they’ve read the employee handbook every year. If you don’t want to sign saying they’ve read it, we’ll that is reason for termination as well.

Gee, I DID get a nice little unexpected bonus at Christmas time last year. I'm not sure if it was because I carry at work or because I value firearms that people are looking to trade towards a deposit a couple of times a month. Either way, I'm a happy camper. I hope you land somewhere that you are similarly pleased.

I own my own business, lol. Got my office manager a Bodyguard for Xmas a couple of years ago. She's petite, had a P238, loved to shoot it but didn't like carrying cocked & locked in a belly band so we tried out a BG and she loved it so I got her one (plus accessories), carries it all the time. And she has keys to my house, alarm code, safe combinations & knows what do do if something happens to me. I also give my employees a cash bonus at Xmas every year too.
Got it, I guess what I was getting at is are you hiring. You sound slot cooler than my boss lol

Been a while since I have read MGL
But leaving your firearms in your car becomes improper storage when you leave it unattended ?
Anyhow im sure it wont end well if your boss/business says no guns and you say yeah to bad im bringing.

Been a while since I have read MGL
But leaving your firearms in your car becomes improper storage when you leave it unattended ?
Anyhow im sure it wont end well if your boss/business says no guns and you say yeah to bad im bringing.
As long as it's locked / secured and unloaded I don't believe it's improper storage, to the best of my knowledge.

As long as it's locked / secured and unloaded I don't believe it's improper storage, to the best of my knowledge.
Correct.

Before 1998 it was considered carrying outside of your direct control and a criminal offense. It is now legal as long as the gun is locked up and unloaded (in a locked case for a long gun).

Yeah, because having the government coerce people into doing things they don't want to due is real freedom!
If it means forcing a business to recognize a natural right then yes. The bill of rights are rights that are to be guaranteed. End of story.

Back
Top Bottom