• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can a senior with cognative issues covert a LTC to "Restricted To Collecting" in order to save a gun collection?

Reptile

NES Member
Many decades from now I will likely not be so sharp.
I don't want to lose my gun collection.
Has anyone in Mass ever had the "Restricted To Collecting" applied to a LTC to maintain a collection?
If I get to 110 years old I would likely be ineffective with a home defense firearm even with ammunition.
I will likely have arthritis and not be too keen on going to the range.
I just want to keep my collection until I die.
Even within the next 30 years, I may not even go to the range much or CCW.
If that is the case - getting my LTC downgraded probably wont even matter.

The #1 rule in investing is diversification, don't keep all your eggs in one basket.
You should treat your firearms the same way. Spread them out, Don't keep them in the same place.
If you are dealing with cognitive issues, then just tell them when they come to collect them, that you forget where you put them, but you are sure that they all have trigger locks on them.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that there are many NES members of advanced age who manage to hang on to their firearms well enough.

Besides, they'll just wait til Matlock is on and confiscate them when you aren't looking.

Has anyone in Mass ever had the "Restricted To Collecting" applied to a LTC to maintain a collection?
If I get to 110 years old I would likely be ineffective with a home defense firearm even with ammunition.

Decorate the ruckus while you still have time, at least an AR on each handlebar and then put it away until you're at least 90. Same but with a hoveround chair in case keeping the license for the scooter isn't possible. If you have arthritis then get a James West style arm holster for a derringer now while there's still time. But don't worry when you get old enough to suffer from cognitive decline you will probably have lost the combination for the gun safe long before that moment of self realization.

derringer_arm.png

I doubt in 30 years the licensing system will be the same. It will go one of two ways but it will be different for sure.
Plus retiring in MA would probably be a bad call
Retiring in MA is DEFINITELY a bad call. MA DOR taxes every dollar with inheritance taxes if the total estate value is $1,000,001 or higher. I'm told that the tax rate STARTS at 16% and increases based on the value. Look on Zillow for the value of your house . . . most at least in Eastern MA are "rich" using that metric.
Well, Rep, you might want to think about going the FFL route and putting some of your goodies into your business inventory where they will be nice and warm and snuggy. That's just one option. Jack.
In MA, you still need an active LTC in order to possess the guns even with an FFL. I doubt that BATFE would issue an FFL to a MA inmate who doesn't possess a MA LTC.

Retiring in MA is DEFINITELY a bad call. MA DOR taxes every dollar with inheritance taxes if the total estate value is $1,000,001 or higher. I'm told that the tax rate STARTS at 16% and increases based on the value. Look on Zillow for the value of your house . . . most at least in Eastern MA are "rich" using that metric.

In MA, you still need an active LTC in order to possess the guns even with an FFL. I doubt that BATFE would issue an FFL to a MA inmate who doesn't possess a MA LTC.
Well, I've been in good standing with ATF for 40 years now. They have never asked to see a LTC or Green card. I'm a "Responsible person" on my NH son's FFL. He is a "responsible" person on my FFL. There are two more sons in free states that we can bring into the mix. Also their wives and grandkids when they are old enough. We can make it so complicated that it would be difficult for anyone to figure out what gun is (legally) where at any time. Then there are all the guns that are here, there and everywhere that have no paperwork trail and who's location can change at any time. You just have to be sure that the correct ammo moves with them in case the SHTF. It's just a game and there are times when you just have to bend the rules a little to win, especially in non-free states. Got all that, Maura? There may be a short quiz. Jack.

Last edited:

If you can't get out and about or remember your own name, no license will make any difference, Why buy into the Commonwealth's old "Reason for Issue", now a "Restriction" flawed line of thought? At age 110 when our brains are mush it won't ever be an issue.

delete all your posts here before you go poking the bear. for your own good of course. me, i like to keep this shit private, but as i said, that's just me. and might i suggest chewing the odd peyote button once in a while to help "see" things clearly.

Judging by the stories you post, guys in dark suits and black helicopters will have taken you away somewhere to be forgotten long before you get to be that old.

Dude you're in no better shape than me. You won't see 30 more years! I'll be lucky to make 10 more!

Back
Top Bottom