Campus Shooting - U. of N. Illinois

So I read on another news Yahoo that he stopped taking his medication and the link above says no history of mental problems. What the hell was he taking meds for then?

What the hell was he taking meds for then?

I thought the same thing. His treatment was concealed under the doctor/patient confidentiality and was never entered into any medical database. I have to think that the firearm's purchase was not legal but the dealer would have no way of knowing that fact.

This will bring another round of proposed regulations similar to the past where no one could access his medical records.

Obviously if one of us were there carrying concealed we would have done nothing.

Being in the right place at the right time has everything to do with it. That and hoping you weren't the first one hit. Unfortunately, no one had any idea this nut was going to open fire until the first rounds were let off.

Last edited:
Being in the right place at the right time has everything to do with it. That and hoping you weren't the first one hit. Unfortunately, no one had any idea this nut was going to open fire until the first rounds were let off.

Yep. And had the campus or for that matter the State allowed CCW the death toll and injury toll could have been a lot lower.

How did he get across campus and into the classroom with a couple of guns. He couldn't have been carrying them in a concealed fashion since CCW is illegal in IL. They must have been unloaded in locked cases, but then again it was a gun free zone so he must have been holding what looked like a gun and was throwing rocks.

But wait, isn't MURDER illegal? Hmmm that didn't stop him either.

These whack jobs always get it wrong. They should start with themselves first.

Oh, and not to hijack the thread, but Derek - could you ban the dancing bananas too!

Yep. And had the campus or for that matter the State allowed CCW the death toll and injury toll could have been a lot lower.

Maybe and maybe not. It's the luck of the drawer. The only thing you can say for sure is that having a firearm in your possession will make your chances of survival somewhat better. Stopping someone from inexplicably shooting others at random is virtually impossible to stop. Past shootings of Presidents and other high level political figures has shown that many times.

It also goes beyond just being permitted to CCW on campus. I don't know of any places that allow you to CCW under 21 and since most college students graduate at the ripe old age of 22, realistically you're looking at only Seniors, Grad students, and faculty that could be armed (unless you allow the carrying of rifles), and at that what percent would?

Any state, city, school, business etc. that denies you the ability to defend yourself should be held liable for your safety. And any politician who knowingly and willfully violates The Constitution should be charged with Perjury and/or Treason for violating their oath of office.

How did he get across campus and into the classroom with a couple of guns. He couldn't have been carrying them in a concealed fashion since CCW is illegal in IL

He only carried a 9mm and the Remington shotgun. In the winter both could easily be concealed under a coat. As far as the law, he knew he was going to die. I don't think he spent much time fretting over a charge of Possession of a Firearm.

As far as a medical condition, the only thing said to date was that he was diabetic. Having your sugar levels go out of range can cause some effects but that type of result....tend to doubt it...

Law enforcement authorities told ABC News that Kazmierczak bought two weapons on Saturday at a gun store in Champaign, Ill., a Remington 12 gauge shotgun and Glock 9mm pistol. From the same firearms dealer, he obtained a Highpoint 380 pistol on Dec.30, 3007 and Sig Sauer 9 mm pistol on August 6.

Kazmierczak had no police record, allowing him to qualify to buy the guns under the state's gun laws, sources said.

The article said he carried the shotgun in a guitar case.

Did anyone hear Michelle McFee on the radio last night? I actually tried to call in. She said "He took a shotgun and started shooting people." In the next breath, she said we need to bring up the discussion of gun control, and nobody is out to take hunting rifles, but people like this should not be walking around with Uzi's. [angry][angry][rolleyes]

gun talk on radio right now WTKK 96.9

Last edited:
Did anyone hear Michelle McFee on the radio last night? I actually tried to call in. She said "He took a shotgun and started shooting people." In the next breath, she said we need to bring up the discussion of gun control, and nobody is out to take hunting rifles, but people like this should not be walking around with Uzi's. [angry][angry][rolleyes]gun talk on radio right now WTKK 96.9

Yeah I heard it... I was SO MAD...her whole thing of "we're not talking about taking away your right to own guns in your home" I was like WHAT where does the 2nd A say "In your home"

Michael Graham was talking about it on WTKK tonight while I was making dinner... it was tough trying to cook when I was laughing so hard. He was REALLY dishing it out to the "loony lefties", as he calls them.

NRA Life Member

I did it. They got my $300 to help protect our rights. Next pay I'll join GOAL for three years & after that extend my membership on NE shooters for a couple more years.
SMITTY

Medication for what?

Yup! I am still trying to find out what meds the guy was on and why the fixation with the criminal justice study. Sounds so far like he was under the care of a phyc and the meds and problems are being buried in doctor patient laws.[thinking]

It also goes beyond just being permitted to CCW on campus. I don't know of any places that allow you to CCW under 21 and since most college students graduate at the ripe old age of 22, realistically you're looking at only Seniors, Grad students, and faculty that could be armed (unless you allow the carrying of rifles), and at that what percent would?

Any state, city, school, business etc. that denies you the ability to defend yourself should be held liable for your safety. And any politician who knowingly and willfully violates The Constitution should be charged with Perjury and/or Treason for violating their oath of office.

Maine and I think New Hampshire and Vermont. I've had a Maine carry permit sence I was 18. I could carry the gun I couldn't buy or get ammo for!

One of the posters above hit the nail squarely on its head:

quote: "But wait, isn't MURDER illegal? Hmmm that didn't stop him either." unquote

It is truly amazing that literally every commentator fails to realize that one fact: Murder, using any instrument including your hands, a howitzer, an SUV or a 100 year old .22 is illegal, period, end of discussion.

Had that whack-job not had access to firearms, would he have changed his mind and stayed a "good boy"? I doubt it. He would have made a match-stick bomb with nails and lobbed it into the crowd or a Molotov cocktail from the bottle of Old Granddad he consumed the night before. He could have hidden a machete in his case and started whacking away at the kids who would be tripping over each other to get away. Heck, he could have waited until the class was dismissed and driven a hybrid SUV into the crowd, quietly mowing them down until he stalled the thing. Chances are good he could have killed or maimed a lot more people. The tool, notwithstanding, he was a murderer with a mission and ready to die for it, too.

That fact is he was a murderer and what ever "tool" he used is besides the point. But, if the students were allowed to have their pistol of choice in their belts, that murderer would have at least had to deal with one of them. It's so rudimentary that it hurts my head just thinking about this. Whack-job murderers will do what they must to accomplish their task. Firearms are just one tool in their arsenal.

I've used this argument with other anti-gunners and it's usually an eyeopener to any of them with a brain in their heads. Just keep bringing that point home regardless of what they say: Murder is an illegal act, period. How you accomplish it is secondary and, frankly, a pointless discussion.

There was a very recent murder in NYC where a patient calmly carried a knife into the psychologists office where he stabbed the doctor to death. Would that doctor be any less dead if he had been shot with a gun or clubed over his head with a paperweight?

All the laws ever written and that will be written will never, ever stop a murderer from his task at hand. This is why I began to carry 9 years ago. God forbid the day should ever come when the skills I've earned should have to come into play.

Rome

Its the meds, stupid

I'm convinced it's all about the meds that are thrust upon kids at an early age. The schools would rather dope the kids up than deal with what they feel are "problem" kids..you know, the ones that wont sit still or talk out of turn in class. [thinking]

It's a nasty cycle. Teacher wont discipline because they are afraid of being sued. Kids with no discipline will behave like kids with no discipline, and get labeled as "problem" kids with ADD or ADHD. Doctors are more than happy to prescribe meds, and the kids become addicted in middle school. Teachers love it because the kids are zombies and their jobs are easier.

And when someone decides to go off their meds, well.....

Columbine, VT and this one were all done by kids on meds.

I know I am preaching to the choir here, but when the f%*& are our "public servants" going to wake the f&#% up? How many more tragedies like this are going to have to happen before something is set in place that will actually going to address the real problem. When did we become a society of lay-down pussies anyway? The criminals need help, lets take it easy on them. Let's make the life of every hard working, law abiding citizen harder. Here in RI the governor wants to release people from prison to cut the budget. We don't need more laws, or more restrictions on our liberties. We need to enforce existing laws, and hold people accountable if they can't hold up to their end of the deal. This s$*@ just sickens me, as it most likely sickens you all as well.

DEKALB, Ill. - What people initially told police about the Northern Illinois University shooter — a portrait of a happy, stable young man who was a bright, helpful scholar — didn't add up.

Now investigators searching for what triggered Thursday's bloody attack, in which five students were killed and several injured before Steven Phillip Kazmierczak committed suicide, are finding some unsettling details.

He had spent time in a mental health center, had disturbing tattoos covering his arms and had developed a recent interest in guns.

I know I am preaching to the choir here, but when the f%*& are our "public servants" going to wake the f&#% up? How many more tragedies like this are going to have to happen before something is set in place that will actually going to address the real problem. When did we become a society of lay-down pussies anyway? The criminals need help, lets take it easy on them. Let's make the life of every hard working, law abiding citizen harder. Here in RI the governor wants to release people from prison to cut the budget. We don't need more laws, or more restrictions on our liberties. We need to enforce existing laws, and hold people accountable if they can't hold up to their end of the deal. This s$*@ just sickens me, as it most likely sickens you all as well.

As that didn't describe either shooter involved in the recent incidents, what's your point?

Back
Top Bottom