• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Call Governor Baker's Office ASAP Ask For VETO

Mike S

NES Member
From GOAL

There’s Still Time To Stop The Budget!

Take Action!

Please contact Governor Baker’s office immediately at 617-725-4005 and urge him to line item veto the gun measure provision out of H.4008!

617-725-4005

Yesterday, the Massachusetts state House of Representatives and Senate approved the conference committee report, reconciling differences between the appropriations bills that contained language banning bump fire stocks and trigger cranks. This piece of legislation, H.4008, will now go to Governor Charlie Baker’s desk for approval. It is imperative that Governor Baker line item veto the gun measure out of the H.4008.

Under this provision, a “Bump Stock” is defined as a device for a semiautomatic firearm that increases the rate of fire achievable with such firearm by using energy from the recoil of the firearm to generate a reciprocating action that facilitates repeated activation of the trigger. A “Trigger Crank” is defined as any device to be attached to a semi-automatic firearm that repeatedly activates the trigger of the firearm through the use of a lever or other part that is turned in a circular motion, but does not include any firearm initially designed and manufactured to fire through the use of a crank or lever.

The provision passed by the legislature yesterday allows for excessive punishment including life imprisonment, with a minimum sentence of 18 months, for the mere possession of these accessories. To make matters worse, the legislation was passed leaving no pathway to legal ownership. It also makes it illegal for owners of these items to legally sell them!

Finally, the entire process around this legislation was a fiasco, the public had no say in this legislation and the legislature provided no transparency. For this reason alone Governor Baker should veto this item as it sets a dangerous precedent going forward.

Again, please contact Governor Baker’s office 617-725-4005 and urge him to line item veto this provision. Governor Baker has always claimed to be pro Second Amendment, now is the time for him to prove it.

Called, spoke to an intern, took the message.
If you ask me, I (and my message) was like talking to a brick wall.

I'm not trying to be an a--hole here but didn't they have meetings that nobody attended? I thought there was a thread about it. Maybe I'm confusing this with something else.....

Anyway, I will call and do my part but Baker will not veto this. He agrees with it.

I'm not trying to be an a--hole here but didn't they have meetings that nobody attended? I thought there was a thread about it. Maybe I'm confusing this with something else.....

Anyway, I will call and do my part but Baker will not veto this. He agrees with it.

Yes, the cart in front of the horse meeting, which was purely for show. That's not how "due process" works.

Every VETO by Tall Deval has been over-ridden. The amount of Republicans at the State House wouldn't fill a mini-van. Massachusetts has long crossed into Leftist Madness. Our 2A rights will depend on Federal Courts and the SCOTUS.

Baker is in California, Polito is going to sign it

I am not a law scholar but AFAIK, the Lt. Government cannot sign anything as long as the Governor is live and kicking, so there may be a delay in signing this, but it has to be him, is it not? Just like VP Pence cannot sign Bills just because POTUS is on the golf course.

I am not a law scholar but AFAIK, the Lt. Government cannot sign anything as long as the Governor is live and kicking, so there may be a delay in signing this, but it has to be him, is it not? Just like VP Pence cannot sign Bills just because POTUS is on the golf course.

She can sign it, and most likely will.

In the absence of the sitting Governor, the Lt. Governor is the acting chief.

In the absence of the sitting Governor, the Lt. Governor is the acting chief.

"Absence" due to death, illness, incapacity...to the best of my understanding. This is not a 'crisis' situation that requires Lt.'s intervention as in "The governor is out of the country, we have a natural disaster that require mobilization of the N.G., so the Lt. is intervening".
Again, I may be wrong on this.

Why are these alerts and calls for action not front-page NES articles??? Not everyone is watching these threads.

The meeting was held after the vote. Total show trial.

"Absence" due to death, illness, incapacity...to the best of my understanding. This is not a 'crisis' situation that requires Lt.'s intervention as in "The governor is out of the country, we have a natural disaster that require mobilization of the N.G., so the Lt. is intervening".
Again, I may be wrong on this.

Learn something new every day:
The lieutenant governor serves in place of the governor when he is outside the borders of Massachusetts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lieutenant_Governor_of_Massachusetts

Text of Article III: Whenever the chair of the governor shall be vacant, by reason of his death, or absence from the commonwealth, or otherwise, the lieutenant governor, for the time being, shall, during such vacancy, perform all the duties incumbent upon the governor, and shall have and exercise all the powers and authorities, which by this constitution the governor is vested with, when personally present.[SUP][1][/SUP]

https://ballotpedia.org/Chapter_2,_Massachusetts_Constitution#Section_2

Last edited:
So did the vague language remain in the bill where they can use it to ban trigger jobs and/or other modifications or did that get vetted out?

Yes but you now have no path to legal ownership if you already have one, can’t legally sell it if you do(leaving your only option to turn it in to police of destroy it) and potentially are facing life in prison if you don’t get rid of it.

yeah, they had a post meeting when it was all hashed out, with less than 24h notice on a work day during biz hours. ****ing kangaroo court.

Done - spoke with a nice monotone drone - biggest issue now is now way to be legal, so let’s say I own a bump stick, and do nothing. I become a felon and there is no way out of it - almost like owning a post 94’ AR.

As others have said, if something were to happen in Mass with pre-ban mags associated - they will go the same way as bump stocks - illegal with no way to keep them and jail if you do and get caught.

Last edited:
don't think it will help in this state they do what they want. they answer to no one. but I made the call anyways.

Yes but you now have no path to legal ownership if you already have one, can’t legally sell it if you do(leaving your only option to turn it in to police of destroy it) and potentially are facing life in prison if you don’t get rid of it.
No, the vague language didn't go through. But it is correct that the only path to ownership is an MG license.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom