• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

California's "High Capacity" Magazine Ban Overturned!

I predicted a couple weeks ago that Benitez had the second case completed, and was going to jam it up the 9th circuitā€™s ass along with the magazine ban case.

šŸÆ
He didnā€™t really jam anything though, it still took a good amount of time after Duncan was released before this came out, and he still stayed his order for 10 days to give CA time to appeal. If he really want to jam it, he would have pulled another Freedom Week.

The stay was a given, California appealing is a given, the 9th circuit extending the stay is also going to be a given. And my guess is it is also a given that ultimately this all returns to SCOTUS with ridiculous references to inappropriate historical precedent and new attempts at interest balancing, which will be countered by Benitezā€™s thorough ruling.

šŸÆ

At this point, if SCOTUS lifts the stay, CA will have a "freedom year" or whatever time it will take for an appeal to wind its way through the appeals court. It also means SCOTUS will "nudge" the appeals court to use proper analysis when reviewing the case.
If SCOTUS does not lift the stay, they will most likely move to review the case themselves at which point there will be a clear difference of opinions between various districts and SCOTUS will put a smack down all these stupid bans.
Still waiting...

Necro much?
This is still an active issue in the 9th. I believe the 9th heard it enbanc and stayed the order (basically making mags over 10 rounds prohibited again).

This will likely go back to scotus who (IMO) will rightly ask them what part of GVR they did not understand. I have to wonder if the 9th is stalling hoping for a change in the court and daring them to overrule them.

This from courthouse News:
ā€œThereā€™s no serious engagement with the Second Amendmentā€™s text,ā€ Bumatay writes about the majorityā€™s decision. ā€œNo grappling with historical analogues. No putting California to its burden of proving the constitutionality of its law. All we get is a summary order, even after the Supreme Court directly ordered us to apply Bruen to this very case. The Constitution and Californians deserve better.ā€

In a dissent almost six times longer than the decision, Bumatay said the majority has again treated the Second Amendment as inferior to the others. The appeals court on multiple occasions has allowed violations to Californiansā€™ right to bear arms, and did it again on Tuesday when it failed to properly examine the caseā€™s merits, he wrote.

ā€œEnough should be enough,ā€ Bumatay wrote.

Back
Top Bottom