C&R just arrived

Idoktr

NES Member
I just received my 03FFL C&R. The fun begins ! Any suggestions for first steps are appreciated. Wisea## comments are not appreciated......

Stewart

I would proceed in this order:

1) Setup dealer accounts with Brownells and Midway.
2) Setup a Gun Broker account
3) Scour the internet and purchase C&Rs until your wallet is empty [smile]

I think you need to buy a bound book. That's a first good step.

Oops, was that a wise a$$ comment?

Congrats, how long did it take? I'm still waiting on mine and I'm going to follow this thread for non wise-a$$ comments/suggestions.

Google curio and relic bound book, you'll find some model pages you can print out and put in a cheap three ring binder. No need to buy a fancy book (unless you want to).

The dealer discounts are great!

Mosin, Mauser, K-31, Tokarev.... those were my first four. All highly recommended.

Have fun.

- - - Updated - - -

What is a C&R and what does it allow you to do?

Buy qualifying firearms (generally, stuff over 50 years old...and a few others) directly from dealers or other sellers. Have them shipped to your door. Get discounts at Brownells, Midway, etc. Best $30 you'll ever spend.

Oh and get some mineral spirits too. You're about to become intimate with cosmoline....

Pick a caliber, or country or conflict and go nuts. Or maybe you want to focus on WWI or WWII. Maybe start with 7.62x54 and get a mosin, then a finn mosin, then svt40. Then move on to 8mm - mausers all over the place, hakim, FN49. Then move over to 303brit.... and so on.

@ idoktr and glockstar

I just mailed out my app the other day. How long did it take for yours to come in?

If you buy a C&R gun in MA you have to do a FA-10....n if you buy a C&R gun out of state and either pick it up or have it shipped to you, you still need to do an FA-10....Do them ASAP

I just received my 03FFL C&R. The fun begins ! Any suggestions for first steps are appreciated. Wisea## comments are not appreciated......

Stewart

I just received mine today as well! And thanks for all the help!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Stewart

1 Buy a newer bigger safe with a bound book to go in it.
2 Contact all the online stores to be put on file for dealer pricing.
3 Set up a gun broker account.
4 Start rehearsing the speech of (I got it for half price because I have a special license and its a good investment) If you're married of course.
5 Get your pin number ready.
6 Go nuts. [devil2]

Big hint for collectors with "significant others": All wood and steel milsurp rifles look the same when you have them broken down for cleaning. Make sure the SO only sees your latest purchase when it is disassembled. When you're asked why you're "cleaning that rifle again" just explain that they get rusty really fast, and to maintain the value you need to work on them constantly.

This technique gets iffy, though, after buying all the additional safes you need to hold them all....

ETA: Learn to appreciate wisea** comments - they make things more fun.

Last edited:
What to do with your original FFL

Suggestions for the newbie:

- Make many copies of the original on a color copier and put in a folder on your work bench
- Put the original (unsigned) in a cheap picture frame over your safe or work bench.
- Put a copy in your wallet (you never can tell when you will run across a bargain) (if your wallet is full of $ you only need the top half of the FFL.
- Put a copy in an envelope in your suitcase or travel bag (you now can buy out of state).

Good luck

Suggestions for the newbie:

- Make many copies of the original on a color copier and put in a folder on your work bench
- Put the original (unsigned) in a cheap picture frame over your safe or work bench.
- Put a copy in your wallet (you never can tell when you will run across a bargain) (if your wallet is full of $ you only need the top half of the FFL.
- Put a copy in an envelope in your suitcase or travel bag (you now can buy out of state).

Good luck

Also, save a copy as a pdf in your phone or computer.

I bought the "bound book" pages from Brownells and put them in a three ring binder.

If you are in MA and you buy a C&R from someone in MA, you must complete both sections of the FA-10 and log all the info in your bound book.
If you buy a C&R from outside of MA, you only complete your portion of the FA-10 and check off "registration". Do not complete the out of state seller's info.
In your bound book, you log the seller's info.
On that note, never ever post which dealers ship to MA, but yes, you can legally have firearms shipped to your door with a C&R.

The reason why you don't want to sign the original is due to the fact that most dealers and suppliers want an actual ink signature copy mailed to them. They accept a photocopy with an ink signature but will not accept a photcopy of a signature. Once you sign your original, you are screwed so don't do it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom