• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

C&R 03

Not until you have the license in hand. DO NOT SIGN & DATE the original license. Make copies and sign and date when you send to someone or have a copy with you when you think you might buy something, then sign and date. It won't be long until you get the packet.
Get a bound book so you will be legal on any transaction. I keep mine in the safe. Welcome to the "club"

Not until you have the license in hand. DO NOT SIGN & DATE the original license. Make copies and sign and date when you send to someone or have a copy with you when you think you might buy something, then sign and date. It won't be long until you get the packet.
Get a bound book so you will be legal on any transaction. I keep mine in the safe. Welcome to the "club"
Ok, I'll be the clueless person who asks. Why shouldn't you sign & date the original?

Because you only get one, You make copies that need and original signature and date, and pass on.
As opposed to copying the pre-signed/dated original and sending that? Or do the people receiving it demand an original date/signature on their copies? I'm not trying to be difficult, just used to things that you're supposed to sign as soon as possible.

Each copy you send when purchasing a C&R item has to be signed and dated on the date of the transfer of that firearm. If you sign and date the original it will then not be valid to send to the FFLs that you are purchasing the item from a year or two from now.

I'm relatively new to the 03 world myself and was poking around last night and saw some requirements to include all C&R guns you buy or sell in your bound book regardless of whether you actually acquired them under the license. That was surprising (to me) and something that I bet people screw up pretty regularly. Said another way, spend a few minutes learning the rules before diving in.

I'm relatively new to the 03 world myself and was poking around last night and saw some requirements to include all C&R guns you buy or sell in your bound book regardless of whether you actually acquired them under the license. That was surprising (to me) and something that I bet people screw up pretty regularly. Said another way, spend a few minutes learning the rules before diving in.
My understanding is that this only applies to objects acquired after you get the 03, right? IE, you don't have to add the Mosin you bought in '99 if you waited until today to get the C&R?

My understanding is that this only applies to objects acquired after you get the 03, right? IE, you don't have to add the Mosin you bought in '99 if you waited until today to get the C&R?

I think so, but if you ever sell that Mosin I think it then needs to be logged. I’m definitely not an expert though.

Aren't all books bound? Otherwise, they're just a stack of paper.

Edit: Here's the ATF explanation.
The firearms acquisition and disposition (A&D) record, also known as a “bound book”, is a permanently bound book or an orderly arrangement of loose-leaf pages which must be maintained at the business premises. The format must follow that prescribed in the regulations and the pages must be numbered consecutively.

[18 U.S.C. 923(g)(1)(A); 27 CFR 478.121 and

Aren't all books bound? Otherwise, they're just a stack of paper.

Edit: Here's the ATF explanation.
The firearms acquisition and disposition (A&D) record, also known as a “bound book”, is a permanently bound book or an orderly arrangement of loose-leaf pages which must be maintained at the business premises. The format must follow that prescribed in the regulations and the pages must be numbered consecutively.

[18 U.S.C. 923(g)(1)(A); 27 CFR 478.121 and

Yeah. I just used a narrow three-ring binder and some blank spreadsheets I did in Excel and then printed out. Easy-peasy Japaneezy.

Yeah. I just used a narrow three-ring binder and some blank spreadsheets I did in Excel and then printed out. Easy-peasy Japaneezy.
I've been using a $1.99 notepad for about 20 years.
I just get a kick out of the ATF's terminology. "Bound book". Like there's any other kind.
I'd love to see an unbound book.

This is correct. Also, if a gun turns 50+ while in your possession, but you obtained it prior to getting the C&R FFL, it does not get entered into the BB until you dispose of it (and acquisition is noted as "from prior collection" or something similar.

I'm just going to quote this post.

Every qualifying firearm you buy or sell once you have an 03 must be entered in your bound book regardless of how it is acquired. Every qualifying firearm you sell/dispose must be entered in your bound book even if it was acquired before you got your license.
You do not ''use'' a C&R. You are licensed as an 03FFL.

Unlike other FFLs, when your 03 expires or you fail to renew. you are no longer required to have or keep a bound Book and need not turn it into the ATF,
Also, If you Fail to renew in time, you must reapply for the 03, this comes with a new FFL number, also making your previous book no longer needed as it is not associated to the new License, Those super paranoid about the govt and book inspections can simply let the 03 expire every few cycles, scrap the book and start over.

I bought half a dozen of these back when they were where $3 each

Back
Top Bottom