C&R Handgun Purchase From Non-FFL/Non-MA

I know I'll get sent to the "use the advanced search" broomcloset for asking but I've tried and have been reading for over an hour with no luck.

If it's been asked and answered before...my apologies in advance, if not good finally a new C&R question.

I am attempting to purchase a C&R handgun (pre-WWII WalthePP) but from an individual out of state. Can I do this without the use of an FFL transfer (the seller is not an 01 nor an 03 FFL)? If need be then can his FFL ship directly to me as an 03 FFL holder? The seller claims he cannot ship to me and his FFL can only ship to another 01 FFL. Is this just professional courtesy on the FFLs part? I've purchased from dealers/distributors and had handguns shipped directly to me before. Why would this be different?

Thanks
(MEA CULPA, MEA CULPA...IANAL so maybe I can't spell in latin either)

Not sure that the C&R part has been asked before.

The anal retentive 01 Dealers protecting their own has been beaten to death before however! [rolleyes]

Fed Law allows ANYONE to ship direct to an FFL . . . it matters not what type FFL as long as the gun "qualifies" for that class of FFL.

Seller has to either ship to you directly (give him a copy of your FFL) or HE has to find a dealer with a brain.

e.g. NO MA 01 FFL can transfer that pre-WWII Walther PP to you (or any MA resident)! It isn't on the EOPS List and AG compliant, of that you can be sure.

So the only way to obtain it is for someone to ship direct to you. All perfectly legal.

Good luck.

As I thought, I knew he could ship direct to me but he had me questioning myself.

I thought C&R eligiblity would allow for a MA dealer to sell to me as a C&R holder, just like any other dealer/distributor/person in the country.

So I can buy C&R handguns from anyone, FFL or not outside of MA and have them ship directly to me but I cannot buy a C&R handgun from a MA FFL unless it was in MA pre-1994 and he can prove it?? Am I interpretting this correctly?

What a state! 8~(

I cannot buy a C&R handgun from a MA FFL unless it was in MA pre-1994 and he can prove it??

My feeling is - prove it wasn't in state at that time. Innocent until they prove me guilty.

Probably not a good attitude to have, but that's the way I feel.

Not that I would really violate the law....or course.

Last edited:
My feeling is - prove it wasn't in state at that time. Innocent until they prove me guilty.

Probably not a good attitude to have, but that's the way I feel.

Not that I would really violate the law....or course.

Dennis,

Feel free to buy ANYTHING that a dealer is willing to sell you. NO CRIME doing so!

The crime is that the DEALER can NOT sell/transfer any handgun that isn't compliant or provably grandfathered.

Nothing happens to the buyer, only the dealer.

I've just run into another dealer this week who won't sell me a 100 year old Colt as a C&R gun, because he says it is not on the Massachusetts approved list and he's not sure how long it has been owned in Massachusetts.

Our laws and all this confusion sucks.

I've just run into another dealer this week who won't sell me a 100 year old Colt as a C&R gun, because he says it is not on the Massachusetts approved list and he's not sure how long it has been owned in Massachusetts.

Our laws and all this confusion sucks.

He's right. Massachusetts makes absolutely no exceptions for nor grants the slightest recognition of C&R licenses, except when it comes to issuing Machine Gun licenses. An out of state dealer could sell it to you, or a Massachusetts dealer could sell it to an out-of-state licensee (who might then turn around and sell it to you). Welcome to the monkey house.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom