By by Tommy.

Aw man, I shot your Tommy at the car shoot a few years ago. It was fun. Wish I had a dad that gave me something like that(mine just gives me a headache lol)
Well, not being transferrable, the gun has no real value. Can only be transferred to another 07/SOT tax free if one goes out of business. I just want to keep both the guns in the family. Who knows? Maybe some day there will be a shoot in southern NH and the guns will be there. Jack.

Well, not being transferrable, the gun has no real value. Can only be transferred to another 07/SOT tax free if one goes out of business. I just want to keep both the guns in the family. Who knows? Maybe some day there will be a shoot in southern NH and the guns will be there. Jack.

Why isn't it transferrable? It was an original, no? I'm glad you got to keep it in the family though. I hope so, I'd def like to shoot it again

Haven't done any gun biz for a while now, so time to throw in the towel. The post sample 1828A1 Thompson and M3A1 Grease Gun will now go to my NH FFL son, Little Jack's dad. They already have all the transferrable NFA stuff anyway, and I will have visitation rights. Jack.
There comes a time.........................

Why isn't it transferrable? It was an original, no? I'm glad you got to keep it in the family though. I hope so, I'd def like to shoot it again
"Post samples" were those manufactured or imported after May 19, 1986 and by a law change no new guns could be registered after that date. That put a "lock" on new guns and the transferrable ones went to the moon in price. Imagine what would happen to car prices if no new ones could be built. Jack.

"Post samples" were manufactured or imported after May 19, 1986 and no new guns could be registered after that date. That put a "lock" on new guns and the transferrable ones went to the moon in price. Imagine what would happen to car prices if no new ones could be built. Jack.
So Cuba?

"Post samples" were those manufactured or imported after May 19, 1986 and by a law change no new guns could be registered after that date. That put a "lock" on new guns and the transferrable ones went to the moon in price. Imagine what would happen to car prices if no new ones could be built. Jack.

Oh no, I knew that, I just never asked when yours was made so figured it was pre-86

Oh no, I knew that, I just never asked when yours was made so figured it was pre-86
Well, at the time I had a LEO buddy who got me the "law letters" for both the guns. Thompson $500 and Grease Gun$200. I had helped him by transferring an M16A2 out of the PD to me and then to him. He ended up with a transferrable M16 for the $200 tax. Jack.

Haven't done any gun biz for a while now, so time to throw in the towel. The post sample 1828A1 Thompson and M3A1 Grease Gun will now go to my NH FFL son, Little Jack's dad. They already have all the transferrable NFA stuff anyway, and I will have visitation rights. Jack.
I was fortunate enough to fire that Thompson at one of the NES shoots, bummed I can't find the pic

I was fortunate enough to fire that Thompson at one of the NES shoots, bummed I can't find the pic
If only there was someone who had a copy of the photo.
ATF_Somebody_come_take_a_look__90275.1592078809.jpg

I think the a**h***s are working on that......

several years ago they were bringing some serious money

The original 15,000 1921s were made by Colt. Ordered by Col. Thompson. They are the real "collector" ones. The navy wanted some but they fired too fast for them. Thus the 1928 which had a slower rate of fire. For the first 1928s Colt used some 1921 receivers and put in the slower fire parts. They stamped an "8"over the "1". These became known as the Navy Thompsons or 21/28 Thompsons or the overstamp Thompsons. Quite collectible as well. Jack.

Hello, came across the thread had a couple questions. I am a Mass resident and I am interested in Tommy guns. I am beginning my venture into learning about them so as of now I do not know much about them. Anyway, One-eyed Jack you said in the beginning of this thread something about throwing in the towel because you haven't done any boniness in awhile. I am always looking for new people/dealers especially in and around Mass. I truly hope you have family that can and will continue what your doing, sounds like you have a lot of knowledge about Thompsons. Can you recommend any good resources you trust to get information, do you know any collectors that have a blog or something about them? Also I have seen a few times people talk about different shoots here and there but I have never gotten any notification or ads about any of the ones I have seen others talking about. Are there any coming up in Mass, NH, ME or in NE area? I am in South Shore but would absolutely travel for a fun range day and networking.
Thank you

Welcome Elek98. Tommy-guns are a classic and iconic firearm. I have an Auto Ordinance manufactured semi-auto 1928 model. These are still manufactured and sold by Kahr arms of Worcester MA. It is a lot of fun to shoot, however not nearly as fun as the full auto model$. There are a couple of Thompson focused websites out there that are simple enough to find.

As has been said above the original full-auto versions are highly desirable /collectable / valuable. MA has a special license solely for the possession of a machinegun. (the so called Green Card)
It is separate from the regular LTC and is $100 for six years the same as an LTC. One must either be a LEO firearms instructor or a bona fide collector of firearms in order to apply for a green card. Having an 03-FFL (C&R) makes one a bona fide collector by MA statute.

Good luck in your journey into these fascinating pieces of history.

Last edited:
Just because the 03FFL has the word "Collector" in the title, some shithead decided that you need it for the green card. the 03 has nothing to do with machine guns. A lot pf PDs, mine for instance, pay no mind to it. A very nice lady in the Boston ATF office, who has done my audits was interested in getting a machine gun but the PD in her town required her to have the 03 for the green card which she cannot have being that she works for ATF. Jack.

Well, at the time I had a LEO buddy who got me the "law letters" for both the guns. Thompson $500 and Grease Gun$200. I had helped him by transferring an M16A2 out of the PD to me and then to him. He ended up with a transferrable M16 for the $200 tax. Jack.
Straw purchase. OP goin ta jale.

A 1928 Thompson was my first transferrable machinegun. A four digit serial numbered Auto Ordnance manufactured in 1975.

They are heavy, have a stock that is too long but fun as hell to shoot.

I read somewhere that the first use of the Thompson in combat was in 1921 during the Irish War of Independence.

Last edited:
A 1928 Thompson was my first transferrable machinegun. A four digit serial numbered Auto Ordnance manufactured in 1975.

They are heavy, have a stock that is too long but fun as hell to shoot.
Well, they are an expensive toy and fun to shoot. Look at what people pay for cars that they don't really need. Between the transferrable stuff before 1986 and the post samples, I would never have had all this stuff. Jack.

Back
Top Bottom