~ Buying quality when possible usually pays off . . .

~ Just reflecting back a bit . . .

BROWNING--MEDALIST-1.jpg

Many moons ago when my buddy and I were competing on a “NRA National Gallery Course” (bullseye) team for our gun club we saw someone shooting a Browning Medalist in competition. It was about the most handsome, well made competition 22 caliber pistol either of us had ever seen. We were both looking to acquire better pistols at the time and the Medalist looked great.

Before I had a chance to ask to try shooting this gents Medalist, he told us to give it a try saying, “You don’t want to purchase a pistol just because it looks good, especially for competition!” It felt great in my hand and the sight picture was excellent. I had been using a Colt Woodsman, Match Target that I shot well but the trigger pull must have been eight pounds or better. I shot the Browning like I had practiced for weeks with it and I just had to have one.

My buddy said it felt nice to him but he’s throwing more “flyers” than usual. The fellow that owned the pistol said that the Medalist is a tack driver but is an unforgiving gun in that it seemed to exaggerate the slightest mistake you make. My buddy said that it didn’t matter, “I have a hard time shooting most guns anyhow!”

Well to cut to the chase, we both went on the hunt for new ones. We didn’t have any luck finding any locally. The dealers said that they could probably order them but couldn’t say when they would come in and that it would be a special purchase, extra charge with some. We were bummed out about it.

My buddy said he knew someone in our club that he had done a favor for and that he held an FFL and might order them for us. He contacted him and the order went out. I forget what the local dealers wanted for the Medalist but this guy beat the hell out of their prices. I believe he sold them to us at just slightly over his cost. The cost to me was $138.00 including shipping. That was a nice deal way back then but through the years the value of the Browning Medalist has grown considerably. The photo above is from a gun classifieds site that I check out now and again and they have a used one now that the asking price is $1400.00.

Imagine that, I bought the Browning Medalist and used it for ten or more years for practice and competition and now it could very well be worth ten times what I paid for it! I kept it in near perfect condition and it has everything that the Net. one has except for the bruise in the grip and possible stains on other parts of the woodwork. Like I’ve heard here and elsewhere, that when you buy quality guns, take very good care of them, then you’ll be able to sell them for more than you paid . . . sometimes far more. The link below is the site where the Medalist I saw is listed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom