• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying and selling long guns "out of state"

I live in MA. Hypothetically, I went to NH the other day and bought a long gun. I also sold one. Both hypothetical transactions occurred at the same dealer/ffl, NICS check completed, etc.

Do I need to tell MA? eFA-10 either transaction? If I don't, can I one day sell the gun I hypothetically purchased?

This is really stupid shit to have to worry about, assuming I ever actually buy a long gun out of state. And of course if I did, it would be MA compliant...

All ifs aside. You LEGALLY would need to FA10 the out of state purchase within 7 days of it entering the PRM. Completly legal to buy and sell at FFL.

If you were to sell it in MA via FA10 at a later date, it may look funny if the original transaction was missing.
If it were sold out of state, MA wouldnt know. But you would know. And not fa10ing firearms makes Marcia cry.

All ifs aside. You LEGALLY would need to FA10 the out of state purchase within 7 days of it entering the PRM. Completly legal to buy and sell at FFL.

If you were to sell it in MA via FA10 at a later date, it may look funny if the original transaction was missing.
If it were sold out of state, MA wouldnt know. But you would know. And not fa10ing firearms makes Marcia cry.

Funny thing about the 7-day rule... Buy it 1/1/13. Get busted 9/20/13 and they say needed to have FA10ed on or before 1/8/13. "but officer, I didn't actually bring the gun to MA until yesterday, it was in storage in that state at ______ since the day I bought it". Burden of proof is on the state that you are not telling the truth. One eye-witness that you were playing with the gun at the range over the summer and you're in trouble....

Funny thing about the 7-day rule... Buy it 1/1/13. Get busted 9/20/13 and they say needed to have FA10ed on or before 1/8/13. "but officer, I didn't actually bring the gun to MA until yesterday, it was in storage in that state at ______ since the day I bought it". Burden of proof is on the state that you are not telling the truth. One eye-witness that you were playing with the gun at the range over the summer and you're in trouble....

Same could be said for building up stripped lowers.

I live in MA. Hypothetically, I went to NH the other day and bought a long gun. I also sold one. Both hypothetical transactions occurred at the same dealer/ffl, NICS check completed, etc.

Do I need to tell MA? eFA-10 either transaction? If I don't, can I one day sell the gun I hypothetically purchased?

This is really stupid shit to have to worry about, assuming I ever actually buy a long gun out of state. And of course if I did, it would be MA compliant...

MA Laws and regulations require you to file an FA10 for every transaction consumed in MA or when you buy a firearm outside of the state and bring it to MA (with exceptions for moving in from out of state, etc - none of which seem to apply here).

The purchase should be reported within 7 days of bringing the firearm to MA.

There is no such requirement for the out of state sale - just keep the copy of the sale bill so you can prove that you sold the gun legally if the ATF/MA Police comes knocking at some point.

As it was repeatedly stated by politicians, MA does not have a gun registry - just keeps track of certain transactions. I'm sure that as law abiding government agents, they would not want you to clog their systems with transactions that do not need to be reported, like the sale of a long gun out of state.

Last edited:

Coakley can go screw herself. FA-10s are a paper trail that can and will be used for confiscation actions at the time she or her successors deem appropriate.

- - - Updated - - -

My sentiments exactly!

Back
Top Bottom