Buying ammunition online

You think it's tough getting ammo online? just wait until they finally get the micro-stamping bill through the house and we never see another new gun in MA again.. That AG is way out in left field with the threatening nature towards online vendors.

While it is great to have Wally Mart as a backup, reloaders are finding that they cannot get the primers, powder, or bullets from on-line sources in order to reload.

If you try to circumvent the issue, citing a NH shipping address, the sale will be blocked IF you use a credit card with a MA billing address. Gotta go to NH, or Maine and buy bulk from dealers there. Many MA FFLs are finding that sources that have a product will NOT even ship to a MA FFL!!! They will not listen to the explanation, just hang up on the MA dealer.

dd

I do not buy ammo online as I reload but I do keep track of online pricing. You can't buy 9mm ammo online cheaper than walmart. If someone thinks they can buy equal quality ammo cheaper online than walmart send me the link.

Yes you do have to check your local walmart 5 times a week to get what you want but if your like my family we have a family member in walmart several times a week.

Walmart sells Federal 9mm brass case FMJ 115gr for 19.97 a 100rd box. Online cant touch this price when you count shipping.

Well, one problem is if I go to a local walmart I can't find 1000 rounds of Federal Champion, either. Most don't have enough on the shelf.

Online I can get 1000 rounds of decent quality 9mm for right around $200, but the shipping cost typically ruins the advantage.

-Mike

True, but the hearing at which the vendor must either send paid counsel, go pro-se, or be assessed a default judgement occurs in the state of MA.

You mean the hearing that the AG has no business calling for? Its a criminal racket and the AG should be imprisoned for perpetuating it.

its also good if you have a walmart local that sells ammo. the whole thing sucks. my friend drove around tuesday afternoon looking to stock up on ammo
1k in hand and he could not find a cases of 5.56 762x54r, 9mm

its also good if you have a walmart local that sells ammo. the whole thing sucks. my friend drove around tuesday afternoon looking to stock up on ammo
1k in hand and he could not find a cases of 5.56 762x54r, 9mm
I'd bet Riley's and MFL have both in stock.

the time and money he wasted he could have been to MFL and back and stopped for a "GREAT" lunch some where. It just sucks it has to be this way in mass. Its sad when someone wants to spend 1k dollars and just cant seem to do it. He called me today went to dicks and just purchased what they had for the umc stuff in 9mm and 223. total spent 600.00

You mean the hearing that the AG has no business calling for? Its a criminal racket and the AG should be imprisoned for perpetuating it.

I am not aware of any statute that allows for criminal sanctions against an AG that issues a legal opinion, even if it is subsequently found to be wrong. If you are aware of such a criminal statute, please let Comm2a know about it.

MGL C 140 Sec 122B

"No person shall sell ammunition in the Commonwealth unless duly licensed. ....."

online sellers aren't licensed - that's how/why the AG goes after them -

if you use that much ammo - get a progressive reloading press....

MGL C 140 Sec 122B

"No person shall sell ammunition in the Commonwealth unless duly licensed. ....."

online sellers aren't licensed - that's how/why the AG goes after them -

if you use that much ammo - get a progressive reloading press....

I'll take failure to understand interstate commerce for $1000, Alex!

Sellers not in MA don't have to abide by this state's shitty laws, particularly if someone from MA is buying ammo FOB the sender.

-Mike

No, their regulation says that ammo cannot be sold "in" Massachusetts without a Massachusetts license to sell ammo.

An "online sale" takes place at the vendor's location not the buyer's location. This is where the AG is full of shit. This is why out of state online sales don't charge you Massachusetts sales tax. Their sale takes place at their location and they are not agents for the state of Massachusetts.

That aside, there is no law "authorizing" the sale of ammo in NH, its simply NOT illegal to do so, meaning there is no law prohibiting it.

Best ever post summing this up!!!!

in all honesty, iv don the math and 9 out 10 tens walmarts prices on ammo is actually cheaper than any online price .. im buying 22 45 38 357 and 12 gauge , and i cant find a site that can beat their prices , xxxxxx. none of them, the real problem is IF walmart HAS what i want when i want

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess which sellers have the best selection and prices for reloading components?

Certainly not the big ones like Brownells or Midway. You might get lucky and find something on sale, but that's rare. Look to the little guys. The cheapest place with the best selection I've found will happily sell and ship to MA. (And no, I'm not telling who that is.)

Certainly not the big ones like Brownells or Midway. You might get lucky and find something on sale, but that's rare. Look to the little guys. The cheapest place with the best selection I've found will happily sell and ship to MA. (And no, I'm not telling who that is.)

This^^^^^^^^

I'll take failure to understand interstate commerce for $1000, Alex!

Sellers not in MA don't have to abide by this state's shitty laws, particularly if someone from MA is buying ammo FOB the sender.

Sellers have to abide by it unless they are willing to offer a defense in a MA court or face a default judgement. There was a case where the AG went after two mail order vendors selling BB gun by mail to MA residents, and obtained a default judgement of over $70K.

The question is not about the law, or right and wrong, but the ability to inflict economic pain to coerce behavior.

Would someone who's in-the-know about on-line sellers who will ship ammo to MA, please PM me some info on the dealer? I'm all for supporting my local gun shop, and do buy target ammo (WWB/Federal) at Wal*Mart, but would still just like to know... Thanks in advance.

& Yes I read the sticky note. Still hoping someone will PM me any details.

Last edited:
Sellers have to abide by it unless they are willing to offer a defense in a MA court or face a default judgement. There was a case where the AG went after two mail order vendors selling BB gun by mail to MA residents, and obtained a default judgement of over $70K.

The question is not about the law, or right and wrong, but the ability to inflict economic pain to coerce behavior.

True enough, but I haven't seen one instance yet where a vendor bullied by the AG has said something like "Fine, we'll see you in court...".

A lot of crap the AG does is based off blowing smoke and hoping the target falls for it. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of vendors just signed things like consent decrees to make the problem go away, without even bothering to contact a lawyer. Sales to MA for some of the vendors is probably less than 1% of their annual gross, so they probably figured it was cheaper to throw the entire "MA" pie out the window.

-Mike

Would someone who's in-the-know about on-line sellers who will ship ammo to MA, please PM me some info on the dealer? I'm all for supporting my local gun shop, and do buy target ammo (WWB/Federal) at Wal*Mart, but would still just like to know... Thanks in advance.

& Yes I read the sticky note. Still hoping someone will PM me any details.

Outside of WalMart, to be honest the best place to get ammo is an NH gun show, like Manch. or even Concord. There were some deals at Manch that were very competitive with internet pricing, and likely better, once you add in the cost of shipping from the internet vendors.

-Mike

If the courts are willing to call a whale at Seaworld a slave, then I am willing to seek relief from the AG interstate ammunition-sale ban via aforementioned whackadoo courts.

ETA: Doesn't it all sound crazy?

-JR

in all honesty, iv don the math and 9 out 10 tens walmarts prices on ammo is actually cheaper than any online price .. im buying 22 45 38 357 and 12 gauge , and i cant find a site that can beat their prices , xxxxxx. none of them, the real problem is IF walmart HAS what i want when i want

I haven't checked your calibers, but my guess is that you are not looking hard enough.

9mm at Walmart is +- 24.00/100 plus tax = 25.50/100 (plus gas to drive there.)
9mm can be purchased on line for less than $200 per case of 1,000- free shipping no sales tax. That puts Walmart 30% higher in price.

I haven't checked your calibers, but my guess is that you are not looking hard enough.

9mm can be purchased on line for less than $200 per case of 1,000- free shipping no sales tax. That puts Walmart 30% higher in price.

You can get 1000 rounds of 9mm at Walmart for 200 bucks if they have the Fed 100 round value packs in stock. No tax in NH.

ETA: You also gain the flexibility of buying how much you want or can afford. If you buy online you are not getting a discount if you are not buying full cases, and with some vendors the good price only exists if you buy at least 2 cases.

-Mike

Last edited:

9mm Federal is $19.97 per 100 at WalMart. If you happen to be shopping in NH, there's no sales tax. Granted, they may not always have the quantity you want in stock, but they usually have a couple of boxes at least.

Edit: Damn, Mike beat me to it...

9mm Federal is $19.97 per 100 at WalMart. If you happen to be shopping in NH, there's no sales tax. Granted, they may not always have the quantity you want in stock, but they usually have a couple of boxes at least.

Yup.... if I wasn't reloading, I would be picking up 1-4 boxes of (whatever) every time I went to walmart in NH for cat litter and the like. That's what I did in the old days.... I would just accumulate it over time, next thing you know you had 4000 rounds of cheap 9mm.

-Mike

Edit: Damn, Mike beat me to it...

And about half that price if you reload. [wink]

And about half that price if you reload. [wink]

Yeah I'm at about $12 for 100 rounds, in a bullet weight that you can't even typically get at wal mart. (124 gr). It gets stupidly cheap if you use lead.

-Mike

Yeah I'm at about $12 for 100 rounds, in a bullet weight that you can't even typically get at wal mart. (124 gr). It gets stupidly cheap if you use lead.

-Mike
Would reloading also be cheaper of online suppliers also shipped to ma? I've been flirting with reloading and seems like best deals are also online for components?

Back
Top Bottom