Buying ammunition online

Hey guys,

[CLOSED]

Can MA residents purchase ammunition online? I am looking for 9mm, found a good deal on Natchez, but appear to be restricted by MA law.

Am I forced to go to Walmart and pay whatever they charge? Are there any alternatives?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I do apologize for the dupe*4, but the previous posts all kept alluding to some bastard AG who kept intimidating sellers. Curious as to whether that changed - probably not.

What is a competitive/good price for a box of 9mm Luger? (The smaller grain)

On second thought, as per Disko's suggestion, I declare this post closed and once again apologize for making a giant ass of myself.

But as a side note, I despise MA.

nope, Martha is still AG, and she's still a can't.

any seller that tells you they can't ship to MA, can't ship to MA because they don't want to...

make sure you tell them that, and tell them you'll gladly give your money to one of their competitors that isn't run by a bunch of pussies....

ETA: no, no typos....

Last edited:
If all you are looking for is 9mm Luger, you won't do better than a local gun shop or WalMart when you factor in shipping.

For large amounts of milsurp stuff, there is money to be saved by buying online, you just have to know who to buy from. And those who know are not going to tell you on this forum.

I do apologize for the dupe*4, but the previous posts all kept alluding to some bastard AG who kept intimidating sellers. Curious as to whether that changed - probably not.
Nope, that hasn't changed. Marsha is just as bad as Tom Reilly.

If all you are looking for is 9mm Luger, you won't do better than a local gun shop or WalMart when you factor in shipping.

There are plenty of online retailers that can beat out Walmart's prices on 9mm steel cased ammo, and those companies offer quality brass cased ammo for less even including shipping. You do have to trade waiting for your ammo, but have the security knowing that they will be in stock as opposed to wally world's stock changing as frequently as the tides.

There are plenty of online retailers that can beat out Walmart's prices on 9mm steel cased ammo, and those companies offer quality brass cased ammo for less even including shipping. You do have to trade waiting for your ammo, but have the security knowing that they will be in stock as opposed to wally world's stock changing as frequently as the tides.

That's good to know. The place I bought my 7.62x54R from didn't have much in the way of standard, commercial ammo. I will have to try some other places for my handgun ammo.

If you get lucky at the gun shows sometimes you can even beat most of the online retailers. For example @ Manchester last year I picked up a case of 124 gr 9mm for like $215 (or maybe it was $210, I forget) and none of "the usual suspects" could get the same product to my house for that kind of money. It all depends on which vendor(s) show up at the shows.

-Mike

That is a good deal, last time i bought online about a month ago i got a case shipped for $194.42; i live on an island so it takes a lot for me to get off and search gun shops and wally world for the supplies i need.

I know this is a dupe of a dupe of a dupe's mother brothers cousins dupe but I have a question I can't find.

The purchaser, can not, in any means if properly licensed, get in trouble for this? The proper license is just your LTC correct?

Lets say some sheep is working at UPS and thinks its illegal to deliver ammo to residents and stirs stuff up with the police. Thats the only thing holding me back

For the 90th time, there's is absolutely nothing in MGL stopping a permit holder (FID / LTC) from having ammunition shipped to them in MA.

-Mike

mike ,if only that was enough for the vendors to go on. I recently went through this with a vendor who in a nut shell said "I dont care what the laws dont say show me a law that says its ok" I was stumped and moved on.

mike ,if only that was enough for the vendors to go on. I recently went through this with a vendor who in a nut shell said "I dont care what the laws dont say show me a law that says its ok" I was stumped and moved on.

Fax him a copy of 2A

Then when he says he needs something specific to MA online ammo sales, ask him if he ships to NH. When he says he does, ask him what NH law specifically authorizes him to do so.

Fax him a copy of 2A

You might also fax him copies of the $70,000 judgement the AG obtained against two BB gun dealers who were making legal shipments to MA and ignored the AG's demand for a consent decree.

Then when he says he needs something specific to MA online ammo sales, ask him if he ships to NH. When he says he does, ask him what NH law specifically authorizes him to do so.

You are missing the point. You would be asking the seller to take the very real risk he would be sued in a MA court and be subject to either funding a defense or losing to a default judgement. As a business decision, it's a no brainer. Vendors exist to make a profit, not crusade for your rights.

Fax him a copy of 2A

Laws "prohibit" things or actions, they don't "authorize" them. Where in the hell did people ever get the notion that there has to be a law authorizing something?

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts Attorney Generals office?

No, their regulation says that ammo cannot be sold "in" Massachusetts without a Massachusetts license to sell ammo.

An "online sale" takes place at the vendor's location not the buyer's location. This is where the AG is full of shit. This is why out of state online sales don't charge you Massachusetts sales tax. Their sale takes place at their location and they are not agents for the state of Massachusetts.

That aside, there is no law "authorizing" the sale of ammo in NH, its simply NOT illegal to do so, meaning there is no law prohibiting it.

All right, I'll admit I succumbed to my baser instincts there, and trolled just a little. [wink] Your analysis of the legal issue is, I believe, correct.

However, I do think that the attitude comes from the executive branch of MA government, who is trying to accomplish through policy and procedure what they can't accomplish legally.

to bad the big guys, midway,brownells dont fight for us. I would emagine sales would go sky high for midway if harry sent his big corp lawyers nocking on AGs door ?

to bad the big guys, midway,brownells dont fight for us. I would emagine sales would go sky high for midway if harry sent his big corp lawyers nocking on AGs door ?

Not really. MA is like 1%? of the US ammo market? Maybe. Not to mention anyone who is serious is already wallhacking the piss out of this "blockade" (and getting whatever they need anyways) so sales really won't effectively go up (much) anyways. There is little incentive for the vendors to do it, in that regard. The whole thing is more of an annoyance to gun owners than anything else.

-Mike

Not really. MA is like 1%? of the US ammo market? Maybe. Not to mention anyone who is serious is already wallhacking the piss out of this "blockade" (and getting whatever they need anyways) so sales really won't effectively go up (much) anyways. There is little incentive for the vendors to do it, in that regard. The whole thing is more of an annoyance to gun owners than anything else. -Mike

Thats correct and thats exactly what it was intended to be.....just another stumbling block to discourage people.

Could a 2A advocacy organization, such as Comm2A or Second Amendment Foundation, go after this? Could they issue a letter to a number of the major ammo sellers, with a cc: to the Mass. A.G., clarifying that mail order sales to Mass. buyers are in fact legal under Mass. law? Such a notification could go further, inviting any retailer who is subjected to contrary pressure from the state to blow the whistle and contact the 2A organization, who will then take steps including perhaps going to court. Is this a case in which a good offense can be good defense?

I do not buy ammo online as I reload but I do keep track of online pricing. You can't buy 9mm ammo online cheaper than walmart. If someone thinks they can buy equal quality ammo cheaper online than walmart send me the link.

Yes you do have to check your local walmart 5 times a week to get what you want but if your like my family we have a family member in walmart several times a week.

Walmart sells Federal 9mm brass case FMJ 115gr for 19.97 a 100rd box. Online cant touch this price when you count shipping.

I do not buy ammo online as I reload but I do keep track of online pricing. You can't buy 9mm ammo online cheaper than walmart. If someone thinks they can buy equal quality ammo cheaper online than walmart send me the link.

Yes you do have to check your local walmart 5 times a week to get what you want but if your like my family we have a family member in walmart several times a week.

Walmart sells Federal 9mm brass case FMJ 115gr for 19.97 a 100rd box. Online cant touch this price when you count shipping.

That's the stuff I buy as well. I am usually in WM twice a week, and I grab a couple of the Federal 100 packs whenver they have them. If they are out and I need some target ammo, I get the 50 round Tula steel cased stuff for $9.97. That stuff seems to work just fine, too.

I have only bought mil surp stuff online, and the prices have been much better than I have found locally, even with shipping.

An "online sale" takes place at the vendor's location not the buyer's location[/B]. This is where the AG is full of shit.

True, but the hearing at which the vendor must either send paid counsel, go pro-se, or be assessed a default judgement occurs in the state of MA.

Back
Top Bottom