Buying ammunition online

Would reloading also be cheaper of online suppliers also shipped to ma? I've been flirting with reloading and seems like best deals are also online for components?

Yes. But more importantly, hardly any gun shops have a decent supply of reloading components. There just isn't a way that they can carry enough different varieties to satisfy a reloader. For example, different reloaders might want the following in 45 ACP bullets:

- 230gr FMJ
- 230gr plated
- 230gr JHP
- 230gr LRN
- 230gr LRN coated
- 200gr WC
- 185gr WC

And that's just for 45 ACP -- reloaders have similarly varied taste in bullets for .40, 9mm, .38 Spcl, etc. An online seller can keep that variety in a warehouse, but a retail store can't afford to keep that many varieties in stock due to limited shelf space and high real estate cost.

most local sources do not stock the bulk needed to be cost effective. Some shops might have a good selection of bullets in packs of 100 but theres no savings there. I make sure to plot into my GPS as many gun shops and vendors who have walk in service out side of mass and make pit stops.

... For example, different reloaders might want the following in 45 ACP bullets:

- 230gr FMJ
- 230gr plated
- 230gr JHP
- 230gr LRN
- 230gr LRN coated
- 200gr WC
- 185gr WC

Please forgive my ignorance, but why would someone want ALL of those variations? I can understand some , like the hollow point vs. LRN vs. FMJ. But I'm left wondering why I would want all
Of these.

Please forgive my ignorance, but why would someone want ALL of those variations? I can understand some , like the hollow point vs. LRN vs. FMJ. But I'm left wondering why I would want all
Of these.
You wouldn't. But one shooter would want 230 FMJ, another shooter would want 230 plated, a third shooter would want 230 JHP, and chances are they wouldn't buy a different variety if you didn't have what they wanted. So a gun dealer would have to keep multiple choices in stock for each caliber or his customers wouldn't find what they wanted.

It is sort of like the Levi's problem: if you want 505 Levi's in 32x30, 550 Levi's aren't going to cut it and 505 Levi's in 34x30 won't work as well -- either they have a very large amount of stock so they have what you want or they lose the sale.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom