• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying a gun question

I applied for my class a on the 5th of march. Today i called the police station an the LO said that my license will be here on mon. now my question is can i buy a gun private sale, say today with my license number which i have.

well i have a friend who would be selling to me he's seen my paper work with my license number on it. ive know him for some time

Last I knew you license wasn't "legit" until you signed the paper accepting possession of it.

personally I wouldn't take the risk of having a gun in my possession without a license also in my possession just due to overzealous PO.

scriv will know though

You have a number; not a license.

As you well know, I dare say.

Well I probaly should just want but is is a good deal maybe ill just give my buddy the money to hold for now. Ill just pick it up when i get the actually license. Im to afraid to buy it now cause ill want to carry it.

Listen to Scrivener, do not take the gun. Give your buddy the money and have him hold on to the gun until you get your LTC in hand.

As a gun owner you should be doing everything right as to not make things harder for the rest of us.

Yea, don't risk it in MA. If your issuing CLEO ever found out he'd revoke your permit in a heartbeat. If he's a good and trustworthy friend then he should have no problem holding on to it.

IMO unless you have it in hand, it doesn't exist.

Another technicality which could exist (not sure if they do this
anymore) is the "activation" date thing- when I got my LTC, I
actually received it before I could use it- the issue date was actually
post-dated so that I wouldn't get screwed out of a year of
time.

-Mike

Don't rush believe me don't rush. I paid $740 for a used Sig P239 9mm the first day I got my license. I look back on that purchase now and cringe because it looks like I overpaid @ least $100 for it. Do your homework now and don't rush to buy. In my opinion you will get the best deals from a private sale but don't rush it none the less.

I applied for my class a on the 5th of march. Today i called the police station an the LO said that my license will be here on mon. now my question is can i buy a gun private sale, say today with my license number which i have.

You applied on 3/5 and your license will be here by Monday? It usually takes a couple months. Also, you are in Brocton and I thought Brocton was one of those 'don't even bother trying' cities?? I'd wait until I have it in hand. There are no guarantees!

If the town actually does things in a timely fashion, the state does turn licenses around quickly. A friend in Burlington had a license in exactly 3 weeks.

You applied on 3/5 and your license will be here by Monday? It usually takes a couple months. Also, you are in Brocton and I thought Brocton was one of those 'don't even bother trying' cities?? I'd wait until I have it in hand. There are no guarantees!

the license officer told me i was all set gave me a copy of my app with a picture of me on it an a license number. then i asked her whats next she said that you'll be getting a class a resticted. she said i should see it the first week of march so i already had a answer walking out of the police station

and i called her last week when an she said it should be there on mon. I played dumb an asked what type of license i was approverd for again an she said the same thing

Well I probaly should just want but is is a good deal maybe ill just give my buddy the money to hold for now. Ill just pick it up when i get the actually license. Im to afraid to buy it now cause ill want to carry it.

You state that you have been informed that you're receiving a Class A RESTRICTED license, yet you make the statement above.

I'm with some of the other posters here on the "appropriateness" of the LTC application in the first place.

If you can't practice some basic self restraint, please don't carry a gun.

Agreed. A little patience is called for.

May as well give the state more reason to restrict our rights and ruin it for the rest of us. I know not all will agree, but that is what I envision happening. That or someone will get hurt for some stupid reason.

I had the same thing happen. I;m in Brockton and got my license last year. It's restricted as well. Supposedly this is new to Brockton as they did not used to hand out Class A's all that much, but I think they like the restrictions because it gives them some power over just who they want to carry. Although supposedly upon renewal they do give an unrestricted license I have heard. But don't take the chance and carry. Just get some mace in the meantime.

I had the same thing happen. I;m in Brockton and got my license last year. It's restricted as well. Supposedly this is new to Brockton as they did not used to hand out Class A's all that much, but I think they like the restrictions because it gives them some power over just who they want to carry. Although supposedly upon renewal they do give an unrestricted license I have heard. But don't take the chance and carry. Just get some mace in the meantime.

what are the restrictions on your LTC?

the license officer told me i was all set gave me a copy of my app with a picture of me on it an a license number. then i asked her whats next she said that you'll be getting a class a resticted. she said i should see it the first week of march so i already had a answer walking out of the police station

I'm going to pretend you don't know what "class A restricted" means and spell it out for you: It means you can buy a high capacity rifle or handgun, you may posses them, you may transport them in a locked container/trunk, you may shoot them at the range, you may admire them in your living room, you may clean them in your basement, you may hunt with them (assuming you have a hunting license).

You CANNOT legally carry concealed or open (please don't start the open carry questions - do a search). Please understand this clearly. If you have any questions, please ask.

Twice in this thread you have openly suggested doing something illegal. You will not, I trust, find support here for that activity. You will find people willing to help you negotiate the ins and outs of staying legal and understanding the law. I suggest you spend some time studying the law and then ask specific questions in the law forum.

I'm going to pretend you don't know what "class A restricted" means and spell it out for you: It means you can buy a high capacity rifle or handgun, you may posses them, you may transport them in a locked container/trunk, you may shoot them at the range, you may admire them in your living room, you may clean them in your basement, you may hunt with them (assuming you have a hunting license).

You CANNOT legally carry concealed or open (please don't start the open carry questions - do a search). Please understand this clearly. If you have any questions, please ask.

Twice in this thread you have openly suggested doing something illegal. You will not, I trust, find support here for that activity. You will find people willing to help you negotiate the ins and outs of staying legal and understanding the law. I suggest you spend some time studying the law and then ask specific questions in the law forum.

hence why I emphasize NOT becoming another data point for the anti's to use against us "zOMG he was using a gun illegally" doesnt matter how benign, they will spin it to their flavor, and you wil genuinely f*ck all of us over in the process IMHO

hence why I emphasize NOT becoming another data point for the anti's to use against us "zOMG he was using a gun illegally" doesnt matter how benign, they will spin it to their flavor, and you wil genuinely f*ck all of us over in the process IMHO

The OP has a track record of willful cluelessness, of which this post - placed in the wrong section - is but another example. I am not sure that even BostonAsphalt, with his "special needs" training, can enlighten the OP.

what are the restrictions on your LTC?

Mine has the restriction of "sporting" placed on it. I had posted a letter I received along with my license that contained the definition that had been given to this restriction a little while ago. Of course a lot were arguing about the validity of the definitions and whether the letter came straight from the CHSB or whether they were simply the definitions assigned by my local PD. It's hard to say unless more people start getting a similar letter when they get their license.

Back
Top Bottom