Buying a gun out of state, carrying it here?

Not yet an LTC holder, but Hopeful to get my LTC next summer, and had a complicated question.....

we all know that half of the best handguns are illegal to sell in mass. That said, if i do get my LTC when i turn 21 I will probably apply for an out of sate LTC in CT because I attend university there. Now assuming that out of state LTC holders are allowed to purchase firearms in CT, which im not even sure if that is the case, would I be able to purchase a non MA compliant firearm, such as a springfield XD, and bring it back home to MA? i know FSguns, and most everyone says that there is no way around the MA purchasing laws, but if I was purchasing in CT I dont see how it would be a problem. The law states that these guns cannot be sold in MA, but doesnt address the possession of them correct? I want to believe that this is true, but I need some opinions. And if it turns out that I cannot purchase in CT with non res. permit, I could get resident satus in CT. Then would I be able to purchase non ma compliant and bring them back to MA. In theory I feel like this is a plausable way around the bogus MA restrictions, yet still think its probably too good to be true. Thanks in advance for any help.

I realize now that you cannot by a firearm in a state you dont reside -federal law. That said, in ct for proof of residency all you need is a rental agreement, which would be no problem. So assuming I could get a resident pistol permit, could i go from there....

Check the Gun Laws forums; I think that there are several threads there that address this. I think that you're right; it's too good to be true.

Per Fed Law one can have dual residency if one lives in two different places for extended periods during the year (e.g. "snow birds" who live in FL from say Oct to Mar and MA from Mar to Oct). Thus under Fed Law they could buy a handgun in each state while residing there. The Feds do NOT care what you do with it once you own it.

MA REFUSES to recognize dual residency for college students attending school here or even "snow birds". This is mostly a policy issue for "snow birds" and I "think" it is in MGLs for students attending college in MA.

CT - I have no idea what their policy is on college students. So that is where you have to check first.

If CT allows you to be considered a "resident" while attending college, my guess is that you'd have to get a Resident LTC/CCW in CT in order to buy a handgun (but it is a guess, I don't know their laws).

If you could do this, yes you could bring it back to MA (once you get your MA LTC), BUT you could NOT legally bring any post-9/13/94 mfd hi-cap mags into MA for any reason or at any time unless you are LE.

Hope that helps.

It's my understanding that if you are an official "resident" of CT, and duly licensed, you can purchase any number of firearms in CT. Then, when you move to MA, you have some grace period with which to obtain your local LTC, and you can certainly bring your personal property (firearms) with you (except high-cap mags).

You could even sell them to private parties upon your move to MA. This is the only legal way that I know of for non-AG-listed handguns to enter the state. It's how I got my P7M8, for example. :)

But it all hinges on being an actual resident of CT with LTC.

this all seems to good to be true. I have read about people saying you could buy out of state non list guns, then sell them in state, but if that were the case wouldnt everyone be doing it? In theory if this is true, If i get resident ltc's for mass and CT, then whats to stop me from buying a bunch of shiny new glocks, and sell them at home? on that note whats the limit on tranfers per year?

4 per calendar year.

Many states won't consider any college student a "resident" for fear of reduced tuition. That is the MA situation . . . if you didn't go to high school in MA, then you can't be a MA resident while you are in college no matter what! Thus, most chiefs will deny LTCs, FIDs, etc. to college students that claim dual residency. BTW: They also deny "snow birds" here in MA (wrt LTC) unless they vote in MA, have a MA DL, register their cars here and pay IRS with a MA address. [This is well beyond any law, but they do it and get away with it.]

this all seems to good to be true. I have read about people saying you could buy out of state non list guns, then sell them in state, but if that were the case wouldnt everyone be doing it? In theory if this is true, If i get resident ltc's for mass and CT, then whats to stop me from buying a bunch of shiny new glocks, and sell them at home? on that note whats the limit on tranfers per year?

People certainly do this, when they move. But you're limited to 4 transfers per year, and you'll also have to officially change residency and actually 'move'. So you can probably make a few bucks for your move, but not much, and it would be dumb to try and make it a regular system.

from being a former CT resident.

You will not be considered a CT resident as a college student. unless you get a job, an apartment off campus) and live there for a year or so while going to school. you also need to get your drivers License as well showing your address to be in CT. at which point in the eyse of mass you are no longer a Mass resident.

from being a former CT resident.

You will not be considered a CT resident as a college student. unless you get a job, an apartment off campus) and live there for a year or so while going to school. you also need to get your drivers License as well showing your address to be in CT. at which point in the eyse of mass you are no longer a Mass resident.

...which means that you would need a non-resident MA LTC in order to possess anything here in MA. [hmmm]

This does work, assuming you become a legal resident.

In my case, I secured a off campus apartment, a part time job and a driver's license (had to bring some utility bills to the DMV to get the driver's license) while I attended college outside of MA. After graduation, I "became" a MA resident via the same procedure (secured dwelling, job and driver's license) and then got my LTC. I only wish I had more money after graduating to buy more guns.....

Then I realized how insane MA was and moved to NH.

Back
Top Bottom