• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying a Browning Hi Power

I am purchasing a Browning FN (Belgian Made) Hi Power 9mm pistol next week. I have always wanted one of these handguns and finally found one that is resonable in price. Its a 93 era hi power.
A couple questions to you Hi Power people because I have never owned a hi power before.
I want to recreate the old school hi power with the ring style hammer, and one sided safety and wood checkered grips. The one I am getting has the spur hammer and amedexterous (dont know how to spell that.... [crying]) safety and new black grips. So all 3 of those have to go. Question.... will the new Hi Power I am getting be able to accept the single sided safety and the ring hammer? I know it will take the original wood grips. Also does anyone know where I can get a single sided safety, ring hammer and wood grips for it other than ebay or gunbroker?
thanks for the help guys,
Rob

Hmmm...you have raised some interesting questions. The Browning Hi-Power is one of my all time favorite pistols. I suspect that you would have no problems with interchanability of parts...but suspecting isn't knowing. There are, however, several people who really know their Hi-Powers. One of these is Wayne Novak. I think if you contacted him, he could answer your questions and also do the work if you shipped him the gun. Novak built his reputation on building some great custom Hi-Powers even before he became famous for his sights.

The other place to check is Cylinder and Slide, Bill Laughridge has been doing Hi-Pwer work for years and has made made custom replacement parts.

Listed below are the website addresses and from there you can call, write or email

http://www.novaksights.com/custom_guns.htm

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/

Mark L.

PS All Hi-Powers except the Ingliss produced ones in WWII and the licensed Argentinian FM's and the Hungarian and Indonesian copies are "Belgian Made"...if yours is a '93 vintage it was probably assembled in Portugal, which is fine. There are those who will say that the Portugese assembled pistols are inferior but that is a load of horse-puckey. All the parts were made in Belgium and FN quality control is arguably the best in the business regardless of where their faciities are located.

Last edited:
Another good local guy to work on Hi-Powers is Mike LaRocca in Worcester. He's in the phone book.

Are you buying this gun off the classifieds here? The one for sale here looks like a good buy.

I think if I wanted the ring hammer and the left hand safety, I'd buy one like that. The Ambi safety is a good thing. Whether you're left handed, of have an injured right hand and have to use the gun in your left hand, does it hurt to have the Ambi-safety? It's considered an "Improvement" to the model.

There is a lot of information you might find interesting at: www.highpowersandhandguns.com

yeah its the one off this site.

Seems like a real good guy and I hope it works out.

I understand the benifit of the ami safety but 2 things. This is not going to be my carry tactical "Hi speed low drag" gun as I have others to do those tactical duties. This is a gun for collection purposes and I prefer the single safety and ring hammer and wood grips because I enjoy the ORIGINAL look. Plus I am a lefty and have no problem using the index finger to manipulate the safety on the Hi Powers. I have fired them a lot before but this would be my first one to own or do any work on.
I am a Firearms Instructor (Pistol and Rifle) and Glock and AR15 (Bushmaster and Colt) armorer and as a lefty, I have picked up some pretty usefull tricks over the years at numerous schools from a world of knowledgable people to make things work pretty efficient both right and left handed.

thanks for the info as I really appreciate it,
Rob[grin]

Last edited:
The safety conversion is simple. And C&S has replacement rowel-type hammers, though I'd consider having them do this swap, since some fitting may be required. However, I'd rethink changing the stocks, whether this is a shooter or a collector.

P35s are not perfect pistols, and one of the gripes is with the fit of the pistol in most hands. The plastic grips on Mark III pistols (which I gather yours to be) both reduces the effect of the fat grip and tends to reduce (somewhat) hammer bite.

In addition, Mark IIIs are readily identifiable to collectors, and Mark III with wood stocks will not be mistaken for a Mark I.

ateamrob, as a lefty, I could use some of those left handed tricks you've learned if you care to pass any on. Maybe we can shoot together someday and you can 'splain some new stuff to me.

As for the gun as a collectible, don't you think it loses value if you change it from the original configuration? I have a few guns that would be considered collectible, but like you I use them how I want. I'm really "accumulating" guns, rather than "collecting" them, which kinda seems like an investment type of thing. I just like having them. I really don't care what they're worth when I'm gone. I just hope someone who appreciates them gets their hands on the good ones.

Bill

btw, when I shoot a Hi-Power, I use the thumb of my left hand to use the safety. I've never even thought of trying to use the index finger. I'm not sure it would work though, with the original small safety lever on my old Hi-Powers, but with an extended safety lever it might give me a more secure grip while I fire. Unlike you, I'd prefer to have a safety on the right side only, where my shooting hand thumb could reach it without relaxing the grip on the pistol.

You gotta love them Hi-Powers, I just got another one 2 weeks ago too!

Last edited:
I never said anything about putting a stock on it. [rolleyes] All I am going to do is put wood grips on it, single safety and ring hammer.
My intent is to recreate the original look of the P35. I could care less about it loosing value or what its worth. I know what its worth to me and could care less what anyone else thinks its worth since I wont be selling it and if I ever do I can put the other parts back on. I want an original looking Hi Power that is in good shape that can be a shooter for me.
Sure Bill I would love to get together and go shooting. Exchange of info is always a good thing. [grin] Anytime bro.... There are some good ranges up my way (Northfield, MA) and even some good ones in NH and VT which are both 5 minutes away from my house here in MA.
As always guys, thanks so much for all of your input as you guys are great and I really appreciate your helpful insight.
thanks,
Rob

I never said anything about putting a stock on it. [rolleyes] All I am going to do is put wood grips on it, single safety and ring hammer.
Many people refer to the "grips" as the "stocks" on a pistol, and if you read the context, that's exactly what is being referenced above.

Many people refer to the "grips" as the "stocks" on a pistol, and if you read the context, that's exactly what is being referenced above.

oh ok. I guess I see what you mean. I thought he meant stock as in shoulder stock because I have seen some old school Hi Powers with actual wood shoulder stocks attached to them...
however I will be putting some checkered walnut wood grips on mine as I really am trying to recreate the look of the original Hi Power.
There are so many old school Hi Powers out there that I would not need to modify but since I live in MA I am restricted to only buying a handgun in MA because of MA's stupid laws (no more buying handguns from out of state... has to be an in state purchase) so I cant grab any of the Hi Powers from out of state. This is the only Hi Power I have seen for sale in MA so I am jumping on it.

There are so many old school Hi Powers out there that I would not need to modify but since I live in MA I am restricted to only buying a handgun in MA because of MA's stupid laws (no more buying handguns from out of state... has to be an in state purchase) so I cant grab any of the Hi Powers from out of state. This is the only Hi Power I have seen for sale in MA so I am jumping on it.
You sure about this? I thought you could buy out-of-state guns through an FFL just like anyone else (new guns/magic AG list notwithstanding).

nope.... not according to Jurek Bro. in Greenfield, MA. I speak to them all the time and Steve has helped me out a lot through the years. A handgun can not be transfered and sold to a civilian anymore from out of state anymore. It has to be an IN STATE handgun for a certain period of time. Not sure of the details. I used to buy out of state weapons all the time up until about 6 months ago (handguns and rifles) and have them transfered to my dealers but according to them... NO MORE!!!!
I checked with 2 other dealers on this as well and they both said the same thing. Some new thing MA implemented...

I know it threw me for a loop too.... [sad2][sad2][sad2]

Last edited:
Like I said it threw me for a real loop when I heard that because I wanted to buy a Hi Power from gunbroker and was told by 3 dealers that you cant buy out of state handguns anymore and there is a new MA law that is governing this.
I could not believe it when I heard it.
that is all I know but I sure think it calls for some investigating.

Rob, as long as the gun was manufactured prior to (I believe) 1998, and owned by a license holder (not a dealer), or if the gun was ever legally owned in Massachusetts after 1998, and you have paperwork to prove the gun was in the state or the gun is older than 1998, you can buy it, except the Hi-cap mags still cannot be purchased.

Like JonJ said, it's just dealers making up laws. It's to their advantage to tell you that you can't buy out of state. It means more sales for them. Some of the best advice I've ever heard n this forum is,.... don't ask gun shop owners or policemen what the laws are, because they really don't know. Only a lawyer can interpret all these strange laws.

BTW, I just bought a 1970 Browning Hi Power, a "T" series, what some people think is the epitome of the Hi-Power. It was in these classifieds for less than $400. It has some cosmetic blemishes, but runs beautifully. I may or may not have a "Robar R3" finish put on it, and it will be a great gun.

I still see lots of Hi-powers for sale here in Mass, you just have to be patient and look a little bit.

BTW, IANAL, but if you read the laws in Mass off the GOAL site, I think you'll see that the information you've been given is incorrect.

The Browning you're buying is still a great gun, and I don't think you'll be disappointed with it for the price being asked here in the classifieds.

Bill

BTW, here is one relevant statute posted by Scrivener in another thread.

501 CMR 7.05: Compliance

(1) Any licensee that sells, rents, leases, delivers or offers for sale, rent, lease, transfer or delivery any firearm not an Approved Firearm shall be considered in violation of M.G.L.c. 140, § 123, except for:

(a) The sale, rental, lease, transfer or delivery of an "individual
firearm" as defined in 501 CMR 7.00 which was lawfully owned or
possessed under a license as defined in M.G.L.c. 140, §§ 122, 129B,
131, and 131F prior to October 21, 1998;

(b) The delivery of a firearm to a licensed gunsmith for the
purposes of service or repair of a firearm or the return of a
firearm to its lawful owner after service or repair by a licensed
gunsmith; or

(c) The return of a firearm by a licensed dealer to its lawful
owner where that firearm was initially delivered to that licensee for the purpose of consignment.

(2) 501 CMR 7.05 (1) shall become effective upon the Secretary's first publication of the Approved Firearms Roster.

Last edited:
Well thanks Bill for making this more clear to us all because I was certainly ASTOUNDED when I heard that....
That makes me feel better knowing that I was given mis information. I will try and educate my dealer on this and hopefully he sees the light.
Yeah I am stoaked about getting this Hi Power. A gun I have always wanted.

thanks Bill....[grin]

Hi-Power

My intent is to recreate the original look of the P35. I could care less about it loosing value or what its worth. I know what its worth to me and could care less what anyone else thinks its worth since I wont be selling it and if I ever do I can put the other parts back on. I want an original looking Hi Power that is in good shape that can be a shooter for me.
Sure Bill I would love to get together and go shooting. Exchange of info is always a good thing. [grin] Anytime bro.... There are some good ranges up my way (Northfield, MA) and even some good ones in NH and VT which are both 5 minutes away from my house here in MA.
As always guys, thanks so much for all of your input as you guys are great and I really appreciate your helpful insight.
thanks,
Rob
I was at LaRocca`s Saturday and I`m pretty sure he had a Hi-Power in the showcase. I`d call Mike before you purchase the gun off of a website.

Back
Top Bottom