Buttstock Options for AR-15 in MA

Hey guys,

I'm currently working to assemble my lower receiver on my AR build. Trying to find a good looking MA buttstock that looks like an M4. Looking for something non collapsable since I live in MA and dont feel like dealing with any BS. Any names of companies that offer these. It's hard finding a buttstock that is mass compliant it seems like. Most are collapsable. Any websites to check?

Every time someone uses a pinned collapsible in MA, god kills a kitten (or puppy).

[puke]

-Mike

Most of the gun shops I've gone onto have fixed m4 style stocks in stock as normal inventory

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Get a Magpul Moe stock and pin it. Sorry, I know most do not want to hear that, but its easy and simple to do. Also, a Moe stock is cheap. Put the Moe on, position it to where it fits you best, and drill a hole through it and the buffer tube (bottom of tube) and punch a pin in. It's done! That simple...takes you 5 minutes and about .75 cents at home depot for the pin.
IMG_1154.jpg

IMG_1153.jpg

Last edited:
i pinned moe too... sorry drgrant. i set it to a comfortable spot, drilled & pinned. be careful not to drill all the way through other side of stock. the law (as explained to me) is that is has to be blind pinned, which means the pin cant be seen on both sides. worst case is if you have to move it you just drill hole then put a dab of silicone over the hole.

Lol this is why I run only A2's! I refuse to have a non functioning colapsable stock.

I agree. Couldn't stand the fake m4 stock on my AR so I swapped it to an A1 stock

d01b44fd-2a4d-6fad.jpg

I still have my fixed M4 stock but I want to hang onto it for now

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Last edited:
i pinned moe too... sorry drgrant. i set it to a comfortable spot, drilled & pinned. be careful not to drill all the way through other side of stock. the law (as explained to me) is that is has to be blind pinned, which means the pin cant be seen on both sides. worst case is if you have to move it you just drill hole then put a dab of silicone over the hole.
I've heard this before too! Any learned legal opinions on this paging lens.... Lol

I have an ACE Skeleton and it's pretty nice. There's one problem with it though and that's that the sling mount options for it blow. They could easily change it to add a swivel socket or two and they haven't done it. I don't know wtf they're thinking. Anyway, there's another option coming down the pike soon from Magpul (DrGrant pointed this out to me a couple of weeks ago).

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG404/181

P1120178-1024x684.jpg

i am wanting one of these for my AR to get rid of the hideous pinned colapsable my M&P came with, here's what i'm looking at:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR959-1.html

if i have a 16" barrel, will this make the rifle too short to be legal??

No, 26" is the min OAL for a long gun. I have an AR with the entry stock and a 14.5" barrel with a permanent comp attached which brings it out to just a tad over 16", the whole rifle is still 32" long.

Last edited:
thanks guys. i like the feel of the full length anyway, but i noticed this really short one and it made me wonder. i didn't realize model 1 had the complete kit so cheap, going to purchase it right now[smile]

I agree. Couldn't stand the fake m4 stock on my AR so I swapped it to an A1 stock

Plus, there is a little storage compartment thing, right? I also would guess these are far cheaper than the fancy/popularity stocks too. Win, win, win!

I was considering one of these from Vltor when I was building my rifle: http://www.vltor.com/rifle-modstock.htm
but ended up with a Stag A2 kit.

I have an ACE Skeleton and it's pretty nice. There's one problem with it though and that's that the sling mount options for it blow. They could easily change it to add a swivel socket or two and they haven't done it. I don't know wtf they're thinking. Anyway, there's another option coming down the pike soon from Magpul (DrGrant pointed this out to me a couple of weeks ago).

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG404/181

P1120178-1024x684.jpg

I like the looks of that one, definitely something to keep an eye out for.

I don't think the law says anything about blind or not blind, just that it isn't adjustable.

I don't think the law says anything about blind or not blind, just that it isn't adjustable.

negative.

law specifically says "Not Collapsible"

if it requires a tool to adjust, its not "collapsible". it's "adjustable". adjustable is okay (theres a LOT of us that have target rifles built off AR15 platforms with adjustable buttstocks to make the rifles fit us better. they're completely legal by MA law because it requires a tool to adjust it.

theres also nothing about requiring a blind pin. thats just stupid. now if you ever wanted to change it, you basically destroy the stock to remove the pin. woohoo.

heres an idea, if you're dead set on "pinning it"...put a tec-screw through the release handle...so you can no longer depress it an "collapse" the stock. if you wanted to adjust it, you unscrew it (with a TOOL), adjust, and reinsert the screw. problem solved.

I've heard this before too! Any learned legal opinions on this paging lens.... Lol

I'm not Len, but you could just read the law for yourself. You will see nothing in there about blind pins or needing tools or any of that crap. All that stuff is interpretation, which is a nice way to say "whatever the prosecutor / DA wants to do to **** you."

(Note it actually says "folding or telescoping" if you want to nit-pick.) [wink]

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section121

“Assault weapon”, shall have the same meaning as a semiautomatic assault weapon as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(30) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994, and shall include, but not be limited to, any of the weapons, or copies or duplicates of the weapons, of any caliber, known as: (i) Avtomat Kalashnikov (AK) (all models); (ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil; (iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70); (iv) Colt AR-15; (v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR and FNC; (vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9 and M-12; (vi) Steyr AUG; (vii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and (viii) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as, or similar to, the Street Sweeper and Striker 12; provided, however, that the term assault weapon shall not include: (i) any of the weapons, or replicas or duplicates of such weapons, specified in appendix A to 18 U.S.C. section 922 as appearing in such appendix on September 13, 1994, as such weapons were manufactured on October 1, 1993; (ii) any weapon that is operated by manual bolt, pump, lever or slide action; (iii) any weapon that has been rendered permanently inoperable or otherwise rendered permanently unable to be designated a semiautomatic assault weapon; (iv) any weapon that was manufactured prior to the year 1899; (v) any weapon that is an antique or relic, theatrical prop or other weapon that is not capable of firing a projectile and which is not intended for use as a functional weapon and cannot be readily modified through a combination of available parts into an operable assault weapon; (vi) any semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition; or (vii) any semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine.

*Text of the federal AWB referred to above:

8 U.S.C. sec. 921 (a) (30):

The term "semiautomatic assault weapon" means--

(A) any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates of the firearms in any caliber, known as--

(i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models);

(ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;

(iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70);

(iv) Colt AR-15;

(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;

(vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;

(vii) Steyr AUG;

(viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and

(ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;

(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--

(i) a folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) a bayonet mount;

(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(v) a grenade launcher;

(C) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--

(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;

(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;

(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and

(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of--

(i) a folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and

(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

Last edited:
These laws really need to be fixed once and for all.

I know, if only I had known that every time you moved a "telescoping" stock a child was murdered I wouldn't have spent DAYS doing nothing but that out of boredom.
It's for the children, you know.

On a side note, I do really like the look of the Sully Stock

Back
Top Bottom