Bush's Immigrant Bill not so bad

It seems maybe many of us, misunderstood all of the INs and OUTs of the Z Visa Bill

After reading this, it doesn't sound so bad. Maybe I am still missing something. I for one believe all of the ILLEGALS should be rounded up and sent back. If I can not have what I want, this may be acceptable.

Bush Plan Sparks Ire, Immigration Rally

Saturday, April 07, 2007

By PETER PRENGAMAN, Associated Press Writer

LOS ANGELES — Organizers expect several thousand people at an immigrant rights rally on Saturday, saying many illegal immigrants are angry about a White House plan that would grant them work visas but require them to return home and pay hefty fines to become legal U.S. residents.
Immigrant rights advocates say many of the area's illegal immigrants feel betrayed by President Bush, who they had long considered an ally.
"People are really upset," said Juan Jose Gutierrez, president of Los Angeles-based Latino Movement USA, one of several organizers of Saturday's rally. "For years, the president spoke in no uncertain terms about supporting immigration reform ... then this kind of plan comes out and people are so frustrated."
The White House's draft plan, leaked last week, calls for a new "Z" visa that would allow illegal immigrant workers to apply for three-year work permits. They would be renewable indefinitely, but would cost $3,500 each time.
To get a permit and become legal permanent residents, illegal immigrants would have to return to their home country, apply at a U.S. embassy or consulate to re-enter legally and pay a $10,000 fine.
The proposal has been sharply criticized by Hispanic advocacy groups, Democrats, the Roman Catholic Church and unions that have many immigrants in their ranks. They argue the cost of work permits and the green card application _ which could total more than $20,000 _ are prohibitive for low-wage earners. The plan is far more conservative than the one passed by the Senate last year with bipartisan backing and support from President Bush. That plan would have allowed many of the country's estimated 12 million illegal immigrants to stay in the United States, work and apply to become legal residents after learning English, pay small fines and back taxes and clear a background check.
Many Senate conservatives opposed that plan, and it failed to gain traction in the then Republican-controlled House.

At least it's a step-forward in the right direction. Whether or not it's actually implemented is another question.

The only part I disagree with is the fees... citizenship should be earned, not paid for. At the very least they should make the fees something more appropriate that these people could reasonably afford. A single person would have enough trouble coming up with that kind of cash. It would be nearly impossible (or extremely difficult), for a family of 3-4 to come up with that kind of money.

Then again, that could be the devil in the details. Legislators will see the proposal as unfeasible and vote against it. That way Bush still maintains the current immigration policy, but then he can say to his critics that at least he tried.

I saw a break down of the "leaked" bill that stated immigrants were NOT required to return home before applying. I'll look around to see if I can find it again.

LoginName

If they didn't want to pay the FEEs they could ahve come in here LEGALLY.
These ILLEGALS have been here and many have held som ereal decent jobs. They haven't paid their fair share in Taxes, have nurse fed on the system, got an Education etc and all at OUR expense.

I watched where one ILLEGAL was being Deported back to Columbia and he was complaining how he had a Trucking Company In L.A. for 24 years and was being forced to leave it all behind. Did he pay his taxes? Was he fair and equal competition for other trucking companies or did he have an unfair advantage over them because he didn't share the same over head.
If they don't want to pay the fines, they can head back over the border the same way they came. There are LEGALS who spend many years trying to earn their Legal Citizenship and for the Illegals to be able to side-step the process is grossly unfair and unacceptable.
Lawmakers in Washington D.C. are suppose to be making laws with the understanding they will be enforced. To even hint that they want any type of Amnesty for these ILLEGALS is a complete insult and example of them not taking their jobs in Washington very serious.

Martlet

I thought the same thing, when I read it, and I do not remember the large fines etc. So to read this article was an eye opener. If true

LoginName

If they didn't want to pay the FEEs they could ahve come in here LEGALLY.
These ILLEGALS have been here and many have held som ereal decent jobs. They haven't paid their fair share in Taxes, have nurse fed on the system, got an Education etc and all at OUR expense.

I watched where one ILLEGAL was being Deported back to Columbia and he was complaining how he had a Trucking Company In L.A. for 24 years and was being forced to leave it all behind. Did he pay his taxes? Was he fair and equal competition for other trucking companies or did he have an unfair advantage over them because he didn't share the same over head.
If they don't want to pay the fines, they can head back over the border the same way they came. There are LEGALS who spend many years trying to earn their Legal Citizenship and for the Illegals to be able to side-step the process is grossly unfair and unacceptable.
Lawmakers in Washington D.C. are suppose to be making laws with the understanding they will be enforced. To even hint that they want any type of Amnesty for these ILLEGALS is a complete insult and example of them not taking their jobs in Washington very serious.

Martlet

I thought the same thing, when I read it, and I do not remember the large fines etc. So to read this article was an eye opener. If true

Trust me... I'm no big fan of illegal immigration or illegal immgrants.

If it were up to me, there would be a heavily armed presence stationed full-time at the border and operations like the New Bedford raid would be a common occurrence. However, just like Bushs plan... neither one is going to happen.

As for the tax dodgers, I wonder how many illegals (given their wage earnings and number of dependents), wouldn't receive a full refund even if they did pay taxes?

I think a better (and maybe more realistic solution), would be to require some form of public service that didn't undercut already existing paying jobs or positions. (ever see "Starship Troopers" [wink] ?)

I think the fees are fine, they won't even begin to cut into the tax dollars spent supporting illegals so far. I also support the armed border presence idea!

LoginName

I hear ya, I have a problem with any form of COMPROMISE. The keyword in all of it is ILLEGAL. They had NO RESPECT for our laws when they came in and from the studies, most will be REPEAT LAW BREAKERS while they are here.
I have had a problem since Cuba sent us their 20,000 Low Life Criminals and we accepted them. We need our heads examined. Why are we being so TOLERABLE? Why are we so willing to accept?

The problem with this thing is it says nothing about stepping up
enforcement efforts or the like. All this thing does is provide a
buyout for illegals with nothing on the plus side for us. These people
can't afford those fees to begin with, why do you think they're sneaking in
here to go to work? I don't see how this bill changes anything, honestly... even
if it passed we'd be in the same pot of shit with illegals that we are
now.

-Mike

New Bills ? New Bills ... we don't need no stinkin new bills ...

So after THIS new bill , will we begin to enforce the rules ? Or maybe after the next New Bill. ... ?

We're arguing about what kind of screens to put in the windows when we have no doors on the building. Build a damn wall , put armed troops or unfettered Feds on the border , and close the damn door.

The we can argue about what to do with the illegals that are here already.

Back
Top Bottom