• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bursting with Joy for the new RI Judiciary Committee!

The new Speaker of the RI House has put Cale Keable and Doreen Costa in charge of the House Judiciary! Both of them are NRA Victory Fund endorsed and Costa has been a rabid and vocal opponent of any new firearms legislation in Rhode Island. I just hope it lasts…..

Now we need to beat down the doors of the RI Senate, but with the RI House in our corner, there is little the Senate can do.

Won't be any more gun control legislation in RI... that is until Matiello is arrested :)

Due to my change in residency, I, fortunately, missed the hearings this month. I was quite disappointed in Ms. Costa during the 2013 hearings as she refused to ask the tough questions of any pro-gun control witness. I even spoke to her prior to the hearings regarding specific questions and she said she thought it was "inappropriate and disrespectful." No, what was inappropriate and disrespectful was the pro-gun control people spewing lies and fear mongering. I was at the hearings for many hours and did not hear her ask a singe useful question. While we can certainly count on her vote, I lost a lot of respect for her after seeing her lack of performance during the committee hearing.

Last edited:
Now some pro firearm bills can be brought back up again such as the automatic pistol permit renewal.

Last edited:
Due to my change in residency, I, fortunately, missed the hearings this month. I was quite disappointed in Ms. Costa during the 2013 hearings as she refused to ask the tough questions of any pro-gun CONTROL witness. I even spoke to her prior to the hearings regarding specific questions and she said she thought it was "inappropriate and disrespectful." No, what was inappropriate and disrespectful was the pro-gun CONTROL people spewing lies and fear mongering. I was at the hearings for many hours and did not hear her ask a singe useful question. While we can certainly count on her vote, I lost a lot of respect for her after seeing her lack of performance during the committee hearing.

I think we know what you meant, but FIFY.

Now we need to beat down the doors of the RI Senate, but with the RI House in our corner, there is little the Senate can do.
The RI Senate has already been in our corner and it was the House we had to worry about.
Both the Chair and Vice-Chair of the Senate Judiciary are A rated with the NRA. Even though Teresa Paiva-Weed (Senate President) is rated A by the NRA, she is the one I am most worried about. She can change the Senate Judiciary Chair to someone less favorable to gun rights if she wants to push through legislation. However, if the House stays where it is, there would be almost no point in doing that.
The Senate Judiciary Vice-Chairperson (Hodgson) is running for Attorney General and he is definitely on our side. It is too bad that we will lose him in the Senate, but we can hope he becomes the next AG..

Costa's victories in the last two elections have both been narrow, and I expect the Dems will put a lot of effort/money into the next election in trying to unseat her..

Last edited:
Doreen came around the state house to check on everyone in the overflow room and see how we were doing. It was much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom