Bump Stocks Banned in MA??? No possession allowed, period.

I'll offer to take any bump stocks off y'alls hands next weekend when I'm up there. 10% of what you paid for it. Fair price, right? I'll meet you at the NH/MA border - north of it.

Mike, Where is this language? Is this the green card for “collectors” language?
For some reason I can't find it at the moment, but yeah it's an addition to the language in the current law regarding instructors and collectors being issued machine gun licenses.

Mass. Gen. Laws ch. 140, § 131(o)
No person may carry or possess a machine gun in Massachusetts without a specially issued machine gun license. The licensing authority or the colonel of state police may issue a machine gun license to: (a) a firearm instructor certified by the municipal police training committee for the sole purpose of firearm instruction to police personnel; or (b) a bona fide collector of firearms upon application or upon application for renewal of such license.1

Ah here it is.

SECTION 21. Paragraph (o) of section 131 of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is
254 hereby amended by adding the following sentence:- Clauses (i) and (ii) of this paragraph shall
255 not apply to bump stocks and trigger cranks.

If post #34 is accurate, the MG license is not required.

How so? Here is the amended text of Ch 140 Sec 131 after applying the SECTION 21 text from post #34:

(o) No person shall be issued a license to carry or possess a machine gun in the commonwealth, except that a licensing authority or the colonel of state police may issue a machine gun license to:
(i) a firearm instructor certified by the municipal police training committee for the sole purpose of firearm instruction to police personnel;
(ii) a bona fide collector of firearms upon application or upon application for renewal of such license.

Clauses (i) and (ii) of this paragraph shall not apply to bump stocks and trigger cranks.

So there's three steps to this paragraph now:
Step 1) Nobody gets a machine gun license, **** off.
Step 2) Well, I GUESS special instructors and bona fide collectors can get machine gun licenses, those jerks
Step 3) BUT NOT FOR BUMP STOCKS AND TRIGGER CRANKS. **** THOSE THINGS.

So, a licensing authority (or the colonel of the state police) may issue a machine gun license under the exceptions specified in clauses (i) and (ii), but those clauses do not apply to bump stocks and trigger cranks. The wording is definitely a bit cumbersome, but my reading is that the licensing authority/colonel may not issue a machine gun license for bump stocks and trigger cranks.

For clarity, the other relevant portion of the passed bill is the following:

SECTION 18. Section 121 of chapter 140 of the General Laws, as so appearing, is hereby amended by inserting after the word “gun”, in line 100, the following words:- ; provided, however, that “machine gun” shall include bump stocks and trigger cranks.

The modified portion of Ch 140 Section 121 is as follows:

''Machine gun'', a weapon of any description, by whatever name known, loaded or unloaded, from which a number of shots or bullets may be rapidly or automatically discharged by one continuous activation of the trigger, including a submachine gun; provided, however, that “machine gun” shall include bump stocks and trigger cranks.

SECTION 19 and SECTION 20 of the bill add definitions for "bump stock" and "trigger crank" to Section 121.

SECTION 53 additionally makes it illegal to "purchase, sell or offer for sale a bump stock or trigger crank"

So, SECTION 18 makes all bump stocks and trigger cranks are machine guns, and SECTION 21 makes it so you can't get a MG license just for bump stocks and trigger cranks.

It does appear, however, that if you have a MG license for other reasons, like having actual machine guns, then it is legal for you to to possess a bump stock/trigger crank.

I suppose a more "MA-esque" interpretation of the language in SECTION 21 of the bill would be that MG licenses simply do not cover bump stocks and trigger cranks at all, and possessing them would be illegal even if you have a MG license. This is, of course, also the stupidest interpretation of that language, because if they wanted bump stocks and trigger cranks to not be covered by the MG license then why the **** would they define them as being "machine guns" rather than just saying "bump stocks and trigger cranks are banned"?

Ah here it is.

SECTION 21. Paragraph (o) of section 131 of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is
254 hereby amended by adding the following sentence:- Clauses (i) and (ii) of this paragraph shall
255 not apply to bump stocks and trigger cranks.

Look at paragraph q of that same section.

The way I read it, the above mentioned section(s) states who can get a class 3 license, then everything below it covers what you can own.

I could be wrong though, I don't claim to be a MA law expert.

I suppose a more "MA-esque" interpretation of the language in SECTION 21 of the bill would be that MG licenses simply do not cover bump stocks and trigger cranks at all, and possessing them would be illegal even if you have a MG license. This is, of course, also the stupidest interpretation of that language, because if they wanted bump stocks and trigger cranks to not be covered by the MG license then why the **** would they define them as being "machine guns" rather than just saying "bump stocks and trigger cranks are banned"?

We'll just have to wait until the time is right for another AG interpretation.

I wouldn't put it past this state to ban loose fitting stocks that turn your rifle into an inaccurate toy, but allows actual MGs.

Look at paragraph q of that same section.

The way I read it, the above mentioned section(s) states who can get a class 3 license, then everything below it covers what you can own.

I could be wrong though, I don't claim to be a MA law expert.
What about paragraph (q) changes my interpretation? Nothing in the bill explicitly makes it illegal to POSSESS a bump stock or trigger crank, only purchasing, selling, or offering for sale. Section (q) reinforces that having a green card doesn't circumvent that restriction.

Making them into machine guns effectively bans them for anyone who doesn't have a green card, and adding that piece to paragraph (o) makes it impossible to get a green card for the sole purpose of possessing bump stocks and trigger cranks.

What about paragraph (q) changes my interpretation? Nothing in the bill explicitly makes it illegal to POSSESS a bump stock or trigger crank, only purchasing, selling, or offering for sale. Section (q) reinforces that having a green card doesn't circumvent that restriction.

Making them into machine guns effectively bans them for anyone who doesn't have a green card, and adding that piece to paragraph (o) makes it impossible to get a green card for the sole purpose of possessing bump stocks and trigger cranks.

Here's section q.

(q) Nothing in this section shall authorize the purchase, possession or transfer of any weapon, ammunition or feeding device that is, or in such manner that is, prohibited by state or federal law.

Like I said, I might be reading it wrong. If it's what I think it is, they prohibited bump stocks by state law, therefore the class 3 license doesn't make bumpstocks legal in any way.

Here's section q.

Like I said, I might be reading it wrong. If it's what I think it is, they prohibited bump stocks by state law, therefore the class 3 license doesn't make bumpstocks legal in any way.
They did NOT prohibit bump stocks by law. They defined bump stocks as machine guns, and prohibited the purchase, sale, or offering for sale of them.

The thread title is technically incorrect. Note that "possess" is not prohibited.

BUT, they have been redefined as "machine guns" so if you already own one, or are gifted one, you need a MA Machine Gun License.

So if you don't have an MA license you would be in violation correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do the terms post sample, pre sample and transferable not apply because this is state and not federal law? I've been looking at N.H. but I think it's too polluted by former Ma residents.

They did NOT prohibit bump stocks by law. They defined bump stocks as machine guns, and prohibited the purchase, sale, or offering for sale of them.

Exactly, that's the catch 22, you can't have a bump stock because it's a machine gun, therefore prohibited. Then, the clause in the law doesn't allow a person with a class 3 to have one due to the prohibition.

That's the way I'm reading it at least.

By this logic they could reclassify my dog as a wolf and say that I can only keep him if I go through whatever frigging paperwork you need to keep a wolf. This is actually a step stupider than that because we’re talking about an accessory. It’s like saying they can reclassify my dog’s collar as a wolf.

I called Faker's office the other day and told the rep that if this was signed it would guarantee I'm not voting for the RINO's reelection so I'm going to follow through. If we're going to have a Dem governor then I may as well vote for the democrat honest enough to call himself one. Really, I'll prob just write in Ronald McDonald as I wouldn't be able to bring myself to actually vote for a dem.
This. If you can't vote for his opponent at least write in "anybody but Baker".
Here we go with this again?..
("Hmmm.. Well, honey, we might as well just vote for this Harvard girl, what's her name? Liz Warren?.. instead of that RINO Scott Brown...")

Last edited:
By this logic they could reclassify my dog as a wolf and say that I can only keep him if I go through whatever frigging paperwork you need to keep a wolf. This is actually a step stupider than that because we’re talking about an accessory. It’s like saying they can reclassify my dog’s collar as a wolf.
Don't give them any ideas...or the next thing you know you'll be paying them a $250 (or whatever) fee to license your Big Bad Wolf...

Just sayin'

The classification of a non-firearm as a machine gun is not in fact a unique legal move by Massachusetts. MA law is actually unusual in that it does not consider a serialized receiver a gun (handgun, rifle or shotgun) like federal law does. Federal law similarly classifies items as machine guns that are not guns. I own a post sample MP5 machine gun. The receiver for this is a non-NFA "gun" (receiver) under federal law as it has never had a semi-auto trigger group installed in it though it does have a sub 16" barrel. That is my first serialized component and it cannot fire a round easily (no trigger group). I also have a NFA item classified as a "machine gun". This is the serialized full auto trigger group. Under MA law the two items apart are chunks of metal. Under fed law the trigger group is a machine gun and the balance (ok, just the receiver, but all the rest of the stuff is attached) is a gun (receiver in my bound book).

Under MA law I now have a new machine gun in my possession, though this one in personal possession versus my FFL. The bump stock in my safe attached to an NES group buy lower with the LPK installed is a machine gun in MA and a receiver under federal law.

Both MA and Federal law cause odd things to occur as part of the attempts to regulate firearms. MA is not doing something that unique in the labeling of some collection of parts as a machine gun.

And to be VERY clear since this is NES and some keyboard warrior will decide I am somehow supporting this crap, I DO NOT BELIEVE IN ANY FIREARM REGULATIONS.

Last edited:
Well, if anyone in MA isnt going to keep their stock, ill take them.PM me
We should still keep as many as possible in the state with those who can have them.

You can't sell them, but you can still give them to someone with a MG license.

Well if anyone i MA isnt going to keep their stock, ill take them.PM
We should still keep as many as possible in the state with those who can have them.

You can't sell them, but you can still give them to someone with a MG license.

You cant sell them while standing inside the Commonwealth of MA, but you can meet outside of MA and sell it to anyone, MA resident, NH resident, Citizen of China, etc. Anywhere but MA it is a chunk of plastic. It might be a hassle, but you CAN sell it. All you have to do is step outside MA.

You can give it away in the state if you wanted too, the goal being to keep them in the state to spite the gun grabbers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom