Bullet Casting & Coating MegaThread

The coating held and there is a little bit of the black lube left on the bullet. I abandoned my coating project yesterday for a trip to the range but I think I may have found my issue. I found my PID was running about 30 degrees higher then when I set it up so I adjusted it and now I have to run another batch.
Running as in set to a higher temp or temperature from a different meter?

I brought the oven up to 392 via the PID and I dropped a bullet with a thermocoupler attached to get the internal temp. Once the oven got to temp the bullet kept climbing up to 430 degrees but the oven temp on the PID stayed at 392. So I adjusted the offset on the PID to correct the temp.

I went a few mins ago to fire up the oven to 100 degrees to dry the bullets for twenty and the PID is registering close to a 100 with the oven cold. I just reset it back to zero and I’m going to let the bullets dry and then bring the oven up to temp and adjust accordingly.

I brought the oven up to 392 via the PID and I dropped a bullet with a thermocoupler attached to get the internal temp. Once the oven got to temp the bullet kept climbing up to 430 degrees but the oven temp on the PID stayed at 392. So I adjusted the offset on the PID to correct the temp.

I went a few mins ago to fire up the oven to 100 degrees to dry the bullets for twenty and the PID is registering close to a 100 with the oven cold. I just reset it back to zero and I’m going to let the bullets dry and then bring the oven up to temp and adjust accordingly.
Is the PID probe getting shadowed by the bullet tray - If the oven has exposed heaters (most) then the radiant heating is very significant

So I think it was the PID and the high temps. I kept the temp between 385 and 395 and here are the bullets top to bottom at 12 , 14 and 20 mins and they all look like they passed the test.

14C6F655-01DF-4B0C-A9F4-EE77198136B0.jpeg
111B0D62-923B-4566-9ED4-761CFD8C91CD.jpeg
These all are from the water dropped run. I’m going to lube all the failures and shoot them so no major loss with the testing.

My ultimate goal is to be able to drop x pounds of bullets into the oven, let the oven come back up to temp and then bake for y amount of time. 2 pounds of room temp bullets are going to drop the oven less then ten pounds and take less time to come back to temp which would affect the overall cook time.

I could drop a bullet on the thermocouple and let it hit 180 degrees C for three mins like @pastera pointed out in a different thread a few years ago. Problem is some of the smaller diameter bullets might not like the fatter coupler from a drill and fill perspective.

I could drop a bullet on the thermocouple and let it hit 180 degrees C for three mins like @pastera pointed out in a different thread a few years ago. Problem is some of the smaller diameter bullets might not like the fatter coupler from a drill and fill perspective.
Amazon product ASIN B008S0K9KUView: https://www.amazon.com/REED-Instruments-TP-01-Beaded-Thermocouple/dp/B008S0K9KU

Amazon product ASIN B07ZNY69KGView: https://www.amazon.com/0-400C-Temperature-Sensor-Thermocouple-Copper/dp/B07ZNY69KG

You need a bare tip thermocouple - I use the blue ones and melt off the old bullets but if you leave it in the pot too long you destroy it

That looks like a real thumper. I bet that would work great on game
It was designed for a 30/30 originally
Having a wide meplate can definitely do sone damage. I know its a very distinct Smack on the target at 200 yards vs a pointy bullet.
I have shot a few gold medal scores over the years with it.
Local club its known as the poosay load.
Or cheap f*** ammo, lol

It was designed for a 30/30 originally
Having a wide meplate can definitely do sone damage. I know its a very distinct Smack on the target at 200 yards vs a pointy bullet.
I have shot a few gold medal scores over the years with it.
Local club its known as the poosay load.
Or cheap f*** ammo, lol
Hahaha. A buddy used to shoot matches with old single shots. 300 to 500 yards. Guys would camp all weekend and get smashed. They would shoot full bore black powder loads with mean hangovers.

He would sit back with his rolling block 45-70 with a 325 grain bullet and 12 grains of unique. Lobbing them in to ring the gongs. Never flinching. No headaches lol.

0512F7E3-190E-4A07-A868-76F90B69EB43.jpeg
03E06D3B-79E7-42DB-8B4A-A4554043A31C.jpeg

One batch got a little darker but I was distracted cleaning and starting to season the new mold. I managed to get through two complete heat cycles before I called it a night.

@Artie any luck with your cast x39? These came from the same mold and I’m going to pick up loading and testing them now that I don’t have to worry about losing my x39 brass is the snow.

View attachment 593781
View attachment 593782

One batch got a little darker but I was distracted cleaning and starting to season the new mold. I managed to get through two complete heat cycles before I called it a night.

@Artie any luck with your cast x39? These came from the same mold and I’m going to pick up loading and testing them now that I don’t have to worry about losing my x39 brass is the snow.
Cast about 700 but haven't coated yet. Plan on water quenching at 3rd coating like you, no plan to GC. As they dropped, doesn't even look like I have to re-size. Have IMR4198, looking at 18-21gr. What are you looking to do?

What is a good temp to run your mold at? Just thinking when I try the new mold out tonight and I preheat it what would be a good starting temp. I’ve cycled it 3x and I have one to go.

Back
Top Bottom