• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bullet Casting & Coating MegaThread

Wonder if it’s because of the profile.. not much diameter to play with at the tip. Round nose would have more volume to take advantage of. In the oven baking now
Makes sense. Maybe the 200 would have enough room.
My 200 RN came with round and penta. For the life of me I can’t find the penta pins shucks suck because they open up sooo nice.

We need to get some loads into the ballistic gel man.
I would love to do that! I have the blackout coming together with adjustable gas block and some test loads ready to go. when i get things running smooth and that 260gr mold comes in we are in for some ballistic gel slapping good times youknowhatimean!

I would love to do that! I have the blackout coming together with adjustable gas block and some test loads ready to go. when i get things running smooth and that 260gr mold comes in we are in for some ballistic gel slapping good times youknowhatimean!
Oh yeah! I haven’t done much rifle gel testing. Other than some 7.62x39 and some 5.56

Needed to try out an MP slug mold and replenish my 380 supply.
IMG_20220327_163644252.jpg
Pot cover works great - can preheat a couple of ingots and I get almost no oxidation in the melt.
The bad - hard to see the level. I have to keep an eye on the PID and refill ass soon as the temp drops (thermocouple uncovered)

IMG_20220327_163652104.jpg
Like always the MP mold is great - But it is heavy, really heavy.
Only cast a few as I'm not setup to load shells yet - maybe once supplies are more available I'll be able to get 209's and wads.

IMG_20220327_173005419.jpg
Cast up a couple of pots before I realized I grabbed the 125g 356 mold not the 102g. So now I have an extra 2k of 9mm to coat and size but still need to cast for 380.
Should have realized my mistake since the 102g only comes in 2 cavity and the 6 cavity 125 was dropping like rain.

Amazing how fast you can go through 40+ lbs of lead when your equipment is running right.

Needed to try out an MP slug mold and replenish my 380 supply.
View attachment 595720
Pot cover works great - can preheat a couple of ingots and I get almost no oxidation in the melt.
The bad - hard to see the level. I have to keep an eye on the PID and refill ass soon as the temp drops (thermocouple uncovered)

View attachment 595717
Like always the MP mold is great - But it is heavy, really heavy.
Only cast a few as I'm not setup to load shells yet - maybe once supplies are more available I'll be able to get 209's and wads.

View attachment 595718
Cast up a couple of pots before I realized I grabbed the 125g 356 mold not the 102g. So now I have an extra 2k of 9mm to coat and size but still need to cast for 380.
Should have realized my mistake since the 102g only comes in 2 cavity and the 6 cavity 125 was dropping like rain.

Amazing how fast you can go through 40+ lbs of lead when your equipment is running right.
Damn that’s beautiful.

Meet up with me sometime this week and I’ll set you up with some supplies.
AA hulls AA wads and 209s. I have some to spare and hardly ever load shotgun.

@pastera what if you drill a hole in the center of the cover and add a floating lead depth gauge which could be as simple as a rod attached to a disc that floats up and down. You could even mark 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full.
There is enough room to see the level if you look at the opening by the valve. It's just easier to look at the PID display.
The melt stays the same temp until the thermocouple is uncovered so you can run down lower than a stock pot.

At this point if I add anymore gizmos it's going to turn into an automatic casting machine.

Now I just need to convince myself I need another mold and choose which one
Or

I know what the correct answer is - just need to get past the inner skinflint.

There is enough room to see the level if you look at the opening by the valve. It's just easier to look at the PID display.
The melt stays the same temp until the thermocouple is uncovered so you can run down lower than a stock pot.

At this point if I add anymore gizmos it's going to turn into an automatic casting machine.

Now I just need to convince myself I need another mold and choose which one
Or

I know what the correct answer is - just need to get past the inner skinflint.

Put one of your Lee molds beside one of your MP molds. Just stare at them for about 15 to 20 seconds. You’ll make the right choice

New mold is amazing… had a bit of a drop issue with my second cavity and I hit it a few times with pencil but all and all it was great.

I read this and was wondering about this comment "I hit it a few times with a pencil." Are you saying this because the the graphite in a lead pencil will help the cavity with sticking?

Yes - graphite the pins on a hollow point/base mold if the bullets don't release easily
if you shoot a lot of those coated bullets - how is the barrel lead build-up situation there? do you need to clean the barrel somehow once in a while, or is it efficiently not an issue for a pistol?

Back
Top Bottom